Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules - 8/5/2019 2:27:53 PM   
Rasputitsa

I had intended to take a break, watching progress on v3.06, but this happened next turn :

1st May 1809 - Weather raining, roads muddy

Turn Resolution : Messages

d'Espagne (cavalry) at 37,17 dislodged and forced to retreat.
Bruyer (cavalry) a at 37,17 dislodged and forced to retreat.
St Sulpice (cavalry) at 36,12 dislodged and forced to retreat.

Not a good day for the French cavalry, as the Austrian defence toughens up, fighting off attempts to entrap them.

Look at the map insert (Previous Turn) in the image below, with NAPOLEON sitting in PASSAU and MOUTON, Guard Corps, one hex North. The plan was to retire MOUTON into PASSAU to rejoin NAPOLEON (who is attached) and 'defend' the town and river crossing.

St Sulpice (cavalry) has been on a detached mission and has reached this area from CHAM and is transferred to MOUTON, but many Austrian units are now revealed both North and South of the river DANUBE.

The plan is to withdraw into PASSAU and hold the town, to keep the two halves of the Austrian army split, until the rest of the French army can concentrate against them. Risky, but we have the NAPOLEON bonus, Guard elite troops and 194 captured supply points in PASSAU.

Good plan, MOUTON didn't think so, because as turn resolution worked through, I watched as he set himself to 'withdraw' and retreated in the opposite direction onto the DEGGENDORF road to join St Sulpice, who had been reported to have been dislodged. I watched in horror as NAPOLEON was left entirely alone in PASSAU, surrounded, as more and more Austrian units appeared on both banks of the DANUBE.

Aghast, I watched as the Austrians closed in, until NAPOLEON burst out of PASSAU, with his bedraggled staff following, and hurried up the road, on the South bank, to DEGGENDORF, over the bridge at DEGGENDORF, held by Gency, and down the opposite bank to join MOUTON (see big image).

The plan is in ruins and maybe rightly so, because if I had achieved what was planned, NAPOLEON would have been bottled up in PASSAU and all messages may have stopped, command and control wrecked.

The Austrians now have several retreat paths open and I failed to block both hexes marked HOLD in the insert, which was supposed to trap many of the Austrian units. The leading cavalry units of d'Espagne and Bruyer, from LANNES corps, were blocked so the Austrians are far from finished just yet.

All of this shows the importance of constantly monitoring the orders issued to each corps commander and detached unit. MOUTON had 'engage' orders, which worked well in the first battle of PASSAU, inflicting huge losses on the enemy, but then on the second day 'engage' carried him into a further, less successful battle, and away from PASSAU. This all raised his stress level and caused MOUTON to ignore the Imperial instruction and he took the safer option to 'withdraw', leaving NAPOLEON alone and dangerously exposed.

The Austrians are not beaten and are capable of fighting back, to hold their positions and allow trapped units to escape.

Meanwhile an enormous convoy of well over 3000 supplies is heading for NEUMARKT and now near REGENSBERG, is this the content of the Austrian LOC. It should not be, as the Austrian LOC was at PASSAU and this was not captured until several turns after the convoy was first seen. If it is the Austrian LOC, then the AI needs some help to make sure that the LOC is not captured too easily, perhaps with an automatic burn/rescue/capture routine, so that the AI retains some supply, the player is rewarded by capturing some and the rest is burnt. Either way, there should not be a convoy of this size wandering around the countryside.

Overall very pleased, learnt a lot, make sure orders are appropriate and up-to-date, keep checking what the corps commanders are doing, because they will take their own decisions when under pressure, but it is good to see that they are not acting as automatons and have a realistic response to situations. It is the army commanders' job to anticipate these situations and take action before the plan unravels.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 9/5/2019 8:56:47 AM >

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 31
RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules - 11/28/2019 6:46:22 PM   
Rasputitsa

Bump!

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 32
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI