How do you get a division with 5 attachments?
You need a long campaign, like 6 or more scenarios. Then you need to choose your favorite unit. In the new version of Operation Barbarossa I chose the 4th Panzer Division.
Tanks are my favorite units since the good old days of Panzer General II. They are fast, strong and can fight in any weather, more or less.
Initially 4th Panzer Division had PzIVE. I upgraded it to PzIVF1 to get slightly better stats against tanks, in exchange for -1 against infantry.
What attachments to choose?
In fact you can choose any.
In this game my 4th Panzer Division will fight mostly infantry and guns, so I made this choice
- flamethrower tanks (useful against infantry),
- repair platoon (to make repairs cheaper),
- supplies (I could have also chosen a motorized antitank company to get a stronger attack against tanks)
- panzergrenadier battalion
- and, finally, another panzergrenadier battalion (or I could have gone for a rifle company because tanks sometimes attack cities.)
How to get 5 attachments?
1. Attack everything you see if you have reasonable chances to win.
2. Manage your troops well, do not waste them in ill-planned attacks. The lost veterans will be replaced by unexperienced recruits and the unit experience will suffer.
3. When you get first 3 attachments and the unit has experience of 400 or so, stop sending replacements to that unit. You do not want to spoil an expert units with recruits and lose the results of an entire scenario. Getting from 400 points to 800 takes time and patience.
4. The 5th attachment comes at 800 points and by then your panzer division looks more like a brigade. Now you can reinforce it, you have enough veterans in the unit.
This is 4th Panzer Division after the last attack in the battle of Kiev. 6 missions done, 7 to go.
< Message edited by AngrySwan -- 5/1/2019 5:31:23 PM >