Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PBEM++ turn played on a second computer issue with FOW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Tech Support >> PBEM++ turn played on a second computer issue with FOW Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PBEM++ turn played on a second computer issue with FOW - 5/14/2019 7:39:02 PM   
Christolos

Score: 0
According to the change log for version 1.02.00: • PBEM++ games will seamlessly work if you switch from one computer to another between turns.

Well I just tried this from a second computer after my opponent had played his turn, and it did not work seamlessly at all. As it was my turn to play, I chose to run the replay of my opponent's turn (as I always do) and was quite surprise to see that all of my opponents units were being revealed as the replay of his turn was being shown! .
In other words, the fog of war was completely absent! I tried as best as I could to not to look at rear stationed units that were not moving and/or not attacking, and turned away from the screen as much as I could when his moves did not involve my units. The other strange thing is that not all of my units (in my rear) were being displayed either.

My understanding of how this would work seamlessly was because the whole turn would be uploaded to the server without having to copy over the dat files to the second computer. I saved the game without completing my turn and will resume it when I get back on my other computer, to give me time to forget what I saw.

What gives here and how are PBEM++ games supposed to work when switching from one computer to another between turns?

C

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-
Post #: 1
RE: PBEM++ turn played on a second computer issue with FOW - 5/16/2019 1:39:45 AM   
Hubert Cater

Score: 2
Hi Christolos,

Was this a game that perhaps started under v1.00 or v1.01 and then you continued under v1.02, or a game that started under v1.02?

Hubert

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 2
RE: PBEM++ turn played on a second computer issue with FOW - 5/16/2019 12:54:48 PM   
Christolos

Hi Hubert,

This was a game started under 1.02

Thanks,

C

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 3
RE: PBEM++ turn played on a second computer issue with FOW - 5/16/2019 2:50:09 PM   
Hubert Cater

Thanks and I believe I've found the issue for when you switch computers, it will only happen for one side as well which made it a bit tricky to track down.

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 4
RE: PBEM++ turn played on a second computer issue with FOW - 5/16/2019 3:51:50 PM   
Christolos

Thanks Hubert.

You didn't mention it but I'm sure this will be fixed eventually.

I also imagine the same issue would apply to the latest build of SC War in Europe, right?

For now and until it gets fixed, would copying over the dat file from the computer that last played a turn, over to the second computer before playing the next turn, be a workaround?

Best regards,

C

-Aristotle-

Post #: 5
RE: PBEM++ turn played on a second computer issue with FOW - 5/16/2019 11:21:45 PM   
Hubert Cater

Yes, it will be fixed and yes that should do it as well if you copy over the dat file.

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 6
RE: PBEM++ turn played on a second computer issue with FOW - 5/17/2019 6:26:32 PM   
Christolos

Many thanks Hubert!

Cheers,

C

-Aristotle-

Post #: 7
RE: PBEM++ turn played on a second computer issue with FOW - 7/23/2019 7:15:25 PM   
Christolos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

Yes, it will be fixed and yes that should do it as well if you copy over the dat file.

Hi Hubert,

Was this supposed to have been fixed? Some players are still having issues: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4663957

Thanks,

C

-Aristotle-

Post #: 8
RE: PBEM++ turn played on a second computer issue with FOW - 7/24/2019 12:39:50 AM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Christolos,

The issue I was referring to being fixed above was for the FoW issue you were finding when switching computers. The missing DAT file had a few problems and this was fixed for the most part, but with the one exception where you switch computers for the first time and only when you are continuing a game from an earlier version under a new version.

For example, switching computers while playing let's say v1.02 from a game started under v1.02 is fine, however, switching for the first time under v1.03 while still playing a game from v1.02 will cause a problem. At the moment there is no way around this error... unfortunately.

But I'll sort out the issue for the one player.

Hubert

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Tech Support >> PBEM++ turn played on a second computer issue with FOW Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI