Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Resources for IADS and naval AAW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Resources for IADS and naval AAW Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Resources for IADS and naval AAW - 6/7/2019 9:35:39 PM   
Naz

Hello, CMANO community,

Can anybody advise on technical resources for the operation and tactics of IADS and naval AAW, and how aviation and other ground equipment interacts?

I've had difficulty finding information post the early Vietnam war. Piecemeal at best.

For information only: a good book on WW2 EW and AAW is "Instruments Of Darkness: The History Of Electronic Warfare" by Alfred Price

Any advice appreciated, thank you all.
Post #: 1
RE: Resources for IADS and naval AAW - 6/9/2019 11:48:39 PM   
SeaQueen

Truth be told, in the abstract, not a lot has changed since the Vietnam war. The Vietnam war, and the Linebacker Campaign in particular, is interesting in part because it was where many of the tactics which have persisted to this day were created (e.g. strike packages, gorilla strikes, precision guided weapons, ever larger numbers of support aircraft, and the defenses against them).

The best book I've found that talks about IADS, is a book called Strike Warfare in the 21st Century by Dale E. Knutsen. I like how he talks about how air defenses are layered up (something a lot of scenario builders could stand to learn). He's a China Lake guy, so the book is targeted at new engineers who know nothing about air warfare looking at building advanced munitions.

(in reply to Naz)
Post #: 2
RE: Resources for IADS and naval AAW - 6/10/2019 3:20:11 AM   
ExNusquam

Obvious starting point for US stuff is Joint Pub 3-01 Countering Air and Missile Threats. There's some discussion of Naval IADS in Naval Operations Analysis by Wagner, et. al. For a more conventional description of a post-Vietnam IADS, the Gulf War Air Power Survey, Volume 4 has a summary of Iraqi air defenses, although it is somewhat redacted.

(in reply to SeaQueen)
Post #: 3
RE: Resources for IADS and naval AAW - 6/12/2019 8:16:46 AM   
Naz

Thank you very much, SeaQueen and ExNusquam.
I particularly liked the Gulf War Air Power Survey's claim that the Coalition lost no aircraft in air to air engagements.

Looking forward to tracking down Strike Warfare and Naval Operations Analysis.

(in reply to ExNusquam)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Resources for IADS and naval AAW Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI