Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hit hard, hit fast

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Hit hard, hit fast Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hit hard, hit fast - 5/6/2019 2:13:28 PM   
kch

I just played through this scenario again and it is really a lot of fun. I do have a few doubts about how to go about it.

1) I attack the airfields sequentially, but should I aim to attack all airfields at the same time?
2) When attacking the airfields closest to Cairo and the Nile, do you use a minimum number of aircraft in each wave? To me it seems like using 3 or less aircraft, then there is a high risk of aircraft being shot down
3) The Condib 70 are quite good at hitting revetments and hardstands, destroying the parked aircraft. However is this working as intended? I thought that this was a relatively small catering weapon and not something very effective against parked aircraft.

Thanks for any tips
Post #: 1
RE: Hit hard, hit fast - 5/6/2019 5:51:24 PM   
Ancalagon451

Can't help you with 1) and 2) since I was unable to pass this particular scenario when it came out.

But about 3), think of it this way: An anti-runway-bomb it's meant to burrow itself several meters in the ground via a rocket assist and then detonate and shake the concrete slabs out of position.

If it stars its powered descent over a plane, it's gonna run through it all the way to the bottom like it wasn't even here, and while it's a small bomb it's still a chunk of metal ten inches wide. Think of all the unpleasant things that's gonna make to the soft and squishy aluminium frame. Nor to mention it's very delicate insides.

Also it will still detonate under the ground and literally lift the floor under the plane, easily broking damaged (or even undamaged) spars and bending the undercarriage.

And if all of that weren't enough, the detonation is gonna shower the plane with plenty of concrete schrapnel, launched just into that gaping hole it made a moment before. Remember again those very delicate insides.

Sincerely I'd be very surprised if that plane where ever to fly again.

Ancalagon

(in reply to kch)
Post #: 2
RE: Hit hard, hit fast - 5/6/2019 6:36:02 PM   
Gunner98

I think Ancalagon answered #3 quite well so I'll tackle #1 & #2. I have not played this scenario, or if I did I cannot remember it, but a few thoughts:

quote:

1) I attack the airfields sequentially, but should I aim to attack all airfields at the same time?

This depends on a lot of things but when in doubt revert to the principle of war: Concentration of effort. Shutting down an airfield effectively is what you want to do, if you disperse your efforts over several airfields you may only damage them and that means the bad guys can still use them. So its in the scenario name: Hit hard. Then you move on and hit something else hard, sequentially unless you have huge resources. The obvious question therefore is - what do I hit first? You need to use any information available to you - the briefing, recon, Wiki etc to decide this. Set your priorities, air superiority is usually the highest so find his fighters and shut them down, this will make the rest of the campaign much easier.

quote:

2) When attacking the airfields closest to Cairo and the Nile, do you use a minimum number of aircraft in each wave? To me it seems like using 3 or less aircraft, then there is a high risk of aircraft being shot down

I'm an artilleryman, and we have a saying: Go big or go home! If your aim is to shut down a base, then do that. Its no good 'almost' shutting it down. You'll be tempted to be efficient in your allocation, OK that's nice but accountants don't win battles - don't be wasteful, especial when you have limited weapons, but don't be stingy either.

Hope that helps.

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to kch)
Post #: 3
RE: Hit hard, hit fast - 5/7/2019 2:48:23 PM   
kch

Very good points from all of you.

Regarding number 3) then I just thought that the bomb was too light to cause much damage but you are right in that they are fragile.

Regarding number 1). When closing down an airport is it easiest to hit the run way access points or the run way itself? Do you ever do a recon flight before the strike? I.e. a few minutes before, in order not too give them too much time to react

Regarding number 2). Does attacking from different axis help reduce the risk of being shot down or does the game not take this into account? In relation to the number of aircraft, do you enforce flight size in the mission editor (i.e. 3 for a strike)?

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 4
RE: Hit hard, hit fast - 5/7/2019 3:20:26 PM   
Gunner98

quote:

Regarding number 1). When closing down an airport is it easiest to hit the run way access points or the run way itself? Do you ever do a recon flight before the strike? I.e. a few minutes before, in order not too give them too much time to react

Recon - always if you have it and it is not suicide. Timing is something you need to play with; early & often is nice if you can. If you do recon immediately before a strike and you find that there is nobody home - is the strike worth it? Or you may find your strike package is loaded with the wrong munitions. CBU is best for open parking, perpetrators for HAS etc. Also Recon helps fill in the gaps - if you don't see anyone on the base but you see aircraft originating from the base - the AC live in covered parking (Hangars, HAS more likely but also camouflaged if you see that). Choose your weapons accordingly. Recon immediately pre-strike helps you focus your munitions on the most lucrative targets.

How to shut down a base is the subject of long discussions. If you have penetration bombs - big ones like 2000lb BL-109s I go for the runways because there are fewer of them. Some bases have 20 access points or more. But if you don't have the bombs to do the damage - the access points are easier targets. There are many, many opinions on this one and it is fun to experiment.

quote:

Regarding number 2). Does attacking from different axis help reduce the risk of being shot down or does the game not take this into account? In relation to the number of aircraft, do you enforce flight size in the mission editor (i.e. 3 for a strike)?

Different axis of attack is good, but if the base is heavily defended it may be better to punch a hole in the defences and come in that way. It really depends on the defences, and the game definitely takes that into account in many ways.

Not sure what you're getting at with flight sizes but I tend to set up multiple missions for one base and allocate what I think are the right resources for each one. Have you done the Strike Tutorials, I think #4 or 5 I talk about how I set it up.

Hope that helps - there are no correct answers here and it really depends on what the target looks like compared to what resources you have.

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to kch)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Hit hard, hit fast Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI