Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bought 3 New Games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Bought 3 New Games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bought 3 New Games - 5/20/2019 9:47:16 PM   
demyansk

I now have Revolution Under Siege, Civil War 2, and Pike and Shot. Going to try to learn the aegod system. Wish me luck!!!!

Any suggestions??
Post #: 1
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/20/2019 10:07:08 PM   
TulliusDetritus

re AGEOD, the games look cartoonish but make no mistake, truly deep and sharp operational games (one of the best along the Grigsby's games). Suggestion? Try vanilla, anf if you like, then you might want to try this wonderful Civil War II mod: CWDBMod.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=340&t=43543

If you never played before, then it's all about intercepting enemy movements. What the enemy will do... or not do. It's not complicated.

Good luck and may you like them as I do.

Reading AARs is always a good idea. Youtube videos are not the best platform to explain the game.

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 5/20/2019 10:10:14 PM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 2
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/20/2019 10:11:47 PM   
demyansk

Thanks for the assistance, I'll have to play soon

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 3
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/20/2019 10:26:30 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I had written an AAR, which I had played vs my Wehrmacht opponent (aka Marquo) in WitE. Didn't know it was still around.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3490925&mpage=1&key=

Take with a pinch of salt.

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 5/20/2019 10:33:49 PM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 4
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/20/2019 11:05:36 PM   
budd

Pike and Shot is excellent. There is so much extra content you can get from the in game down loader you'll be down loading for hours if you want it all.

Also i'd go over to the Slitherine Pike and Shot forum and there some quality of life mods to down load over there. I especially like the period music mod.

here's the link... http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=322

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 5
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/21/2019 12:14:10 AM   
Yogi the Great

Let's face it, we like what we like.

While I personally may not like the AGEOD system, I understand that many do like it. So buy if you like and avoid if you don't. My opinion is that Pike and Shot and Field of Glory II are excellent, I don't condemn those who don't think so. I think that Brother against Brother is the best Civil War Game system that is available but many disagree.

To each their own!

When I see a game that looks interesting I'll try at least one using the engine, but may never buy one like it again. However for those that like it please keep buying and avoid the ones you don't like. My list of best games may not match yours, but I would not pretend to tell you what you should like. As an old commercial about cereal once said, "try it you'll like it." That's the only way you personally can decide what games you should buy, not games I should buy.

< Message edited by Yogi the Great -- 5/21/2019 12:18:30 AM >

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 6
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/21/2019 2:05:34 AM   
balto

Throw all three out. Pike and Shot is good, but Field of Glory 2 is a better version. If you feel the need to figure out Ageod (which you never will because it sucks), wait for Field of Glory: Empires.., now that is going to be money!!! It is a hybrid of Ageod and could be super awesome.

< Message edited by balto -- 5/21/2019 2:09:34 AM >

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 7
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/21/2019 2:11:58 AM   
balto

PS - Are you aware that you can import your tactical battles in Field of Glory:Empires into Field of Glory 2. Another big reason to take a zero on Pike and Shot and focus on FOG 2.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 8
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/21/2019 3:29:31 AM   
KurtC

If you go into the old Ageod system with an open mind and truly try and understand what is going on.... well... honestly you might be disappointed. But, you can if you try get to a point where you can enjoy playing it.

The only problem I have with Ageod is it does not like alt-tabbing out of the game. That causes CTDs for me more than anything I have ever played.

Edit: Obviously a reply to the OP and not Balto.

Edit 2: Of all the old Ageod engine games, I would put RUS/RUSGold as one of the harder to get in to because the topic matter is really hard to get your mind around. So many different factions and so much to figure out while you're planning. It's hard to understand your goals and how to get there.

CW2 is a lot easier, because you have determined lines where on one side the North is the Union and the Southern side is the Confederacy. It's easier to understand what is going on and where you are winning and losing.

I'd say To End All Wars is similar to understand. The lines are set, now you have to defend or attack them.

< Message edited by KurtC -- 5/21/2019 3:34:40 AM >

My known forum name is H Gilmer

He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
"There are no modern Nazis. The real Nazis in Hell laugh at the notion." - Gilmer, descendant of Poles.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 9
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/21/2019 5:29:38 AM   
CaptBeefheart

CW2 is great for me since I know a lot about the conflict and can benchmark how well I am doing vs. history. Although I'm comfortable with the engine and don't think it's hard to learn, some of the other AGEOD titles are hard to get my head around since I don't know the history as well.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to KurtC)
Post #: 10
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/21/2019 10:05:09 AM   
demyansk

It's all good, no big loss of $

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 11
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/21/2019 5:39:56 PM   
jack54

quote:

ORIGINAL: demyansk

I now have Revolution Under Siege, Civil War 2, and Pike and Shot. Going to try to learn the aegod system. Wish me luck!!!!

Any suggestions??

Good luck and Enjoy....I have all 3 and like them very much. RUS and CW2 are not the easiest Ageod games to learn but it's do-able. Any questions ask away here or at Ageod forum.

Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 12
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/21/2019 5:51:17 PM   
altipueri

I too have all 3.

Civil War 2 is the easiest to get into. Try the Gettysburg and 2nd Manassas short scenarios to start.

Don't neglect the earlier Ageod Civil War, Birth of America, and Napoleon's Campaigns which will cost you about the price of a pizza. And they look tasty too.

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 13
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/21/2019 5:52:56 PM   
zakblood

once you learn how to play and enjoy one Ageod game, you appreciate them all

plus Pike and Shot is epic, so 3 great games imo

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 14
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/21/2019 5:59:13 PM   
loki100

For RuS, you really should have a look at these by Bornego/One Eyed Mexican

They are not for Gold so some important changes but it'll teach you a lot about stack building/army raising which is key to that game (& not easy to grasp):

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/who-put-the-stranded-admiral-in-charge-siberian-white-short-campaign-pbem.571687/

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/once-upon-a-time-the-revolution-a-red-grand-campaign-pbem.582403/

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-swans-head-north-a-southern-white-short-campaign-pbem.578742/#post-13280102

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/death-will-stand-grieving-in-that-field-of-war-a-red-drang-campaign-pbem.591953/#post-13525297

The last one is for the what if campaign of a show down between the new Soviet Republic and a victorious Germany in 1918 - truely brilliant but very very demanding.

They all relied on photoshop so unfortunately some things are now missing.

this might help you, its not for one of the games you've bought but it does explain the basic AGEOD mechanics very well (&, if I may say it myself, its pretty funny too):

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/wars-in-america-a-how-to-aar.545321/

For Civ War II suggest checking the AGEOD forum, its an active area and full of lots of good advice:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewforum.php?f=331

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 15
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/21/2019 7:19:59 PM   
altipueri

I really recommend Loki's AAR link in his post above for seeing what the Wars In America game is like:

Here's the link again:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/wars-in-america-a-how-to-aar.545321/

For those new to Ageod the AAR has some links to other AARs too.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 16
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/21/2019 7:57:29 PM   
Red2112

I have a feeling I know where you got them from

Great deal by the way...
https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/slitherine-pick-and-mix

Red

< Message edited by Red2112 -- 5/21/2019 7:58:04 PM >

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, EVGA GTX 1070ti 8GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB SSD´s, LG 29' Ultrawide 21:9 monitor Logitech G13, G502, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR 5.0, Corsair Void Pro 7.1 USB.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 17
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/21/2019 8:43:57 PM   
altipueri

wow, yes.

Certainly get the others at those prices. AJE, AT, Rise of Prussia, Thirty Years Bore.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 18
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/21/2019 10:17:03 PM   
demyansk

You found it Red, I have a Solitaire board game on the Russian Revolution. Figured I would try the AGeod. They have so many good topics but the interface is one of the worst. I'll try again. I have field of glory 2 as well, but never play. As a matter of fact, I am burned out on all games. Ughhh

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 19
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/22/2019 2:35:11 AM   
KurtC

quote:

You found it Red, I have a Solitaire board game on the Russian Revolution. Figured I would try the AGeod. They have so many good topics but the interface is one of the worst. I'll try again. I have field of glory 2 as well, but never play. As a matter of fact, I am burned out on all games. Ughhh

My favorite of all the Ageod old engine games has to be To End All Wars. I have played it the most and it is very fun to me. Plus I'm fascinated by WW1, a lot because it is never covered as much as WW2 in anything.

"There are no modern Nazis. The real Nazis in Hell laugh at the notion." - Gilmer, descendant of Poles.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 20
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/22/2019 9:41:52 AM   
demyansk

By the way, I am using a 34" monitor and the writing is small, any suggestions on making it larger? Resolution?

(in reply to KurtC)
Post #: 21
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/22/2019 11:28:43 AM   
zakblood

depends on O/S?

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 22
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/23/2019 12:44:19 AM   
KurtC

quote:

By the way, I am using a 34" monitor and the writing is small, any suggestions on making it larger? Resolution?

There is a setting in the settings "Make fonts larger" but that may not be enough. I know some people always had an issue with the font in those games.

I went against the grain and played/play on a 40 inch TV as my monitor and am thinking of going even bigger.

Civ War 2 has a setting under options called "Smaller fonts"? And of course, I said no larger fonts for me. My eyesight is going slightly. I can't see a damn thing up close so need reading glasses. But further away it gets a lot better. I still prefer larger TV screens for my computer desktop.

< Message edited by KurtC -- 5/23/2019 12:47:23 AM >

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 23
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/23/2019 3:56:21 AM   
Rosseau

The huge campaign in Revolution Under Siege is a masterpiece, imo. And believe me, I am not a fan of all their games. But RUS gives you more than your money's worth. I agree with some others, that FoG2 is a lot better than Pike, but still a decent game. Have fun!

(in reply to KurtC)
Post #: 24
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/23/2019 3:27:37 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

Yes. Smaller resolution = larger fonts. If game don't have a setting for it, make change in Windows settings and see if game will make use of it.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 25
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/23/2019 6:46:04 PM   
demyansk

Thanks for the help-gamers

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 26
RE: Bought 3 New Games - 5/25/2019 11:14:02 AM   
demyansk

I played the first tutorial in Civil War 2. I also played Pike and Shot, it's just like Battle Academy. I also have Fog2.

I am going to try to learn this AGeod engine, Finally- until Panzer Korps 2 comes out and then it's Panzer Korps all day!!!!

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Bought 3 New Games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote