Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

John Tiller Games / Pacific land battle!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> John Tiller Games / Pacific land battle!!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
John Tiller Games / Pacific land battle!!! - 5/4/2019 10:03:21 AM   
KenchiSulla

Hi all,

It has been a while but I never forgot or will forget this game or the people playing it. Last year or so I've been focussed on playing ground war strategical and tactical games and I spotted this game just now. It might be of interest to a couple of Japanese or allied ground war fanboys :)

http://www.johntillersoftware.com/PanzerCampaigns/Japan45.html

Roel

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
Post #: 1
RE: John Tiller Games / Pacific land battle!!! - 5/4/2019 11:02:31 AM   
AleRonin

I played several JT's products long time ago, especially Napoleonic Battles, glad to read they are still around.

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 2
RE: John Tiller Games / Pacific land battle!!! - 5/4/2019 11:11:22 AM   
btd64

I have many JT titles. Bought some from talonsoft and some from Matrix....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to AleRonin)
Post #: 3
RE: John Tiller Games / Pacific land battle!!! - 5/4/2019 12:40:35 PM   
Anachro

I just bought the Midway game. It's very fun and puts a decent effort into setting up tactical carrier battles, but it seems a bit too easy to win against the AI. So far, I've won the Battles of Midway, Eastern Solomons, and Santa Cruz Islands as the Allies with no carrier losses and sinking most or all Japanese carriers.

I've also won the Battle of Midway as the Japanese with no carrier losses (while trying to initially keep my tactical maneuvers and decisions unbiased by foreknowledge; in this case, I kept the initial strike on Midway while opting to be more rational and devote 2-3 chutai's to nav search in addition to all the aircraft of my various cruisers and battleships).

The only area where I can't win against against the AI is as the Japanese in the Battle of the Philippine Sea. No matter what I do, I always seem to suffer a Great Marianas Turkey Shoot.

It should be noted that JTS is working on a new land warfare game centered on the potential Operation Olympic and invasion of Kyushu, which looks very interesting to me. I'll probably be getting that. (and doh! I just noticed the link OP provided)

< Message edited by Anachro -- 5/4/2019 12:58:12 PM >

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 4
RE: John Tiller Games / Pacific land battle!!! - 5/4/2019 5:49:48 PM   
rustysi

Thanks for the post.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 5
RE: John Tiller Games / Pacific land battle!!! - 5/5/2019 12:21:09 AM   
pontiouspilot

I used to play Tillers campaign game in Russia...it’s as close to good old Panzerblitz as I have got. I don’t know if it’s PBEM capable?

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 6
RE: John Tiller Games / Pacific land battle!!! - 5/5/2019 9:26:14 AM   
KenchiSulla

Yes, it is PBEM capable. I am currently playing a Normandy '44 Campaign PBEM

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 7
RE: John Tiller Games / Pacific land battle!!! - 5/5/2019 11:13:29 AM   
Anachro

Turn resolution seems very, very slow so far with this combat system Tiller uses for Japan '45.

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 8
RE: John Tiller Games / Pacific land battle!!! - 5/6/2019 2:30:19 PM   
JoV

Picked it up today and had a bit of a mess around/played the starter scenario. Looks like fun!

Is it the case that other than head to head the full campaign is only really setup for Allied play against a Japan AI? Will give the manual a read tomorrow...

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 9
RE: John Tiller Games / Pacific land battle!!! - 5/6/2019 2:48:15 PM   
Anachro

You can play as Japan vs an Allied AI.

(in reply to JoV)
Post #: 10
RE: John Tiller Games / Pacific land battle!!! - 5/9/2019 1:19:32 AM   
JoV

Went through them all yesterday and all the full campaign scenarios are listed as Head to Head or Allied play against the AI. Only some of the smaller scenarios specifically note they are intended for Japan against an Allied AI.

Started one of the full campaigns as Japan and the Allies landed as they should etc on the first turn, but dunno whether the AI is capable of carrying out the rest of the campaign.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 11
RE: John Tiller Games / Pacific land battle!!! - 5/9/2019 5:05:11 PM   
dwesolick

quote:

ORIGINAL: JoV

Started one of the full campaigns as Japan and the Allies landed as they should etc on the first turn, but dunno whether the AI is capable of carrying out the rest of the campaign.

The PzC AI is better at defense that offense. One problem from the older games (I have Japan 45 but haven't been able to play yet) is that the AI attacker tends to keep coming turn after turn, wearing out its units. However, if you give the AI enough to work with, it can be quite challenging. I played as the Germans in the Minsk '44 campaign and I was holding on by my fingernails as a blizzard of Soviet units came at me. Quite a lot of fun actually, and I think with all the Allies have in Japan '45 it will probably be similar for you.

"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur

(in reply to JoV)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> John Tiller Games / Pacific land battle!!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI