Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

small scenario for beginner

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> small scenario for beginner Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
small scenario for beginner - 6/17/2019 11:36:58 PM   
mu34tant

can someone recommend a small scenario to begin learning the game?
thanx
Post #: 1
RE: small scenario for beginner - 6/17/2019 11:41:47 PM   
larryfulkerson

There's a series of smaller scenarios in the "Road to Moscow" series that is a collection of scenarios that cover the early war period of the drive on Moscow by the Germans in June of 1941. You might find them illuminating as well as fun to play. By all means pick one of the smaller scenarios, one with a low number of turns and a low number of units for both sides. There's plenty of them. Sort your scenaros by size and usually the smaller ones are the shorter ones.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/17/2019 11:42:01 PM >

if the human race ever does get to be space fairing and be able to visit other worlds, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

(in reply to mu34tant)
Post #: 2
RE: small scenario for beginner - 6/17/2019 11:42:04 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: mu34tant

thanx

Here's a list of scenarios by scenario complexity:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4538346

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to mu34tant)
Post #: 3
RE: small scenario for beginner - 6/18/2019 12:54:31 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: mu34tant

thanx

By “small scenario” I’m guessing you mean a short scenario (20-40 turns) with a relatively small number of units. If so, here are a few that have a good computer AI opponent that offers an interesting game:

Balkans 12
La Grande Armee 1805
Marne 1914
Nomonhan 39

These are just a few I enjoy playing, there are many others. Suggest you look thru the stock TOAW scenario list for more candidates. Even more can be found in Larry’s “Recent Scenario Submission” list.

Also suggest you be cautious using the scenario “complexity list” mentioned above. While it is a calculation sanctioned by the TOAW team, it is really nothing more than three unrelated numbers multiplied together yielding a complexity value. It tells you nothing about whether the scenario meets your, or any one else’s, scenario criteria.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to mu34tant)
Post #: 4
RE: small scenario for beginner - 6/18/2019 3:14:45 AM   
sPzAbt653

Remagen, for Beginners:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4382115

(in reply to mu34tant)
Post #: 5
RE: small scenario for beginner - 6/18/2019 4:22:43 AM   
tdavie

I only picked up the game 12 days or so ago. Started with the Korea scenario. Oops, DPRK overran all of South Korea very quickly. Bit Ilearnt the mechanics of the game. Sort of. The, looking for a smallish scenario I settled on Kasserine, playing as the Germans. Restarted once, played through to completion and won. Played again as the Allies and lost. Started a downloaded scenario called 'The Russian Campaign' based on the old Avalon Hill game. That one is fairly large but since I played the boardgame years ago it wasn't too hard.

Now I'm toying with what to try next. Indecision led me to buting War in the East/West plus expansions.

But yeah, I would start with Kasserine. Not too many units and only 12 turns long. Lots of swirling movement which forced me to pay attention to/learn battlefield time stamps.

Tom

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> small scenario for beginner Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI