Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Artillery in reserve

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Artillery in reserve Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Artillery in reserve - 5/10/2019 9:31:42 PM   
BigDuke66

Afaik artillery in Tactical or Local Reserve will contribute a portion of its bombardment to an attack if in range, but how much is it?
And how much supply is is used in such a case?

Post #: 1
RE: Artillery in reserve - 5/10/2019 10:47:51 PM   
sPzAbt653

50% of Artillery Strength, and 10 Supply per round fired.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 2
RE: Artillery in reserve - 5/11/2019 12:03:16 AM   
Lobster

This is one place where limiting your artillery range can help. Prevents them from burning up all the supplies for places you don't want them to support.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: Artillery in reserve - 5/11/2019 3:11:30 AM   
BigDuke66

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

10 per combat round?
Isn't this the same consumption as adding such a unit to bombard/attack a target?

I just read the manual and on page 86 it's noted:
"All cooperative Air units with Combat Support
orders, Artillery, and Naval units may automatically
add one-half of their Bombardment Strengths to
each Attack within range."

If only 1/2 is added, would this mean artillery on tactical/local reserve add just 25% of their bombardment strength?

< Message edited by BigDuke66 -- 5/11/2019 3:14:39 AM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 4
RE: Artillery in reserve - 5/14/2019 9:03:51 PM   
Icedawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

This is one place where limiting your artillery range can help. Prevents them from burning up all the supplies for places you don't want them to support.

How can you limit the range of artillery? I thought they just had a set range, and that was it.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 5
RE: Artillery in reserve - 5/14/2019 9:32:50 PM   
BigDuke66

Click on the number below Range on the Unit Report screen and set the range you want.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 6
RE: Artillery in reserve - 5/14/2019 10:23:05 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

10 per combat round?
Isn't this the same consumption as adding such a unit to bombard/attack a target?

I just read the manual and on page 86 it's noted:
"All cooperative Air units with Combat Support
orders, Artillery, and Naval units may automatically
add one-half of their Bombardment Strengths to
each Attack within range."

If only 1/2 is added, would this mean artillery on tactical/local reserve add just 25% of their bombardment strength?

You forgot the rest of that:

Artillery units will not
support combats if they have Mobile, Retreated,
or Routed deployments.

The only way they will support is if they are in any deployment other than those three mentioned. And the word 'automatically' should tell you it's not something you assign to the unit. It happens without your intervention if the unit is in the proper deployment. The part about Combat Support only applies to air units. So unless something has changed in the last 20+ years you should get 1/2. I will add that the only way to be sure about anything in this game is to look at the code. Only 2 people can do that.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 7
RE: Artillery in reserve - 5/14/2019 10:54:03 PM   
mussey

quote:

Artillery units will not
or Routed deployments.

I have so much to learn. I did not know this and left my artillery in mobile (too lazy to change deployment). Thanks for the tip.

Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 8
RE: Artillery in reserve - 5/14/2019 11:57:41 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: mussey
quote:

Artillery units will not
or Routed deployments.

I have so much to learn. I did not know this and left my artillery in mobile (too lazy to change deployment). Thanks for the tip.

I predict that your games will be better from now on. I learned to use the last round of the turn to make sure there were no "moving" units ( I'd dig them in or put them in "mobile" ) and that everybody was set to a three-dot standing. This will tend to burn the rounds of your opponent's turn as he attacks. Especially when he attacks with a one-dot setting with a unit that can almost push yours out of the hex but not quite, and so each attack causes losses, mostly to your enemy, and he barely scratches the paint on your units. And he burns all the rounds that are allowed for one battle. Usually. And so his turns are much shorter than yours will be. I like to mod scenarios so that the MRPB is 3 or so to prevent burning the entire turn in one battle.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 5/14/2019 11:58:09 PM >

if the human race ever does get to be space fairing and be able to visit other worlds, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 9
RE: Artillery in reserve - 5/24/2019 5:52:09 AM   
StuccoFresco

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: mussey
quote:

Artillery units will not
or Routed deployments.

I predict that your games will be better from now on. I learned to use the last round of the turn to make sure there were no "moving" units ( I'd dig them in or put them in "mobile" ) and that everybody was set to a three-dot standing. This will tend to burn the rounds of your opponent's turn as he attacks. Especially when he attacks with a one-dot setting with a unit that can almost push yours out of the hex but not quite, and so each attack causes losses, mostly to your enemy, and he barely scratches the paint on your units. And he burns all the rounds that are allowed for one battle. Usually. And so his turns are much shorter than yours will be. I like to mod scenarios so that the MRPB is 3 or so to prevent burning the entire turn in one battle.

Is there a keyboard shortcut to set the various losses' dots, like how you can set units to dug in with "D"?

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 10
RE: Artillery in reserve - 5/24/2019 5:59:45 AM   
StuccoFresco

Another question: if I add artillery to an HQ, and set them in Tactical Reserve, will they support nearby friendly units under attack just as it was a regular artillery unit?

(in reply to StuccoFresco)
Post #: 11
RE: Artillery in reserve - 5/24/2019 6:28:12 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: StuccoFresco
Is there a keyboard shortcut to set the various losses' dots, like how you can set units to dug in with "D"?

Another question: if I add artillery to an HQ, and set them in Tactical Reserve, will they support nearby friendly units under attack just as it was a regular artillery unit?

As I recall it's the 'L' key I use lowercase l and it works too. Pressing the 'L' key will advance the number of dots to the next larger number except if it's already the max then it toggles to 1 dot again. I use the keyboard a lot when I'm just digging in units without moving any of them. Especially the Soviet side in FITE2.

And about your second question, um...IF the HQ unit has any organic arty and the range is greater than or equal to the range to the target then yes, the HQ unit and the regular arty unit will both support the front line troops. Be aware however that some HQ units don't have any organic arty and the range arc is an illusion. I've been known to change the range of non-arty HQ units to 0 so that it doesn't show a range on the unit display and there's no range arc on the map for that unit. It saves a lot of confusion later on. Be aware as well, that you can park one of your bombers particularly close to your intended target hex and then trim the range of the bomber so that it just covers the intended target, usually less than 5 hexes away. Then set the bomber on three-dots and let it CS just that area. It's called dedicating some air support to a specific target or specific small area.

One thing that really bothers me about playing the Soviet side in the early period when the Soviet air shock is 5 and the Axis air shock is 120 and all of my aircraft are really low on proficiency and cherry red from being low on supply. The first turn Axis airfield attacks can usually devestate the aircraft parked closest to the front lines and of those that aren't in reorg and can still fly I move to near Moscow to get them out of the frey and let them rest for about 10 turns or so. I don't fly them again until they gain enough proficiency to be above 50%. Then off they go out to the front lines. And after I learn about the proficiency of the Axis planes compared to mine ( my planes are falling out of the sky ) I usually move them back to Moscow and wait for a lot more planes to qualify for combat. And THEN go out to the field stations enmasse.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 5/24/2019 6:29:10 AM >

if the human race ever does get to be space fairing and be able to visit other worlds, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

(in reply to StuccoFresco)
Post #: 12
RE: Artillery in reserve - 5/24/2019 2:28:36 PM   
StuccoFresco

Thank you very much for the exhaustive answer.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Artillery in reserve Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI