Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 7/26/2019 1:51:08 AM   
larryfulkerson

I thought I'd run my carrier group out to near Peal and attack the one known Allied CV. As I was approaching Johnson Island some Allied heavy bombers interdicted my TF but I had 103 Zeros aboard and they didn't get any hits on anybody and I got to shoot down a few of them. As you can see in the image I have sailed within strike range and have assigned all my aircraft to do three-dot attacks on the Yorktown. And as I was sailing to the spot the carriers are in right now, I got interdicted by the Yorktown's aircraft and got two of my carriers damaged and as a result I'll have to breakoff the mission and retreat but before I leave I'll launch my strike and hope for some good hits. If he has operational aircraft after this strike I may be in trouble because it wouldn't take much to sink two of my carriers.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/26/2019 1:54:17 AM >

if the human race ever does get to be space fairing and be able to visit other worlds, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 91
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 7/26/2019 2:03:13 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the results of the Yorktown strike: It looks like all the ships in the hex are sunk and all the planes that the Allies had on the CV are gone to the bottom of the ocean. I declare this a successful strike. I'm thinking the attacking planes are yellow now and need some rest so we're pulling out at this time.

Attachment (1)

if the human race ever does get to be space fairing and be able to visit other worlds, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Post #: 92
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 7/26/2019 5:41:46 AM   
StuccoFresco

Nice.

Post #: 93
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 7/30/2019 11:09:53 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is what China looks like now. Not much change since the beginning of the game. The supply level is lower the further away from the coast you go. I'm on the verge of giving up trying to capture the railroad. I actually only need the railroad to move troops north or south as circumstances change and it's only important because Singapore is still a problem and I'll need to move the troops from the Singapore battle to northern China eventually to deal with the Communists.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to StuccoFresco)
Post #: 94
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 7/31/2019 1:18:48 AM   
larryfulkerson

I've been running into these HQ units that have a range on the unit display but if you look under the hood you find that there's no arty of any kind in the unit. So I've been adjusting the range to reflect that fact. It's less confusing that way when I'm in a hurry to find a nearby handy arty unit. Yeah, I tend to play fast. My first guess isn't always my best one but in a scenario the size of D21 et. al. it hardly ever makes a difference if I guess wrong.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 95
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 7/31/2019 4:10:15 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what the Bangkok area looks like right now. I've run some engineers up to the major bridge over the river Quai and cut the supply LOC to the Indian regiment and I'm hoping that the lack of supply will weaken the Allied unit enough for me to push it out of the way.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 96
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 7/31/2019 8:46:26 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is the view of Singapore right now. Don has turned it into a fortress and the supply situation for the Japs is poor and I'm having to save up enough supply to move or attack. This takedown is taking a lot longer than I had planned. I have enough troops there for the takedown but the supply situation is a hinderence. I think I need more ships to bombard the Allies.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 97
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/1/2019 12:23:56 AM   
larryfulkerson

Have I showed you the situation at Manila yet? I've got some small calibur ships near Bataan to keep the Marine units there from sailing away and attacks are scheduled on the Allied forces at Manila. I have plans to repair the railroad leadng to Legaspi. I have no idea how long it will take to clear out the island but I hope it won't be prolonged much longer.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 8/1/2019 12:24:14 AM >

Post #: 98
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/1/2019 12:48:04 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's going on in Java. I'm trying to reduce Batavia and I have plans to clear out the rest of the island over the next several turns. I need the ports and airfields for a defense of the DEI in future turns.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 99
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/1/2019 5:45:22 AM   
StuccoFresco

How are supplies in the small and big islands?

Post #: 100
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/1/2019 10:26:04 AM   
lecrop

I just read the AAR from the beginning and I love it . Here you have a faithful reader for the rest of the story

Post #: 101
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/8/2019 1:34:58 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: StuccoFresco
How are supplies in the small and big islands?
Tarawa has a supply point in it, as do most of the smaller islands but Makin somehow got missed. So there's no supply to be had on Makin but Tarawa is flush in supplies.

Research and Development Sitrep January 22, 1941:

My R&D team say that they have almost reached another breakthrough in explosive materials. They say that they modified one of their crushing machines to adopt diamond anvils. These will allow the pressures needed to change regular room-temperature hydrogen to metalic hydrogen. Whereas before, the near approach of the 200,000 bar pressure needed to produce metalic hydrogen only shattered the diamond anvils they were using. The new procedure calls for cooling the anvils to about 25 degrees Kelvin just prior to their use and the new alignment of the anvil's carbon atoms produces the bond strength necessary for holding back the "deatomizing" tendency of the hydrogen atoms acting on adjacent carbon atoms. This permits the hydrogen atoms to split into proton and electron and the proton particles rearrange into their new "metalic" structure with the electrons "filling in" like raisins in a cake. Upon achievement of this structure, the material becomes metastable and the pressure can now be lowered with the ultimate production of a tiny grain of metalic hydrogen of about 0.01 grams in weight, which must be kept cold... room temperatures or lower. It doesn't look like much but it actually holds 50+ times the energy that TNT will yield. But it's horribly sensitive to shock. Don't drop it. Samples of the material the size of a grain of salt, were dropped on purpose in tests, and left holes in the concrete floor where they hit. Pictures were taken to prove it. Documents were written to speculate about the appropriate handling procedures concerning this material. Eventually, we collected about 2 ounces of the material, flew it out to a test range, mounted it on a small tower about 10 feet off the ground and a sniper [ assigned to the project ] was told to shoot the stainless steel canister holding the sample [ about 250 yards away from the viewing stand ]. He did so and there was a flash of brilliant white light and a large fireball about 150 feet in diameter which rose slowly into the air changing colors from bright white to yellow then orange then red and by then it had reached 10,000 feet and was starting to spread out due to winds aloft. The only thing left of the small tower was the concrete pad it was bolted to and that [ the concrete base ] was discolored and so badly cracked and crumbling that it needed to be replaced entirely. There's talk now about making bombs out of it. Some of the materials scientists say there's ways around the sensitivity of the material and obviously more time and effort is needed yet but they think we can make bombs using this stuff.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 8/8/2019 1:42:23 AM >

Post #: 102
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/8/2019 4:10:05 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the T7 view of Malaya now. I haven't made much progress, only having almost cleared the west side of the island. There's still not enough supply reaching the Singapore area to justify any movement or attacks. I'm going to put off any major actions on Malaya and just work to restore the flow of supply and maybe move to other islands to continue the expansion of the perimeter.

I need to do some more work on Sumatra and Java and there's always the islands in the Celebes and I'd like to place some forces in the smaller islands south of Guadacanal.

I'd really like to invade Rangoon and proceed north but it's been so long since I've been working my moves for this scenario I'm not aware of what forces are available and where they might be, etc. so I'll do an inventory and take a look around for naval support and move some planes to better spots as necessary.

It is probably a good idea to isolate Australia from the west coast of the US and after that I'd like to see what naval battles I might be able to cause so long as I can stay under my LBA unbrella.

It's the 18th of January 1942 ( T7 ) and Don has had time to fly his fighters and bombers out to the smaller islands and I can expect to have to fight my way to any invasion targets from now on. Which means I'm going to have to employ my carriers on any ongoing operations for the CAP they might provide for the SCTF's I'm going to use for support when the LCU's storm ashore.

So far I've lost BB Fuso, a CA, the name of which escapes me just now and 6 DD groups. Most of the aircraft are in excellent shape, leaving my major problem being the fighting on the ground in China. I had at first thought that I needed to advance as far north in South China to give me the use of the railroad but the losses are rising enough to cause me to reconsider.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 103
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/8/2019 5:28:03 AM   
larryfulkerson

I'm finding the Chinese units nearly impossible to move by land attack without the
simultaneous use of arty and/or aircraft support. My LCU's have plenty of proficiency and are in relatively fine
health, they just lack the firepower to be more than marginally useful. I need a stack of them to do any heavy
lifting. I don't always have a stack of them to go around. The result is a mexican standoff situation in South
China. The fighting has been going on since the start of the game and the lines are roughly where they were then.
The original goal was to gain the use of the railroad but the losses are mounting and I'm feeling a need to review
my policy reguarding the railroad.

I'm not sure I have a realistic view of the goal versus the cost. There are other ways to get from Singapore to
Peiping....do I really need the railroad that badly? Would the cost be worth it to keep it away from the Allies?
What purpose does it serve for me in this war at this point in time? What could it facilitate if the Allies owned
it?

There are teams of our best people studying these questions and my opinion is that their answers depend on which
person you ask, the exact question you employ ( it's wording ), recent contingent events, if any, and at least
three more contingencies that I can't remember right now. Some having to do with the person you're asking.
Specifically the experience that person is having when you ask your question. As an example, is the person
clinically depressed, hungry, thirsty, in a great hurry, retiring soon, a recent-hire, coming down with a
cold..things like that. Things that affect the mental environment of that specific person during the duration of
your interaction with that person. And there there mitigating factors of which you aren't in control....race,
religion, *his* societial ranking relative to your's, whether or not they know whether or not you're holding a
clipboard when you ask your question. I'm pretty sure you have no idea about any of this. I didn't at first but
now there's a disipline of science studying things like this. We're keeping it a secret but internally we're
calling it Guessing 101**.

It would be really great to have an accurate mathematical model of this situation, to be able to simulate it over
and over given different starting conditions and different goals. To know what's possible, what's likely, to try
out different wild ideas to get a handle on the risk and possible benefit. In real time. Without hurting anybody
or damaging anything. That's the goal of my team of computer programmers in the R&D department. I call them The
Skunk Works. [ Their office is next door to where we store the volitile chemicals for the labs on that floor. It
stinks like a skunk down there. ] They have lofty goals and morale is high but first they have to invent
digital computing starting with what Lady ADA* has bequethed us in her writings. We have to invent a
computer language from scratch without having but a rudimentary idea about what computing IS given only the
writings of Lady ADA and her experiences with the first working computer on the planet. The computer programmer's
are calling themselves: "the first hackers". They say they might have something working in about "two weeks".
They have been saying that for over two months now.

Notes:

*:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/53131/ada-lovelace-first-computer-programmer

** [ turn up the volume to -"hear"- it.]:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AKbUm8GrbM

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 8/8/2019 5:48:46 AM >

Post #: 104
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/8/2019 6:15:42 AM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Don and I've checked out all the aircraft for appropriate missions but I haven't gone through them in OOB order to verify that they are in the best locations yet. I will do that when I get to them while I'm moving units in OOB order. I do that even though it's time consuming, hard to remember where you are in the list because it's so long, etc., because I miss moving fewer units that way and I've found that I can use the righmost column of the OOB list, "unit info" to find those units that I need to move yet digging them in as necessary, if appropriate, to zero out their MP's so that I can skip them in the list of units and move to the next unit having remaining MP's. When all the units have moved I either execute the battles or end the turn.

At any rate, I've come to the 65th Independent Bde and discovered that it's got organic arty galore. I'm impressed. It's missing about 11% of it's rifle squads but has plenty of everything else it's authorized. It's problem is that I drove it too hard in the early phase of taking down the PI [ it was in the initial invasion wave as memory serves, landing as it did at Lingayen ] and now it's low in supply and readiness and needs an extended period of time to regain it's moxie again. Moxie is in short supply and it's taking longer than I had planned for the unit. I was planning on using it to help take down Manila but it's obviously not in shape for that. Mostly I'm using it to guard the port and airfield at Laoag while it rests. There's no "training/rest" mission for LCU's like there is in WITP-AE, so simply dug-in will have to suffice for now.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 105
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/8/2019 7:50:05 AM   
larryfulkerson

I have reason to believe that I have cleared the PI except at Manila and Bataan. I'm in the process of reducing the opposition and it's turning out to be slow going because of the low supply levels. I have no good idea how much longer it will take and it's turning into a low-grade nightmare*. And to top it off, after this I still have to do Bataan** yet.

The supply levels for the Japanese units south of Manila aren't quite adequate. I find I'm having to save up enough supply to move or shoot my southern units. As a consequence the Jap units north of Manila are "pulling more than their share of the load" in this take-down project. The unions are starting to complain. We've tried rotating the troops into Lingayen on three day passes and that helped for a while. Lingayen actually isn't much besides the infracture around the ports and airfields. There's not a whole lot standing where the city itself used to be. The bombardment was designed to do this to a city/airfield/port. They have pretty pictures and graphs and charts to figure out how kill the most possible in the shortest time possible given such and such constraints, which are usually very few. No thought at all is given, that I'm aware of, to the collateral damage incurred during these operations. ****
I can't think of a way around that.

I've done a short survey of the Manila city hex and my theory for this operation code named "Impending Doom"*** is that the Allied units crammed together in that hex might include:

1 each American Inf Division, unknown designation, but it's in excellent health, obviously has 150 supply, est. readiness maybe about 60%

5 each PI Inf Divisions combined def strength approx. 20, combined offensive strength maybe 12, all 5 in good health, each approx. readinesss maybe about 20-ish.

2 separate American tank bde's, current health really geat, good to go, probable readiness of each maybe about 45, no known faults in either.

1 each US Cav Bde, UKN designation, current strengths: 1-2, good health, probable readiness around 40-ish. And one each US AA unit, 1 Engr unit, 1 each RR arty unit, etc. I need to do more recon but this will suffice for now.

There's adequate supply for the Jap units north of Manila for one more good push to consolidate ALL the Allied units into the Manila city hex itself [ the one with the Allied fighter unit on top ] and all would make a deliscious target for my BB's. Not so much my bombers this time, because of all the Allied AA parked there. All the AA assets they own need to be killed before any serious bombing should take place. Pick your battles.....We'll see what the BB's can do for about a month or so and then let loose the dogs of war. As long as there's enough supply for the southern trooops to lend a hand.
-----------------------------
Notes:

* 08May1942 Manila fell in real life.
the Battle of the Philippines, fought 8 December 1941 – 8 May 1942, was the invasion of the Philippines by Imperial Japan and the defense of the islands by United States and Filipino forces during the Second World War.

** On 09Apr1942 Bataan falls in real life
After the 09Apr1942 U.S. surrender of the Bataan Peninsula on the main Philippine island of Luzon to the Japanese, the approximately 75,000 Filipino and American troops on Bataan were forced to make an arduous 65-mile march to prison camps.

*** Operation Impending Doom was picked during the 1939 Japan/US CherryBlossom Meeting between the ambassador of Japan and the US. The ambassador of Japan said to the US ambassador words to the effect "my dick is much bigger than yours." It was then that the US ambassador suggested to the Japanese ambassador that he had no idea what he was talking about. And he could prove it. It was then that the 1939 Japan/US CherryBlossom talks ended and on his way back to Hawaii from SFO, the Japanese ambassador had the message sent to Tokyo: "Pants On Fire". He was killed and replaced upon reaching the apron at the airport. This was his funeral drudge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etAIpkdhU9Q

**** The first flicker of thought along these lines [ considering collateral damage during wartime ] to my personal knowledge, occured in the early 1970's when SOMEONE in the USAF was given the task to tabulate the collateral damage occuring in North Vietnam by the US over the years. He eventually produced a report. It was labeled "Secret" and it was locked in a safe. But a copy of his report "somehow" leaked to the media and all of a sudden it was kitchen table talk all over America. TV was in on it, radio was in on it, newsprint carried multi-page editorials about it, etc. It was the rage for about a week and a half. And then it died. Nobody mentioned it after that. Not a word was said about Kissenger being a war criminal. Nobody seemed to care that Nixon was a trator even before he became president. [ Google "North Vietnam secret agreement with pre-president Nixon". ] Although, since Vietnam and well after Lybia the USAF has changed it's mental environment, it surprises me that the other services have caught on as well. Good for them. Now-a-days it's starting to matter who else get's hurt on strikes. The public is starting to catch on too. You no longer can strike an entire wedding party with a drone at will, willy nilly caring not who else gets hurt. Too many innocent people are getting hurt for drones to be used as "mercenaries without consciousness involved". I'm aware these things can take themselves off move to the target, whatever it is that's needing to be "neutralized", identify the target, track it, establish a kill-zone around the target and itemize that kill-zone's contents and add up whatever else will be killed, destroyed, damaged [ and to what extent ], and if the sum of the tabulation is more than one [ for the number of people who will die/almost-die ] then the mission has to be postponed for a better opportunity. That's the ROE since 1998. And almost nobody follows it.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 8/8/2019 7:52:48 AM >

Post #: 106
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/9/2019 7:15:15 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what I'm talking about reguarding the Japanese supply levels in the PI right now. The presence of uninterrupted supply bubbles everywhere in the PI reveals that there are no Allied partisans remaining in the PI except for the immediate area surrounding Manila. I've decided to reduce Bataan last since it impinges on the Japanese supply levels not at all. An additional reason for the Japs to capture Manila would be for the shipyards there in the WITP-AE game. Those shipyards don't exist in TOAW but I'm pretending they do in this game to make the game more realistic for me. There's also a shipyard complex at Saigon and Hong Kong to repair ships but besides the one at Manila the only other shipyards are at Kagoshima and Yokohoma in the home islands, and the trip there is not only prolonged but requires warships to leave the vicinity of the fighting. The trip to the home island locations leaves the repaired ships out of position for operations, requiring them to move again to be useful for operations whereas a shipyard closer to the fighting, at Manila say, would leave the repaired ships ready for employment almost immediately.

Don has gathered all his heavy units to the Manila city hex and has left only token units in the hexes around that hex so it shouldn't be terribly hard to push any remaining defenders into the Manila city hex, leaving them all vulnerable to the bombardment of my supporting ships. That's my gameplan for the PI. I have no idea how much longer the Allies can hold out at Manila but I'm hoping for a conclusion to this operation in the next month or so, game time.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 107
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/9/2019 10:22:20 PM   
larryfulkerson

My R&D department has been busy and they sent me an email that I found especially noteworthy and I thought I'd share parts of it with you:
We've been experimenting with building ships using concrete and we've discovered that we need to build the inner framework of the ship first using rebar and spray concrete on the form because the shear strength of concrete is so terribly low. It's strong only against compressive forces and not stretching forces. The resulting ship is heavy, has a large draft, and it takes a large engine to get it to move at all. It's top speed is single digits. We were thinking we could use it to move cargo. One problem revealed in testing is that it's terribly sensitive to hard shocks and resonant vibrations. The material tends to crack and crumble and needs constant maintenance to fix the leaks that occur in regular service. It's expensive to perform that maintenance in terms of labor and materials and we're thinking of terminating this project.

We've discovered that we can project inaudible sound waves that we can aim at targets, have the intersecting sound waves combine in specific locataions in frequencies that are audible and localized. The result is that the operators of the equipment can "project virtual objects audibly" at specific locations at controllable volumes which means we can cause a person speaking normally/whispering/yelling to seem to exist right next to an enemy soldier at will. Actually, many different sounds are possible and are being tested. Field testing using Japanese combat soldiers is promising. The equipment gives the target the impression of the presence of an invisible enemy soldier adjacent to him/her and causes anxiety to the extent that the target will often flee. Using the target's cultural superstitious memes are especially effective because some cultures have frightful superstitious spiritual memes to draw upon. Americans believe in ghosts for example. Testing is ongoing.

There's more yet and I'm having it decoded as we speak but from what I can discern the topics will include
Training Dolphins
X-ray machines to see through the walls of a building
eliminating the human body's waste products
alternate oxygenation schemes for UDT units
projection of high energy lazer pulses into the atmosphere above enemy bases
a meteorlogical ( weather ) team near the Mongolian arctic circle
shooting a lazer beam at a black hole to harvest a LOT of energy
pharmacudicals for the troops / aircrews / sailors

Stand by for more news.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 8/10/2019 12:44:32 AM >

Post #: 108
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/10/2019 11:35:00 AM   
larryfulkerson

My R&D department sent me another email:
Training Dolphins
We have discovered that dolphins are more intelligent than we thought and can be taught tricks and a rudamentary language and we have a small team of people at Kobe NAS working with four candidate dolphins to identify specific ships given only a look at a picture of the ship. The tests are inconclusive and ongoing. We hope to one day to be able to strap a bomb on them, have them swim up underneath a specific ship and then just wait for a timer to go off, destroying the ship. It's hoped this can be done to a moving ship.

X-ray machines to see through the walls of a building
We've discovered that if you boost the power of an X-ray machine you can effectively see through the walls of a structure and can descern most of the contents by shapes. We're still going through the possible uses for this capability and making a list.

Eliminating the human body's waste products
We're wondering if it's possible to eliminate the need for the individual soldier to rid himself of any physical waste at all. It's not known what benefits this may incur and it's not, as far as we know, a priority, the idea originated at GHQ, across the street from R&D in Tokyo.

Alternate oxygenation schemes for UDT units
The IJN reports that their UDT teams are being discovered and killed because of the tell-tell trail of bubbles that their underwater breathing equipment produces. They want equipment that will supply air without any bubbles given off. We're working on a mobile fuel cell that runs in reverse: you supply it with electricity and it splits the water into H2 and O and the gasses can be captured. Usually the H2 is just released into the exhaust water as very fine bubbles but the O2 is captured and pumped into a tank until approx 15 psi is reached and that pressure is maintained throughout the dive. The problem is that it's so freaking heavy. And it's 1/4 the size of a car. The work on this project is proceeding.

Projection of high energy pulses into the atmosphere above enemy bases/units
We've been trying to build a lazer but it's not working and we're not sure why. The contingencies we've identified so far are: materials used in construction, voltages employed, ambient temperature, and who's holding the clipboard when the experiment is performed. It's hit or miss in other words. We think we can use the material to pump a LOT of energy into the atmosphere above the enemy base to expand the layers holding most of the water vapor in the air and cause it to rain in torrents. It takes a lot of energy and it takes most of a day to give an effect and it has actually not been proven to work at all. The data taken so far are still down in the noise and more trials are scheduled for late fall.

We've established a small meteorological base near the Mongolian arctic circle at a secret location.
I've not been told the location either and I'm not sure anyone in the building knows where it is. It's that secret. It's thought that bad weather often starts there and migrates SE into the airspace over the home islands, arriving only a couple of days later. Advanced notice of bad weather would help planning and logistics. It's worth a try. Most it'll cost us is the small team out there.

Shooting a lazer beam at a black hole to harvest a LOT of energy
This idea is from the theorical folks. They say that if we can ever get the lazer working we can aim it at a black hole, or rather at a specific spot near the black hole and the pulse of photons will loop around the black hole in a slingshot effect, gaining energy as it moves, and when it emerges on the other side of the black hole going in the opposite direction it will have picked up approx. 874Mj/Ns of force [ "eight hundred and seventy four Mega newtons per second" ] which works out to approx. 9 kwatt-hours for each kwatt-hour invested. Now all we need are a working lazer and a nearby black hole, if those things really exist at all. The work is ongoing.

Pharmaceuticals for the troops / aircrews / sailors
We've been experimenting with some chemical compounds trying to boost the output of our warriors and we've had some promising results to date. Using cocaine as a base we've developed at least four compounds that are giving results that warrent further testing. Some of the troops can stay up for four or five days at a time without obvious harm. Further trials are scheduled. A small CD team near Yokohoma has volunteered for testing and it was decided to use them as we have used them in the past and they know the protocol.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 8/10/2019 6:02:20 PM >

Post #: 109
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/11/2019 10:25:46 PM   
thomasharvey

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

I thought I'd run my carrier group out to near Peal and attack the one known Allied CV. As I was approaching Johnson Island some Allied heavy bombers interdicted my TF but I had 103 Zeros aboard and they didn't get any hits on anybody and I got to shoot down a few of them. As you can see in the image I have sailed within strike range and have assigned all my aircraft to do three-dot attacks on the Yorktown. And as I was sailing to the spot the carriers are in right now, I got interdicted by the Yorktown's aircraft and got two of my carriers damaged and as a result I'll have to breakoff the mission and retreat but before I leave I'll launch my strike and hope for some good hits. If he has operational aircraft after this strike I may be in trouble because it wouldn't take much to sink two of my carriers.

This is an excellent example of carrier vs carrier combat in TOAW IV. The Japanese spot the US carriers and move in to range. Fortunately the US player had the wisdom of placing his naval bombers on sea interdiction as a defensive measure. When the Japanese ships moved into range the US aircraft struck first. Unfortunately the US escorting fighters did not show up! The defending Zero fighters managed to prevent fatal damage to their carriers. I think if the US Wildcats had gone with the strike, the lightly armored Japanese carriers would have been either sunk or damaged over 50% which would destroy all the aircraft on the damaged ships and prevent aircraft operations on the damaged carriers until the ships are repaired to over 50%. Note in the damage report it is over 50% damage inflicted. Also note that each group has TWO carriers so the damage is shared by the two and then is less than 50% damage to each.

There are a number of reasons why the US escorting fighters did not show up. One, they could have been sent elsewhere the turn before and they were not in range. Second, they might have been on rest and not air superiority. Third, they may have been reorganizing at a very bad time. And finally, sometimes fighters, both CAP and escorting, simply stay on the deck and not all participate! That is why you want as many as possible within range to help with that.

Then the Japanese fleet strikes back with a massive force with all their aircraft including escorting Zeros. The US aircraft are overwhelmed at over two to one with the US carriers sunk. While they can take more damage than the Japanese carriers, the US carriers were simply overwhelmed.

With the forces involved it should have been a US victory. Instead it is a serious blow to the US forces. A reverse battle of Midway result.

I might also note that both fleets could have been larger which would have made a difference. For carrier battles you want to keep all your large carriers together at all times for maximum power and protection. Later the US can have multiple fleets of carriers. Both fleets need a lot more escorting ships to provide AAA.

< Message edited by thomasharvey -- 8/11/2019 10:31:52 PM >

Post #: 110
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/11/2019 11:55:01 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

There are a number of reasons why the US escorting fighters did not show up.

Hey Thomas: good to hear from you again. I thought you might like this incident.

Actually, I was aiming to park the CV's at the "sweet spot" that range where I can use ALL my aircraft
but was at such a range from the American CV's that his fighters wouldn't be able to reach any of my
floating assets. I have no idea what the ranges of the Allied aircraft are but it's my understanding
that MY fighters have a longer range than is do. I'm trying to use that to my advantage here.

(in reply to thomasharvey)
Post #: 111
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/13/2019 5:59:52 AM   
larryfulkerson

There's still two hot spots going on besides the constant fighting in China. Operation Impending Doom, the project to clear the entire PI islands and all the smaller islands all the way down to and including Java, is still ongoing and progress is being made. I've captured Wake and I've got plans for Midway in the near future.

The Americans destroyed my garrison unit at Attu and I'm wondering what to do about that. Do I need a presence in the northern Alaskan island chain? It's so far away from all the other Japanese instillations that it might prove problematic to defend. None of my home islands aircraft has the range sufficient to defend the island. I'm thinking that right now I don't need any forces up there. Depending on what Don does with his carriers I may have to reconsider.

I'm down to perhaps three divisions unemployed in the home islands for a strategic reserve. Only three of my aircraft units are yellow....the rest are green. More details when I discover them.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 112
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/13/2019 12:49:14 PM   
larryfulkerson

It's 25Jan42 and this is what the PI looks like now. I've chased all the partisans into the Manila perimeter and I'm making attacks to reduce the Allied footprint on the ground. Don has retreated almost everybody into the Manila city hex and has left a couple of hexes further out but I'm reducing them as supply permits and I've worked the offshore BB's just a little too hard and now at least one of them is yellow and needs to rearm and refit and Lingayen is just the place for them to go. It's close, has bou cou supply and has a nearby airfield to CAP over the ship(s) there. Just in case there are any Allied aircraft left that will fly in range. An Allied partisan dropped one of the bridges up north and I've not fixed it yet as it has no priority at all. I suppose I'll eventually send some engineers up there to fix it after the PI is cleared.

I've been working on the railroad leading south from Manila because I'm going to fix it eventually anyway and it gives my engineers something to do while they wait for Manila to fall. There are two American Marine units at or near Bataan and they have a supply point so they are going to be especially hard to dislodge. I'm leaving them for the last thing to work on in the PI. I'm thinking of moving one of the fleet HQ units to Lagaspi* [s/b Legaspi ] because I want it to be closer to the ships it governs and Lagaspi has ample supply and nearby airfields and is a great port [ lots of adjacent blue water hexes ].

If I were playing WITP-AE as the Jap player I would be routing a lot of my AK's ( transports ) to Hong Kong and Pescadores and Cam Rahn Bay to start up the routes that would convey RES ( resorces ), OIL, and FUEL to the home islands. And Don would no doubt be routing a lot of his Allied subs to the South China Sea to attempt interdiction of all that traffic. Not to mention the area immediately around Tokyo's port. And I would deploy a lot of spotter planes to fly ASM missions to try to find and sink the subs and it would become a war within a war. When I'm the Allied player I establish sub bases at Midway and Canton island. The subs at Midway ply the waters around Tokyo and the subs based at Canton inhabit the waters around Truk and Kwajalene.

The Japs start WITP-AE games with a sub base alrleady established at Kwajaline and when I'm the Jap player I like to move it to Rabaul or Guadalcanal as those places become available. In this game with Don, similar situations would tend to prompt similar decisions since many of the same principles apply even though TOAW has no submarine unit.

I'm finding the naval HQ units largely superflous. The air HQ's and LCU HQ's can still park adjacent to their units and lend support but the naval HQ units rarely if ever have any ships parked adjacent. I find myself flying the naval HQ units to where the ships are every other turn. The ships are moving to spots appropriate to the Allied threat and the HQ unit(s) have to relocate as needed to support. If and when the operational tempo slows down that may change.

I'm planning on using Manila as one of my major ports because of it's location. If I were running logistics to the home islands Manila would be a major hub. I'm planning on opening a major depot at Manila to repair damaged equipment rather than shipping it all the way to the home islands. I think I've already mentioned the major ship repair yards there.

---------------------------
Notes:
* Legazpi, officially the City of Legazpi, and often referred to as Legazpi City, is a 1st Class component city and the capital of the province of Albay in the Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 196,639. Wikipedia

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 8/13/2019 12:51:25 PM >

Post #: 113
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/17/2019 12:41:42 AM   
larryfulkerson

I moved enough units to New Caledonia to garrison all the ports, and some arty and an HQ to provide arty support etc. I plan on attacking the Allied garrison at Noumea so that I can own the entire island. It's just off the east coast of Australia and provides an excellent jumping off spot for further excursions to the SE. I'm looking at Tahiti as a long term goal. If I had some subs I would base them out of New Caledonia to harrass the east coast of OZ and New Zealand and the smaller islands leading to Pearl. One of my favorite tactics is to park my sub in the same hex as the harbor and let it get detected. After the Allied player knows that I have a sub there the effect is that port is closed to ship traffic until an Allied TF can be mounted to drive out there to chase my sub away. That gives me the opportunity to strike with my carriers. The sub is the bait. But alas, TOAW has no sub unit. That's another reason I play WITP-AE from time to time. I miss my subs. I never seem to feel a need to fire up WITE though.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 8/17/2019 12:44:21 AM >

Post #: 114
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/17/2019 12:53:42 AM   
larryfulkerson

I'm listening to this as I do my moves. I reccommend it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyJ0_Ds7F0s

Attachment (1)

Post #: 115
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/17/2019 3:25:08 AM   
larryfulkerson

I finally cleared all of Malaya except for Singapore just now and I'm hoping I can repair the rail quickly all the way to Singapore to give the troops there enough supply to mount some attacks. During the playback I saw some Indian troops moving toward Bangkok that I'll need to deal with so I'm planning on using some of the troops nearest Bangkok to move north and set up some defensive positions. The supply levels are too low north of Bangkok to get into a small war so I'm planning on just defending for now.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 116
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/17/2019 4:11:54 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what I mean by low supply levels north of Bangkok. I'm doing all I can to get the supply to flow north from the port but my best efforts so far are lacking. The terrain is the wrong kind to try to push an advance through. I'm just going to try to push up to the river and then just hold what I've got in this sector of the war. If I should, sometime in the near future, somehow scrape together enough divisions to storm Rangoon via the sea then the story may change for these troops. Whether or not I'll have sufficient troops to try a Rangoon assault depends on what happens in South China. I'll post a picture to show you what I mean.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0W1v0kOELA&list=RDzFQvcs4Ux58&index=5

Attachment (1)

Post #: 117
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/17/2019 4:21:49 AM   
larryfulkerson

Before I show you a zoom-out of the China theater let me show you what's going on under the hood for most of my troops. This particular regiment is seriously degraded in the number of rifle squads it has compared with the number that are assigned. It's not missing much of it's equipment, just the soldiers. This constant attacking is wearing out my units. I'm going to have to call a halt in this part of the theater and let my units regain their full compliment again. I don't need the railroad for a while yet anyway.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 118
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/17/2019 4:33:18 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the south China theater right now. I seem to have trapped some Chinese units behind my lines and I'm slowly getting to them one at a time to destroy them. Supply levels are really low and I'm having to save up to move or attack. There's a huge gap in my lines and I need to move at least two divisions into that area to form a line at the very least. I can imagine Don moving his units to that area as we speak. I see a lot of broken bridges north of the gap and I'm guessing that means he has very few units in that area. I could be very wrong. I'll look around and see who's available right away.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 119
RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies - 8/17/2019 5:05:20 AM   
larryfulkerson

I'm doing a study of Midway and I've found some details to include in my planning. One good thing is that Don has no anti-ship planes based there ( yet ) and that means his island is vulnerable to my carrier strikes. I'd like to drive out there and sink his DD's.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Pacific at War 1941-1945 v.3.63 Don is Allies Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI