Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/7/2019 10:29:04 PM   
MrsWargamer

I most assuredly, prefer a board game wargame over anything digital.

I don't always get what I want. Actually, I rarely get what I want :)

I've clung on to the idea "I'll play them, eventually."
Lies suck, especially when they are lies we tell ourselves :)

I've got some great board game wargames. What I don't have is the space. If life is good to me, heck I'm going to have even less space. Ideally, I dream of a tiny home (the mobile ones). That does NOT spell large amounts of space hehe.

I think I'm going to have to do the ole rip off the bandaid thing here, quickly, and get it over with.
Get rid of the board games.

Let's face it, I bought 4 wargames today on the D-Day sale, and not one of them needs shelf space :)
And they play as nice as a board game, minus the large table eating map, and counters that take effort to set up.

Treated myself to ...
Battle of the Bulge
Drive on Moscow War in the Snow
Kursk – Battle at Prochorovka
Three nice little titles all costing me like 25 bucks because of the sale.
Grabbed TOAW IV because well, I wanted it.
Downloaded the Order of Battle base file, might treat myself to one of the DLC items or 2.

The fact is, computer wargames are 'convenient'. It's NOT the same as a board game. I'm also a book snob. I I prefer hardcovers. I don't read my books on a doodad. But in the case of wargames, well, it's a fight I have been waging, totally unsuccessfully.

The shelf space being eaten by my board game collection is being coveted by my models lately :)

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Post #: 1
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/7/2019 11:18:09 PM   
demyansk

I bought a bunch of boardgames and never play them, cats destroy things and I never read the rules, oh well

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 2
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/7/2019 11:34:27 PM   
Zovs

I sold off my board game collection in 2014 for $4,000, it was sad but it had to go all 350+, a lot of unpunched, collectors items, AH, SPI, GDW/GRD, DG, GMT, MMP, The Gamers, TSR, VPG, XRT/Command and all the mags with games and those without, but I kept my ASL collection. I only play digital war games now.

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario creator

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 3
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/7/2019 11:38:45 PM   
CGGrognard

Digital wargames are the way to go if you have small kids or pesky pets. No chewed pieces!

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 4
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/8/2019 12:39:06 AM   
demyansk

Wow Zovos, that's a lot of games. I did the same with my record collection. I was sad to see Electric Ladyland go, Are You Experienced, Axis Bold As Love and my 30 other Jimi Records plus my Black Sabbath. However, they were just taking up space, now just listen to Pandora.

(in reply to CGGrognard)
Post #: 5
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/8/2019 1:02:07 AM   
sanch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

I sold off my board game collection in 2014 for $4,000, it was sad but it had to go all 350+, a lot of unpunched, collectors items, AH, SPI, GDW/GRD, DG, GMT, MMP, The Gamers, TSR, VPG, XRT/Command and all the mags with games and those without, but I kept my ASL collection. I only play digital war games now.

I sold all mine in 2015, 30 or so games. I only kept a couple, including DAK unpunched. Last I looked, it was going for $350 on ebay.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 6
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/8/2019 1:15:04 AM   
Zovs

Yeah I got $400 for unpunched DAK and $400 for unpunched GDWs DNO/UNT, $300 for punched SPIs WIE and $500 for GDWs FitE/SE, The Urals, Torch, WD, MM, CW and TEMs #20-70 iirc.

WarPlan Beta Tester

(in reply to sanch)
Post #: 7
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/9/2019 6:56:28 PM   
larrybush

Just play digital nowadays. Still pretty slim pickings IMO.

A game store clerk in San Luis Obispo told me he saw some wargames in the Santa Maria Goodwill store. I scored an unpunched copy of War in Europe and a bunch of other SPI WW2 titles.

Eventually sold them at a Game convention at LAX in the late 1990's.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 8
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/10/2019 4:41:31 AM   
Michael T

Sadly, after fighting it for many years now I have come to the same conclusion. Just in the last few weeks I have given up on board games, even though I still think most are far superior to their PC equivalents. The lack of local Face to Face opponents and the tediousness of vassal has finally driven me totally into the digital camp. I have hung on to a few sentimental favourites I can't let go of, admiring them in my bookcase, they seem forever to remain there unless my son takes up the hobby up in the coming years or some fortuitous meeting with a like minded local.

I really wish there were more board games faithfully ported to digital format. Like Advanced Third Reich/AWAW or ASL. Tigers on the Hunt is close to ASL but it has no PBEM or internet play V a human opponent.

Panzer Campaigns remains my favourite PC wargaming series. Looking forward to trying out Steel Tigers and WITE 2.0 when they eventually come along. Warplan has also captured my attention.

(in reply to larrybush)
Post #: 9
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/10/2019 8:19:41 AM   
Zovs

Well there is CWIE2, which faithfully recreates SPI and DG WIE.

ASL is alive and kicking with online play with VASL. It’s just way too complex of a game to “digitaliz”.

WarPlan Beta Tester

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 10
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/10/2019 8:28:07 AM   
Rising-Sun

I got War in the Pacific 2nd few years back for 175 off from ebay. It was in good shape and not punched either, cant imagine someone paying over 400 for that game from the market.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 11
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/10/2019 10:46:32 AM   
berto

Before flying off to serve as a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer in the Philippines in early 1978, I sold my ~80 game SPI board war game collection to some young guy for ~$100. Dumb move! (For me. For him it was the bargain of a lifetime.)

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 12
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/10/2019 4:00:55 PM   
MrsWargamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael T

Sadly, after fighting it for many years now I have come to the same conclusion. Just in the last few weeks I have given up on board games, even though I still think most are far superior to their PC equivalents. The lack of local Face to Face opponents and the tediousness of vassal has finally driven me totally into the digital camp. I have hung on to a few sentimental favourites I can't let go of, admiring them in my bookcase, they seem forever to remain there unless my son takes up the hobby up in the coming years or some fortuitous meeting with a like minded local.

I really wish there were more board games faithfully ported to digital format. Like Advanced Third Reich/AWAW or ASL. Tigers on the Hunt is close to ASL but it has no PBEM or internet play V a human opponent.

Panzer Campaigns remains my favourite PC wargaming series. Looking forward to trying out Steel Tigers and WITE 2.0 when they eventually come along. Warplan has also captured my attention.

Strategic Command has an A3R mod, I tried it the other day. Hmm, I was expecting it to at least LOOK like A3R, but, while I am sure there is something happening under the graphics, it looks like I was still playing SC3. I was kinda disappointed.

I have Tigers on the Hunt. It's likely sooooo close to ASL, but, the interface is not immediately approachable (not that the ASL manual ever was hehe). I'm pondering giving a stab at Marc Walker's attempt in the future (cash thing). His computer game option does 'look' a lot like ASL, well the overall experience that is.

I have many Panzer Campaigns. I should probably try harder to digest the interface.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 13
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/10/2019 5:10:04 PM   
wodin

I too get hardback versions only. However I'm now picky about what I buy in hardback. If it's fiction I go for Kindle version and also been getting into audible alot these days. A great narrator plus great story In finding far more enjoyable than reading it myself.

Post #: 14
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/10/2019 5:20:56 PM   
rico21

Less Drama

Post #: 15
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/10/2019 5:55:25 PM   
z1812

I gave up board games in 2000. It was too difficult and time consuming finding opponents. I switched from printed books to digital with kindle and a tablet quite a while ago. When our libraries started to offer digital borrowing I started using that instead of kindle. Occasionally I will read a printed book. It is sometimes a nice change to digital.

As I wrote the above I had a funny thought. Fast Forward 50 years.

I gave up fellow humans in 2059. It was too difficult and time consuming finding human friends and romantic partners. I switched from Humans to Cyborgs bought from Amazon quite a while ago. When our libraries started to offer Cyborg borrowing I switched to that. Occasionally I meet with humans. It is sometimes a nice change to Cyborgs.

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 16
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/10/2019 6:18:05 PM   
ncc1701e

I still buy some but for my retirement. I do not have time right now. My last acqusition is Unconditional Surrender! I did not even start to read the rulebook.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 17
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/10/2019 7:35:43 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: z1812

I gave up board games in 2000. It was too difficult and time consuming finding opponents. I switched from printed books to digital with kindle and a tablet quite a while ago. When our libraries started to offer digital borrowing I started using that instead of kindle. Occasionally I will read a printed book. It is sometimes a nice change to digital.

As I wrote the above I had a funny thought. Fast Forward 50 years.

I gave up fellow humans in 2059. It was too difficult and time consuming finding human friends and romantic partners. I switched from Humans to Cyborgs bought from Amazon quite a while ago. When our libraries started to offer Cyborg borrowing I switched to that. Occasionally I meet with humans. It is sometimes a nice change to Cyborgs.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 18
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/11/2019 4:15:12 AM   
tdavie

I moved to my new house back in 2011. I had multiple copies of SL/COI/ASL, Avalon Hill, SPI, Yacquinto titles, etc and I just threw them out. All the people I used to play boardgames with are either dead or in another part of Canada. Plus, cats were on the horizon. Basically the days of setting up 1 game (says Streets of Stalingrad) on a ping pong table and playing it for months at a time are in the past.

I still have the desire to play mind numbingly large games but pushing counters with my mouse is just plain more enjoyable to me. Playing a game like TOAW is exactly what I wanted 40 years ago. It just took a while to make it real. And if I want something closer to a small scale Squad Leader game, I'll go for Tigers in the Hunt/Panzer Battles.

The good thing about getting older is being able to afford more toys. Invading Russia or playing Waterloo on a big TV is infinitely satisfying.

Tom

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 19
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/12/2019 4:35:45 PM   
MrsWargamer

Grrrrrr thanks life, you @#&*%$* swine.

So I discover a great way to play scores of Android games on my PC. Life is good. I have a few new nice lightweight PC wargames.

The the computer dies. Refurb. I just should have known better I guess.

Glad I have a laptop. Glad I know how to fiddle with computers. Not glad I need to at the moment though.

I think I'll be a little cautious about the fate of my board games. Yeah, I AM getting a new system one way or another. But, it's gauling all the same.

(in reply to tdavie)
Post #: 20
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/13/2019 4:08:54 PM   
larrybush

After my board wargame collection was flooded during Fay, I played digital. Just last month I bought my first board wargame since 2006 - GMT Next War - Taiwan. After reading the standard rules, the advanced rules then the exclusive rules, whew! I think I'll stick to digital...Ha!

Post #: 21
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/13/2019 7:33:42 PM   
Pvt_Grunt

I've still got AH Blitzkrieg in the back of the closet somewhere. My first boardgame played. It has survived at least 7 house moves. I keep it for nostalgia purposes.......

One day I'll get it out and have a play

(in reply to larrybush)
Post #: 22
RE: Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) - 6/13/2019 7:54:42 PM   
asl3d

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael T

Do you know Heroes of Stalingrad?

I am a fan of SL/ASL and, although it is not exactly the same game, I think it has many aspects that remind me of the good times that I have enjoyed ASL.

Semper fidelis

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Sometimes you just gotta let it go (board games) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI