Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Twitch Pros and Cons

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat – The Bloody First >> Twitch Pros and Cons Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Twitch Pros and Cons - 6/4/2019 7:04:34 PM   
z1812

Maps:
Pro: I like the overall Style.
Con: Not enough contrast between map elements. They seem to meld into one another which is confusing. The soldier sprites do not stand out enough. Nor does anything else. It Looks a bit jumbled. Not enough sharpness either.

The desert map was too washed out. The French map was too green. My suggestion would be to vary the tone of colour in similar objects. Greens for instance. Make sure the grass, Trees, and shrubs etc each have a distinctive green so they stand out.

Soldier Sprites:
Pro: Overall style is fine.
Con: Again too washed out. Not visible enough. Give them stronger colours and the option of a definitive outline so they can be seen.

Gameplay:
Pro: At least it was something.
Con: I would have preferred more game play with pauses, allowing for comments on changes and improvements to the system.

As an aside: It is remarkable that with all the various close combat incarnations that there was no inclusion of a turn based option. This would allow for PBEM style play and tournaments ala Field of Glory 2 style.

It is baffling to me that you would take the time to remake the game with a new engine, not considering the time it has taken, and can show so little in the way of new features and improvements.

Too bad Richard Bodley Scott does not appear too be interested in World War 2.
Post #: 1
RE: Twitch Pros and Cons - 6/4/2019 11:38:42 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

+ the map look is going to depend heavily on your monitor setup, but we have gone for a more realistic palette. That said, it will be very simple for modders to alter the postprocessing colour balance.
+ you can tweak the unit outlines as desired including fully opaque.

Turn based? CC is a realtime game, I cannot even think how we could make a turn based option for the game. BA or Steel Panthers are the TBS equivalent really.

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 2
RE: Twitch Pros and Cons - 6/5/2019 2:20:24 AM   
z1812

quote:

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

+ the map look is going to depend heavily on your monitor setup, but we have gone for a more realistic palette. That said, it will be very simple for modders to alter the postprocessing colour balance.
+ you can tweak the unit outlines as desired including fully opaque.

Turn based? CC is a realtime game, I cannot even think how we could make a turn based option for the game. BA or Steel Panthers are the TBS equivalent really.

Cheers

Pip

Thanks for your reply. What type of graphics file will be used for the maps and units? Will modding tools be included?

I really don't see Steel Panthers or Battle Academy as tactical squad level combat.

I own most of the Close Combat Games. I started playing on the old Microsoft Game zone ages ago with A Bridge to Far. The game has been around a long time. One would think after such a long time more would have been done to develop and evolve the system.

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 3
RE: Twitch Pros and Cons - 6/5/2019 10:27:56 AM   
wodin

I remember Combat Leader and Close Assault (?) CC like games that where advertised when I first came across Matrix Games. CL was East front turn based. CA was to be set in the Pacific and was real time. Things like radio comms and all sorts of features where going to be in it.

Sadly neither saw the light of day.

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 4
RE: Twitch Pros and Cons - 6/5/2019 2:46:15 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

All the visuals are easily moddable as per most of our games. The game model is not quite as easy to alter given the realtime nature, but all the assets are available to be tweaked.

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 5
RE: Twitch Pros and Cons - 6/6/2019 10:34:19 AM   
LeeChard

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the launch!

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 6
RE: Twitch Pros and Cons - 6/30/2019 7:17:35 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I remember Combat Leader and Close Assault (?) CC like games that where advertised when I first came across Matrix Games. CL was East front turn based. CA was to be set in the Pacific and was real time. Things like radio comms and all sorts of features where going to be in it.

Sadly neither saw the light of day.

I remember them too. Didn't Close Assault include a unit editor?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by CSO_Talorgan -- 6/30/2019 7:18:11 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 7
RE: Twitch Pros and Cons - 6/30/2019 7:19:37 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

Maybe it was Combat Leader

Attachment (1)

(in reply to CSO_Talorgan)
Post #: 8
RE: Twitch Pros and Cons - 6/30/2019 7:59:25 PM   
benpark

It's time to dust those off.

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to CSO_Talorgan)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat – The Bloody First >> Twitch Pros and Cons Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI