Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Comparison with WiF 4/5 ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Comparison with WiF 4/5 ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Comparison with WiF 4/5 ? - 6/16/2019 7:46:28 PM   
MarshalNay

I'm considering purchasing this game. I've played WiF 4 the board game many years ago. Looking at the screenshots, units, AARs etc. available on this forum, it looks like a substantially different game. Is there a summary of the differences between the board and computer versions anywhere?

Also, I'm wondering if the computer version preserves realistic strategic options, like Sealion, deferring Axis attack on the Russians, Axis going strong in N. Africa and the Med, the Rommel scenario of marching to Iraq, etc.

Post #: 1
RE: Comparison with WiF 4/5 ? - 6/16/2019 11:42:49 PM   
Courtenay

MWiF is based on WiF RAW 7. The differences between MWiF and RAW 7 can be written down on less than a page. The one big difference is that whole map is done at the European scale.

Other differences between MWiF and RAW 7 are that entry chits now have an infinite supply, as do partisans, and partisans are rolled for independently. Also CVPs on land may only fly transfer missions. (This last is a change that most players have retrofitted to RAW 7.) There are a bunch of small differences, most caused by the change in map scale, and a few caused by going to a computer rather than over-the-board.

The differences you are seeing between MWiF and what you remember are the differences between RAW 7 and RAW 4.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to MarshalNay)
Post #: 2
RE: Comparison with WiF 4/5 ? - 6/17/2019 4:45:59 AM   
brian brian

4th Edition WiF was quite different from what became 'Final' edition and Rules version 7, which led to MWiF.

4th Edition I think saw the first beginnings of named ship counters, for example, but BBs were still 2 / counter. Right around the time 4th edition transitioned to 5th is when the first "expansion" kit appeared - Planes in Flames. Also, 4th Edition only had a very small set of division counters, and not for every Major Power.

The strategic options for the players have always been the same in all editions of World in Flames. Japan can explore a land war in north Asia. Russia can attack the Middle East. Germany can ignore the Mediterranean and make an even more fierce Barbarossa attack (a dangerous strategy for the Allies to deal with). Or, Germany can seal the Mediterranean before turning to attack the Russians a year later. MWiF preserves all of that strategic flexibility.

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 3
RE: Comparison with WiF 4/5 ? - 6/18/2019 6:06:30 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarshalNay

I'm considering purchasing this game. I've played WiF 4 the board game many years ago. Looking at the screenshots, units, AARs etc. available on this forum, it looks like a substantially different game. Is there a summary of the differences between the board and computer versions anywhere?

Also, I'm wondering if the computer version preserves realistic strategic options, like Sealion, deferring Axis attack on the Russians, Axis going strong in N. Africa and the Med, the Rommel scenario of marching to Iraq, etc.
warspite1

I got into WIF in the mid 1990's and purchased the 5th Edition. I got it for Christmas during the summer and so had a long wait to actually play the game. While waiting Planes in Flames came out and shortly after, Ships in Flames appeared! So I've always played with PiF and played very little without SiF. The differences for me are therefore probably less than they would have been playing vanilla 5th Edition.

I seem to recall that HQ were 1-factor units so HQ could stack with two land units. I also seem to recall CONV counters were simply placed on map rather than treated as ships with a range. I think there was a rule where in the first impulse only, the non-phasing player could intercept moving naval units. I can't think of too much else that was different but then we are talking almost 25-years ago.

What I do recall when playing MWIF for the first time was that the feel of the game remained very much the same. Yes individual rules may have changed or been tweeked, but WIF is still WIF.

Therefore if you enjoyed 4th Edition, I wouldn't have any fears that you won't enjoy MWIF.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to MarshalNay)
Post #: 4
RE: Comparison with WiF 4/5 ? - 6/19/2019 3:38:19 PM   
MarshalNay

Thanks gang for all the helpful feedback. I think all of the speculations about how WiF 4 (= WAR 4?) are correct: DIVs only for a few Majors (US CW Japan maybe Russia), CONVs are abstract, etc.).

What caused me concern was seeing naval units depicted as individual ships, plane types in AC units, and the (optional) AT/artillery units, which made me think the game had gone more tactical, requiring still more micromanagement.

I think I'll treat myself to MWiF as soon as I get enough free time to play... watch for me in Opponents Wanted.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Comparison with WiF 4/5 ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI