From: BS, MT
I have started a Scenario 78 game with the illustrious BillBrown, and will share my thoughts and insights from the Japanese side. Feel free to PM me with any detailed questions. I appreciate, and can see, the really neat little changes sprinkled all over the OOB, a/c, ships and to the map. Everywhere there is small, but important change, but you have to look for it, appreciate it and then understand how that fits into the bigger picture.: ex. CD unit, lvl 3 fort at Mersing, every objective port now has CD guns in the BF and a level 2/3 fort. It is still very much a stock game along historical lines but feels like both sides have been stockpiling, digging in and building capacity for a 6/42 confrontation. In peacetime, Dictatorships have complete Industrial control, but no control over technological change.
G5N Liz 12/41, 4 x Ha 32 SR4
Has its moments but it’s the only a/c in the game that’s hard to keep flying while training at range 0, without twice the req. av support. Once its down for maint., its 10 days. This is truly the definition of a hanger queen. I find the accuracy so bad, you can’t even hit Queensland from PM.
Ki 43 Id – Oscar 1/42, Ha 35, GV 8, 750lb
- Two 20mm cannon. The ammo load will determine if this is effective as an interceptor against Heavies. Will have uses in a strafing role against lightly defended targets, Burma, China early.
Arado 196 – 12/41 Ha 33, FP GV 12, 600lb
- German designed Float Plane/ Float Fighter, that can now be produced under license by the Empire. Top Speed of 193, easy to remember. It’s a slow Rufe with the same load as the Jake. It can do all missions.
******* Correction ********
- The Arado is a Float plane not a FF. The upgrade path is the same as the Jake, and can only do the same missions as the Jake, but look at that GV!
A6M2 Rufe – 4/42
- Not a Unique a/c but you have about 20 3 plane Chutai on AMC's and several CA that give you added CAP
B5R Kate - 12/42 Carrier Based Recon
- This Kate variant is a valuable tool in the Imperial arsenal. At the start there are 4 Chutai of 9 each, with one being divided in the KB. These let you search harbors far from friendly territory and decrease opfor ambush opportunities in the Phil. and DEI.
Float Plane Re-Sizing
I appreciate the detail in the posts above. Most all the new ships in this scenario have no FPs and mostly start in ports. Like in stock you have many ships, I counted about 13 CA (no BB) ships that have two Chutai on each. Some or all of these can be converted/ re-sized. There are no CS ships, they are carriers at the start, so no re-sizing Chutai to 24: 9 on the AV is the option, I think.
There are 4 FP groups each at Bab, Truk and Tokyo, Alfs all size 16, with 3 planes ready to fly. There are only 5 Glens in reserve at the start. I re-sized one Alf at Tokyo to put Glens on subs in the HI. The rest of the subs will sail to Truk and every three that are produced, will go to a Chutai there and then divide it into 3 for the subs. Just like Stock, around 20k supply at Bab. Resize and increase in size on Day 1. Take FP off some ships in South China Sea to convert to Glen at CRB. The Rufe Chutai on AMC's will thin out with no replacements, so you can re-size/re-purpose or replace with the R ado.
The other two Chutai at Tokyo I converted to training squadrons using the Dave, one search, one ASW.
There are not many Alf in reserve and I used all 25 Jakes to replace a/c on key ships for the range and to fill out some groups. I really like to pair the Alf as a search plane, with a Jake on ASW. Similar ranges, saves on training pilots in two skills and with a size 16 you can divide. Really ideal for the DEI, search at every port and chokepoint. Set them at 80%, and I think you can go extended range with no fatigue increase for the Alf. Precise search arcs, I think at 2k or 3k alt, day and night, and you are all set until the first allied fighter shows up.
Oh, and you get 7 Arado 196 in reserve so get creative!
"I don't like paying for the same real estate twice"
- Famous Patton Misquote
< Message edited by WingCmdr -- 6/12/2019 9:28:24 AM >