Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rail capacity

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Rail capacity Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rail capacity - 6/18/2019 11:58:15 AM   
tonyscrase

am I right in thinking you never get to see the affect of transporting logistics on railways. Because this is carried out during the logistics phase
At the end of the logistics "the accumulated friendly rail line usage in each hex is reduced to the higher of either current rail usage divided by six or enemy air interdiction value" [rule 14.2.4]
And it is this you see. (i think I am right in saying this BUT I am not sure)

Perhaps a better player than me can clarify this

THANK YOU
Post #: 1
RE: Rail capacity - 6/18/2019 1:31:28 PM   
Searry

Could you clarify what you would want to see?

(in reply to tonyscrase)
Post #: 2
RE: Rail capacity - 6/18/2019 2:16:41 PM   
tonyscrase

Hi Searry
It would be great to see the rail usage after the transport of freight before the usgae levels have been divided by six ready for the next turn. This would give a far better better view on the pressures and constraints of moving freight

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 3
RE: Rail capacity - 6/18/2019 2:49:36 PM   
Searry

That stuff is pretty advanced, I would say don't try to move units via interdicted rail too much. Kinda a non-answer but if you're thinking about how the interdiction affects moving units after supply and depot priority stuff, that's my experience at least.

(in reply to tonyscrase)
Post #: 4
RE: Rail capacity - 6/18/2019 3:30:34 PM   
tonyscrase

Hi Searry
Thanks for the reply. This is far more basic
If you look carefully as the the computer goes through the logistics calculations phase you may glimpse your railways and lot of them are red. When you start your turn your railways are mainly green
this I think is because at ther very end of the logistics it divides the amount of railway usage by 6 which is your starting point for your turn
So you never (apart from a quick glimpse) see the affect of moving freight and which railways are congested

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 5
RE: Rail capacity - 6/19/2019 3:40:44 AM   
EddyBear81

I second Tony's question : it's very difficult to understand the dynamics of logistics, and especially rail transport.

In the manual it says that you should sometimes avoid moving units by rail to keep some capacity for logistics, but I never understood how to identify the real bottlenecks.

(in reply to tonyscrase)
Post #: 6
RE: Rail capacity - 6/19/2019 4:45:16 PM   
Joel Billings

You can look at the usage values by rolling over the hexes. If the value is 5000, it means you've maxed the line out during logistics (those will show up in yellow when you have the show logistics, n key). Moving a unit on that line is likely going to cost in terms of less freight shipments forward in the next turn. If the usage is less than 5000 but over several thousand, then you may be having some issues, and moving units over the line will just make them worse.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to EddyBear81)
Post #: 7
RE: Rail capacity - 6/19/2019 7:29:38 PM   
tonyscrase

Thanks Joel a simple and easy solution

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Rail capacity Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI