Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RWR in FCRS

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> RWR in FCRS Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RWR in FCRS - 6/6/2019 2:31:46 AM   
KungPao

I do feel the game simulate RWR (Radar Warning Receiver) incorrectly. The game confused RWR with ELINT

I think in the 60's and 70's most of the RWR device only generate a warning when FCR (fire control radar) locks you. In the 80's new generation RWR gives the A/C (Aircraft) the ability to detect Air searching radar, but it only tells a direction of the source at certain amount of deviation. To pin down accurate location of a radar source, you need dedicate ELINT aircraft. It may need at least 3 ELINT A/C running a triangulation. You need resource and time to pin down the position.

With help of computer, modern day RWR can quickly recognize a particular radar emitter from hundreds of different signal. Tracking it. With relatively position change it can do the calculation and find out the location.

I don't think it is possible, a Mi-24 with some basic avionics device can pin down a mobile SAM Radar 10km away instantly.
It is a Mi-24, not a EP-3P or a F-35.

After this screenshot I called two arty mission on that radar source. My opponents lost two Rapier SAM. I am going to dominate the sky. But I do feel the RWR is not correctly modeled.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by KungPao -- 6/6/2019 2:33:21 AM >

Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?
Post #: 1
RE: RWR in FCRS - 6/6/2019 2:43:10 AM   
IronMikeGolf

Hi. This honestly could be documented better.

RWRs in Red Storm are defensive systems, not target acquisition systems. So, the RWR figures in to probability of being hit and surprise.

The ELINT cuts on radars, and HQ radios for that matter, are game abstractions. The radars are always "on" and there's an occasional chance you get a cut on the emitter. For HQ, it is dependent on the number of orders issued by the HQ. Nothing on map does this detection, classification, and localization. It's all highly abstracted and simplified.

So, in your example above, it's not the MI-24s that glean the firing data. It is the (abstracted) elements of the Division EW company. You could have just leg infantry on the map and get cuts.

Jeff
Sua Sponte

(in reply to KungPao)
Post #: 2
RE: RWR in FCRS - 6/6/2019 3:23:50 PM   
KungPao

Hi Jeff
Thanks for the explanation but I don't get it. First I don't have any question or issue with HQ radio emitter contact. Second I have strong impression that a continuous radar emitter contact is related to helicopter.
Based on you explanation the EW company on the ground can catch radar signal occasionally. But I don't see that happens in the scenario with ground force only. In other scenario with air force, the inbound A/C will capture the emitter and paint it's accurate location on the map. But as soon as they left the map, the contact will be lost.
With Helicopter, you can get a continuous radar emitter contact as soon as it is in certain range. It will not disappear unless there is a hill block it. My observation is AH can pick up the radar contact at 10km, a recon Helo can do it at 15km.

Thx

Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?

(in reply to IronMikeGolf)
Post #: 3
RE: RWR in FCRS - 6/6/2019 3:56:17 PM   
CapnDarwin

I need to check the code to be sure, but I think there has to be a unit with a RWR on it to trip the radar cut detection chance. A side effect of removing the spamming "radar detected" message from an earlier update. The good news is we are reworking the whole EW/elint model. The equipment is also getting updated I to a number of versions to cover the ability of RWRs to detect, classify and locate as systems get better over time.

Work on Southern Storm continues and we will hopefully have news about our new website and even whispers of Beta Testing soon! (once we squish some mean bugs)

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to KungPao)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> RWR in FCRS Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI