Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Japanese Invasion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Japanese Invasion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Japanese Invasion - 6/1/2019 3:42:38 PM   
IBender

Assuming Global game all options turned on. As Japanese player opening move.

I am trying to figure out a way to conduct marine invasion of Dutch East Indies / Batavia area for the oil fields in the opening move. Japanese marines start in Japan. I always move them to china, then next move them into high box in south china sea for invasion. That works just fine but I am wondering if anyone has a better/ faster way to make this invasion happen?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Japanese Invasion - 6/1/2019 6:25:56 PM   
paulderynck

That means DoW on Netherlands on the opening move. Awfully deadly for US entry - an extra chit each turn. Personally I would not do that as you get two oil a turn anyway until the Embargo.

But if I wanted to do it, I'd TRS them to Canton and then move a TRS and an Amph out from Canton and embark them, and that's the best you can do (plus one Div if playing SCS transport) because you only have 3 TRS and one Amph to work with.

Paul

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 2
RE: Japanese Invasion - 6/1/2019 9:43:31 PM   
IBender

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 3
RE: Japanese Invasion - 6/2/2019 12:00:50 AM   
Courtenay

I remember reading once of an early DOW on the Netherlands by the Japanese, who somehow took some Netherlands territory in the Caribbean (through a neutral Panama canal), built up some forces there, and then proceeded to invade the US from there.

Barring some crazy plan like this, an early invasion of the Netherlands is insane. (Not that what I just described isn't.) It immediately puts 2.8 chits in the Japanese pool, plus a chit a turn. The US would put its normal chit in the German pool. The US would get five extra '39 chits (which are good) and six extra '40 chits (which aren't) by the end of 1940. This might be enough to allow the US to pass War appropriations at the end of '40; if not, they will early in 1941. And for what gain?

P.S. Do not turn all options on. Some of the options are actively bad (Construction Engineers!). Others (Surprised Zones of Control) are unbalancing. And there is an unfortunate synergy in the way Limited Overseas Supply and Limited supply across straits are coded that means using both of these rules together produces some ridiculous problems for getting oil to Axis forces in Sicily.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 4
RE: Japanese Invasion - 6/2/2019 3:19:51 AM   
IBender

quote:

ted supply across straits are coded that means using both of these rules to

Thanks for the tips. I will consider your thoughts regarding all the options. One obvious question is..."if some options are bad, why do they exit?" Also if they are unbalanced / bad do the makers of the game feel the same? Its a curious thing to me regarding this topic.

I will explore more on a side note, the effects on usa regarding early invasion of NEI by japan thanks you guys for mentioning that as I didnt think of it.

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 5
RE: Japanese Invasion - 6/2/2019 8:45:15 AM   
Centuur

Well, one can always try and see what will happen. One learns this game best by trying crazy things...

I think that in one of my solitair games, I probably will DoW Japan with the CW, France and the USSR early 1940, to kill as many Japanese convoys as possible during the surprise impulse. A side effect is that there is no more oil going from NEI to Japan. Sure, this means that the US can't DoW Japan anymore, but if option 50 has been chosen later in the game, the US carriers can still attack the Japanese ships at will and they can carry CW units into invasion positions...

< Message edited by Centuur -- 6/2/2019 8:46:00 AM >

Peter

(in reply to IBender)
Post #: 6
RE: Japanese Invasion - 6/2/2019 1:28:06 PM   
Courtenay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Well, one can always try and see what will happen. One learns this game best by trying crazy things...

I think that in one of my solitair games, I probably will DoW Japan with the CW, France and the USSR early 1940, to kill as many Japanese convoys as possible during the surprise impulse. A side effect is that there is no more oil going from NEI to Japan. Sure, this means that the US can't DoW Japan anymore, but if option 50 has been chosen later in the game, the US carriers can still attack the Japanese ships at will and they can carry CW units into invasion positions...

I remember reading in a WiF annual about some game at a WiFcon where everyone declared war on Japan early. The rules were different back then, with incredible restrictions on what Japan could do so long as the convoy chain was broken, and Japan got conquered fast. I think they changed that rule very soon thereafter.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 7
RE: Japanese Invasion - 6/2/2019 1:47:54 PM   
brian brian

I had a front row seat (adjacent table) to the WiFCon game where the Axis used the two 1940 Zeroes in Japan’s force pool to fly top cover in the North Sea for an Operation Sea Lion attack. The IJN is that powerful at the start of the game. The UK eventually surrendered so the remains of the Royal Navy could safely re-locate to Canada.

Note I mentioned the UK surrendering - not the CW. The most powerful force in the game is the USA’s Production Multiple, which was accelerated immensely by the extra early Japanese entry. The Allies ‘Returned’ under a blizzard of USA Offensive Chits, and with Stilwell leading the final assault on Tokyo with Chinese troops, the Allies achieved an Automatic Victory before the time limit. Wake up the Jolly Green Giant at your own peril.

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 8
RE: Japanese Invasion - 6/2/2019 5:44:03 PM   
paulderynck

deleted

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 6/2/2019 6:10:14 PM >

Paul

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 9
RE: Japanese Invasion - 6/2/2019 5:53:08 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

It was changed in CE. The US entry effects of such were more heavily penalized. I see no up-side to doing this in CE, and it ought not be allowed in RAW7 games unless all players are expert level players.

I guess it would be interesting to try solitaire in MWiF, just to see if the code fully supports it.

Paul

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Japanese Invasion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI