Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules - 8/5/2019 2:27:53 PM   
Rasputitsa

I had intended to take a break, watching progress on v3.06, but this happened next turn :

1st May 1809 - Weather raining, roads muddy

Turn Resolution : Messages

d'Espagne (cavalry) at 37,17 dislodged and forced to retreat.
Bruyer (cavalry) a at 37,17 dislodged and forced to retreat.
St Sulpice (cavalry) at 36,12 dislodged and forced to retreat.

Not a good day for the French cavalry, as the Austrian defence toughens up, fighting off attempts to entrap them.

Look at the map insert (Previous Turn) in the image below, with NAPOLEON sitting in PASSAU and MOUTON, Guard Corps, one hex North. The plan was to retire MOUTON into PASSAU to rejoin NAPOLEON (who is attached) and 'defend' the town and river crossing.

St Sulpice (cavalry) has been on a detached mission and has reached this area from CHAM and is transferred to MOUTON, but many Austrian units are now revealed both North and South of the river DANUBE.

The plan is to withdraw into PASSAU and hold the town, to keep the two halves of the Austrian army split, until the rest of the French army can concentrate against them. Risky, but we have the NAPOLEON bonus, Guard elite troops and 194 captured supply points in PASSAU.

Good plan, MOUTON didn't think so, because as turn resolution worked through, I watched as he set himself to 'withdraw' and retreated in the opposite direction onto the DEGGENDORF road to join St Sulpice, who had been reported to have been dislodged. I watched in horror as NAPOLEON was left entirely alone in PASSAU, surrounded, as more and more Austrian units appeared on both banks of the DANUBE.

Aghast, I watched as the Austrians closed in, until NAPOLEON burst out of PASSAU, with his bedraggled staff following, and hurried up the road, on the South bank, to DEGGENDORF, over the bridge at DEGGENDORF, held by Gency, and down the opposite bank to join MOUTON (see big image).

The plan is in ruins and maybe rightly so, because if I had achieved what was planned, NAPOLEON would have been bottled up in PASSAU and all messages may have stopped, command and control wrecked.

The Austrians now have several retreat paths open and I failed to block both hexes marked HOLD in the insert, which was supposed to trap many of the Austrian units. The leading cavalry units of d'Espagne and Bruyer, from LANNES corps, were blocked so the Austrians are far from finished just yet.

All of this shows the importance of constantly monitoring the orders issued to each corps commander and detached unit. MOUTON had 'engage' orders, which worked well in the first battle of PASSAU, inflicting huge losses on the enemy, but then on the second day 'engage' carried him into a further, less successful battle, and away from PASSAU. This all raised his stress level and caused MOUTON to ignore the Imperial instruction and he took the safer option to 'withdraw', leaving NAPOLEON alone and dangerously exposed.

The Austrians are not beaten and are capable of fighting back, to hold their positions and allow trapped units to escape.

Meanwhile an enormous convoy of well over 3000 supplies is heading for NEUMARKT and now near REGENSBERG, is this the content of the Austrian LOC. It should not be, as the Austrian LOC was at PASSAU and this was not captured until several turns after the convoy was first seen. If it is the Austrian LOC, then the AI needs some help to make sure that the LOC is not captured too easily, perhaps with an automatic burn/rescue/capture routine, so that the AI retains some supply, the player is rewarded by capturing some and the rest is burnt. Either way, there should not be a convoy of this size wandering around the countryside.

Overall very pleased, learnt a lot, make sure orders are appropriate and up-to-date, keep checking what the corps commanders are doing, because they will take their own decisions when under pressure, but it is good to see that they are not acting as automatons and have a realistic response to situations. It is the army commanders' job to anticipate these situations and take action before the plan unravels.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 9/5/2019 8:56:47 AM >

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 31
RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules - 11/28/2019 6:46:22 PM   
Rasputitsa

Bump!

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 32
RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules - 2/19/2020 2:27:29 PM   
Rasputitsa

Well v3.06 has not arrived yet, so I might as well continue with this AAR in v3.05 (with house rules).

Finishing off turn 1st May 1809 :

The plan had been to seize PASSAU and split the Austrian forces that were North and South of the river DANUBE, but the plan had unintended consequences.

DAVOUT's III Corps was still dispersed and he did not move on PASSAU as fast expected and despite his high attributes, he had earlier been unable to concentrate and move all his units as required.

NAPOLEON was expecting to be chasing a fleeing enemy and trying to stop their escape, but as the FOW cleared it revealed that far from retreating, the Austrians were massing on PASSAU from both sides of the river.

DAVOUT encountered LOUIS in a battle 12 miles short of PASSAU and counter-attacked, but DAVOUT has not yet received the replacement artillery unit and, despite having a large advantage in infantry, only achieved a limited victory, with losses about even. LOUIS' artillery had the advantage of the open terrain (artillery effect +20%) to hold off the French attack, but the most significant effect is that the Austrian units of Reuss-Plauen and Schustekh were routed and, although not destroyed, will be of limited use and vulnerable to further combat.

So at least DAVOUT is moving towards PASSAU with half of the infantry units of his reconstructed III Corps, to have come into contact with LOUIS, but his newly attached cavalry, artillery and the rest of his infantry units have not yet closed up. DAVOUT himself is holding back, whilst the trailing units catch up, their arrival being delayed as Austrian units had blocked their route, but these have now retreated.

Attempts by the leading French cavalry units had been forced back from closing the trap, as indicated by the messages shown at the beginning of the turn.

MOUTON has pulled back toward DEGGENDORF in the face of the large number of Austrian units discovered on the North bank of the DANUBE and, much as he wished to stay with his beloved Guard, NAPOLEON decides to reattach to DAVOUT, on the South bank, PASSAU is the key objective, as whichever army holds PASSAU can split the other side and currently it is the French army which is split, leaving MOUTON and the Guard alone on the North bank.

DAVOUT's objective is PASSAU, set to 'defend', with 'regular' march. 'Defend' to avoid being drawn into battle again too soon and given 'regular' march to allow following units to catch up.

LANNES, has all units confident and ordered to continue pushing through SCHAERDING towards the objective of PASSAU, to hopefully entrap 13 Austrian units (hex stack count) North of the river INN.

MASSENA, is to support LANNES towards SCHAERDING, as LANNES with be confronting a major part of the Austrian army attempting to retreat through SCHAERDING and PASSAU, or maybe the AI is not finished yet and intends attack through PASSAU, either way the original plan to send MASSENA to LAMBACH and LINZ is too risky, as the Austrian army is concentrated and the French are only now beginning to join up, due to the constant rain and muddy roads. Now is not the time to send MASSENA off to the EAST, although it is tempting to capture river crossings deep in the Austrian rear and make some progress toward VIENNA.

All MASSENA's units are confident, but he has no artillery, which wasn't too important in the advance towards LAMBACH and LINZ, where cavalry is key, but now he will support LANNES as best he can without the guns.

DEGGENDORF. I would like to send supplies to DEGGENDORF for MOUTON's operations on the North bank, but the new LOC LANDAU only has 163 points assembled so far, so sent 100 supply pnts from AUGSBURG to LANDAU, to speed up the building of the depot.

I could give replacements to Dorsenne Guard infantry, with MOUTON, as even though he is 6 hexes from the LOC the replacement button is 'live'. I am considering another house rule about replacements for elite troops, as Guard quality replacements should not easily be available.

I have to remember to check the stacks, because a lot of Austrian units are in the same stacks as French units and shuffling the stacks is the only way to get the full situation. Just discovered the Morand counter is masking possibly 4 Austrian units, which will make DAVOUT's task harder.

Leaving the Engineers at DEGGENDORF in case MOUTON is driven back and the bridge could be then blown, to protect the French rear areas.

I had completely misjudged the situation, as although the AI Austrians have been retreating, it is not in disorder and is quite capable of striking back. The 3400+ captured supply is worrying, because if this is the Austrian LOC supply it will be a game killer.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 2/19/2020 9:04:15 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 33
RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules - 2/19/2020 2:53:26 PM   
Rasputitsa

May 2nd, turn resolution

DAVOUT still wandering around trying to collect separated parts of his III Corps.

Message – Enemy division forced back at 34,14, message panel hides that area
Message – Enemy division forced back at 34,14
Pitched battle at 35,12
Bruyer dislodged and forced to retreat 37,17

Weather is clear, roads are muddy (again)

NAPOLEON has 3 replacements available, which I am holding back for emergencies, especially artillery losses, as I am particularly short of artillery.

The computer controlled supply system has delivered the wandering 3400 supply points to NURNBURG, which I suspect are the captured contents of the Austrian LOC and I will order them to be burnt, which the AI should have been set to do, rather than have them all captured.

The AI may need help to safeguard its LOC, by being given a get-out-of-jail-free card to recover, move, or burn an LOC supply if it is captured, as the AI may have difficulty in anticipating the danger and be able acting in time, as a human player might do.

CHARLES launched a frontal assault on MOUTON with a big superiority in infantry and artillery, whereas MOUTON had a big superiority in cavalry. However, horses cannot fight guns and the smart move might have been to withdraw, as the cavalry would have assured a good withdrawal, but fearing that the CHARLES is heading for DEGGENDORF, I decided to defend.

Despite NAPOLEON having left him, MOUTON beat off CHARLES to win a victory, but suffered some loss (French 10/Austrian 25) to these valuable elite Imperial Guard troops, with many of the Austrian units routed off the field.

A stack check shows that at least 5 Austrian units are still on the battle field. I know from the battle report that most of these Austrian units are routed and so I do not expect CHARLES to renew the attack, which I hope is the case, as MOUTON's fatigue and stress is high and another attack could be very damaging to a valuable corps. Most of MOUTON's casualties are wounded and so they should be able to return to their units, which is good if I am not using elite replacements, but recovery may not be soon.

MOUTON's Guard Corps has 12 points of wounded, so I will check each turn to see how many return.

Meanwhile:

LANNES has made no progress
MASSENA is closing with LANNES
DAVOUT is finally concentrated, with NAPOLEON attached, but completely out of position !!
LEFEBVRE is closing with DAVOUT

After the initial battles and failure to break through in invading Bavaria at STRAUBING and LANDSHUT, the Austrian AI retreated to the area around PASSAU and SCHAERDING, but was not beaten and is fighting back, with the possibility to threaten DEGGENDORF from two directions, although I hope that MOUTON's defence has stopped CHARLES on the North bank.

I thought that I was going to split the AI's forces at PASSAU, but now the AI is doing a good job of splitting my forces and the LOC at LANDAU could be under threat if the AI continues to advance, I just have to get my forces in the centre (DAVOUT) moving.

DAVOUT has moved towards the separated units of his corps, rather that staying on the objective and waiting for them to come to him. This was a problem with v3.04 which I thought had been solved in v3.05, which generally seemed to be the case, except for DAVOUT.

The solution is not to transfer, or reattach, separated units until they have been moved under their own independent orders closer to the intended receiving corps.

I think the units that DAVOUT has left on the DEGGENDORF road (Morand stack) should be able to stop the Austrians that are with them in the same hex, although the divisions of Morand and Gudin are brittle, the infantry brigade of Demont and the cavalry of Marulaz are both confident. It will depend on how much the Austrians (Neustadt infantry and artillery Austrian I Reserve Corps) are hurting and this is hidden in FOW.

So it's not just seeing how units are placed on the map, it is also their quality, fatigue, morale and supply which counts, as a large group of units in poor condition will break, when a few good units in good condition can hold.

A lot of supply moving around the map, some computer controlled, some initiated by me, sending 100 points (house rule limit for one convoy) to DEGGENDORF, in case I have to blow the bridge, at least MOUTON will have some supply available on the North bank.

This has been a slugging match in the mud, which has been continuous and on those days that it actually rained, it also reduced the effectiveness of firearms.

The Austrians are retreating into their own territory, but the French are advancing into enemy territory and I have to be more cautious, so the Austrians have probably moved more quickly.

I thought we were moving into a pursuit phase, but that was an error, as the AI has a lot of fight left and has struck back on both sides of the Danube against DAVOUT and MOUTON.

It looks like I picked up the Austrian LOC, which was at PASSAU (had a peek at the Austrian side of a game save), but that happened before PASSAU was captured, so maybe it was intercepted as the AI attempted to evacuate the supply, which ran into my advancing units, although there was no message about a supply capture of this size.

MOUTON ordered (withdraw/regular march) to 33,11 just outside DEGGENDORF, St. Sulpice has set own retreat back towards the LOC at LANDAU, so re-attached to MOUTON, but not sure if that will work. MOUTON, now alone, is faced by many Austrian units on the North bank of the DANUBE and will not be secure until PASSAU is re-taken and the army can unite.

MOUTON has fatigue and stress, whilst some of his units are in poor shape (wavering and shattered).

LANNES ordered to continue the move on PASSAU with an 'engage' stance to encourage him forward to close the escape route of the Austrian units on his front, but he is low on supply (21), although all his units are confident. LANNES had been drawing supply from the depot at BRAUNAU, which is now empty, ordered more supply (100 – house rule limit) to BRAUNAU.

MASSENA has more supply (91) and has the objective of SCHAERDING, he is supposed to be supporting LANNES, but may have to take over the advance. Ordered 'engage/regular'.

DAVOUT also has the objective of PASSAU and ordered 'engage/regular' (he had dropped to cautious by himself) and has NAPOLEON attached to get him moving.

LEFEBVRE has 'defend/regular' orders to follow up DAVOUT to the crossroads at 35,16, from where he could continue to follow DAVOUT, or move to support LANNES/MASSENA.

The Engineers are still at DEGGENDORF, watched by Gency, ready to blow the bridge if things go badly on the North bank

BERNADOTTE should arrive next turn, but will not be used (what-if house rule – Prussians join Coalition).

Are the Austrians retreating, or manoeuvring to fight back ?

So with some trepidation, hit next turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 2/19/2020 9:19:08 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 34
RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules - 2/19/2020 3:10:06 PM   
Rasputitsa

3rd May 1809

Turn Resolution – Weather is clear, roads are muddy

Cavalry skirmish 34,11
Enemy Division forced back at 34,11

Two battles !

NAPOLEON and CHARLES meet outside SCHAERDING.

NAPOLEON has a cavalry advantage, but CHARLES has a big artillery advantage, whilst the French Bruyer cavalry is expected to arrive in round 2.

Infantry numbers are about equal and the French are all 'fresh' and 'confident', but what state are the Austrian troops, FOW does not reveal this. What to do, it is a risk to attack against such an artillery advantage, as the French artillery is back down the road, or lost in in earlier skirmishes. However, the Austrians are slipping away and NAPOLEON cannot let them get away unscathed, so decides to attack.

A 'frontal assault' is risky, but a 'quick assault' is even riskier and an 'escalating assault' starts slowly and the Austrian might get away. That is of course if they intend to get away, what if they are attacking, then a 'feint attack' would be safer. All of these possible options are predicated on the earlier movement stance orders to 'engage', a purely defensive battle is not an option with an 'engage' advance.

NAPOLEON decides on an 'escalating assault'. Later, notice that the battle is in the town of SCHAERDING and in a town artillery effect is 0%, negating the Austrian advantage in guns.

LANNES shows excellent execution, backed up by NAPOLEON himself, for the Austrians, LOUIS has 'implementation failure' and HILLER has 'total command failure'.

NAPOLEON begins to feel more confident as he sends orders to 'Begin Battle'.

The battle is a French victory (losses 4/15) with first Lindenau, Nordmann, then Brady, Treunfels routed off the field, whilst the Austrian V Corps artillery arrives late and has no effect.

NAPOLEON ruefully considers that a 'frontal assault' may have done more damage, if only he had considered the effect of the town battle, but the initial battle information panel obscures the map and the battle hex cannot be seen, the info panels only shows where the battle is after the battle option has been chosen.

See next post for the Battle Screen

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 2/19/2020 9:27:03 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 35
RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules - 2/19/2020 3:15:21 PM   
Rasputitsa

3rd May Contd.

The result of NAPOLEON's battle with CHARLES near SCHAERDING :

CHARLES has '11 Arty', but the town terrain artillery effect is 0%. NAPOLEON has cavalry superiority. In open terrain those Austrian guns might have been decisive, NAPOLEON was fond of lucky generals and he was lucky today.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 2/19/2020 9:35:01 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 36
RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules - 2/19/2020 3:20:47 PM   
Rasputitsa

3rd May 1809

Cavalry skirmish 34,11
Enemy Division forced back at 34,11

Two battles !

NAPOLEON with CHARLES near SCHAERDING
Morand alone in PASSAU

NAPOLEON and CHARLES meet outside SCHAERDING.

NAPOLEON has a cavalry advantage, but CHARLES has a big artillery advantage, whilst the French Bruyer cavalry is expected to arrive in round 2.

Infantry numbers are about equal and the French are all 'fresh' and 'confident', but what state are the Austrian troops, FOW does not reveal this. What to do, it is a risk to attack against such an artillery advantage, as the French artillery is back down the road, or lost in in earlier skirmishes. However, the Austrians are slipping away and NAPOLEON cannot let them get away unscathed, so decides to attack.

A 'frontal assault' is risky, but a 'quick assault' is even riskier and an 'escalating assault' starts slowly and the Austrian might get away. That is of course if they intend to get away, what if they are attacking, then a 'feint attack' would be safer. All of these options are fixed by the earlier movement stance orders to 'engage', a defensive battle is not an option.

NAPOLEON decides on an 'escalating assault'.
Had not noticed at first, but the battle is in the town of SCHAERDING and in a town artillery effect is 0%

LANNES shows excellent execution, backed up by NAPOLEON himself, for the Austrians, LOUIS has 'implementation failure' and HILLER has 'total command failure'.

NAPOLEON begins to feel more confident as he sends orders to 'Begin Battle'.

The battle is a French victory (losses 4/15) with first Lindenau, Nordmann, then Brady, Treunfels routed off the field, whilst the Austrian V Corps artillery arrives late and has no effect.

NAPOLEON ruefully considers that a 'frontal assault' may have done more damage, if only he had considered the effect of the town battle, but the initial battle information panel obscures the map and the battle hex cannot be seen, the info panels only shows where the battle is after the battle option has been chosen.

See next post for the Battle Screen

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 2/19/2020 3:21:32 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 37
RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules - 2/19/2020 3:23:50 PM   
Rasputitsa

Battle of SCHAERDING 3rd May 1809:

Although this battle screen shows where the battle is taking place, the earlier screen where battle strategy has to be chosen does not indicate where the battle is, except for a hex number which you cannot see as it is hidden by the battle screen, so you cannot judge the terrain effects in you decision.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 2/19/2020 3:27:56 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 38
RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules - 2/19/2020 3:57:28 PM   
Rasputitsa

Here is the opening battle screen for NAPOLEON's battle with CHARLES, where the player must choose the battle strategy, but there is only a note of the battle hex, not the actual site information, or terrain detail, which might affect your strategy decision.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 2/19/2020 3:58:48 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 39
RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules - 2/19/2020 4:08:29 PM   
Rasputitsa

Meanwhile Morand infantry from III Corps has reached PASSAU ahead of the other French units and faces a battle with Austrian forces pouring into the town led by HOHENZOLLERN, who has all the advantages of more infantry with cavalry and artillery available. Again the battle is in a town and the Austrian artillery should be neutralised, but Morand's men are already brittle after previous combat to reach the town and all they have is NAPLOEON nearby to provide a bonus influence. Morand has reached the town with 'engage' orders given to III Corps, but it doesn't look like the rest of III Corps will get there in time. It seems that the safest action is to 'probe' and hope for a low intensity battle, but if the Austrians are in attacking mood it will turn ugly.

Morand is facing element of three Austrian corps, but luckily the Austrians have chosen 'defence in depth', whilst HOHENZOLLERN (Corps) has communication difficulties, LOUIS ( Corps) suffers from slight 'command failure' and LIECHTENSTEIN 'fails to execute a plan'. FOW works both ways and the Austrians are unsure of French numbers and intentions, choosing a safe defensive option, Morand may just survive this day.

Morand fights valiantly routing one of the Austrian units, but more Austrian units (Hessen-Homburg and Neustadt) arrive in round 2 and Morand is overwhelmed and routed off the field.

The battle went through 3 rounds, but stayed at low intensity so Morand is 'shattered' and down to less than half strength, but survives, it might have been worse.

After turn resolution, it is revealed that MASSENA has taken SCHAERDING (ownership has changed, although there are still Austrian units in the town) and Morand is still in PASSAU, but hex stack numbers show that he has up to 8 Austrian units for company and PASSAU is still under Austrian ownership.

The Austrians have escaped from the area between the rivers Roth and Vils, but haven't got much further than SCHAERDING where they are pressed by DAVOUT, LANNES, MASSENA and LEFEBVRE now concentrated with NAPOLEON with all corps having good supply.

MOUTON, near DEGGENDORF, has not been harassed by the Austrians, there is only the infantry division and the cavalry division of Vukassovic (Austrian III Corps) covering his position, whilst he and his units are recovering their composure.

Both armies are now mainly concentrated and now close to each other, for a final showdown.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 2/19/2020 8:34:55 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 40
RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules - 2/20/2020 9:57:26 AM   
Rasputitsa

The game feels 'alive', it's not like placing chess pieces which dumbly follow your orders, but all units from corps to brigades can make their own decisions.

MOUTON was ordered to join NAPOLEON in PASSAU, but when the full strength of Austrian units on the North bank of the Danube was revealed, he thought better of it and retreated towards DEGGENDORF. St Sulpice, with his division of cuirassiers, was attached to MOUTON, but he decided that it was better to head back over the river towards the LOC at LANDAU.

NAPOLEON himself, when he found himself alone in PASSAU, with nobody else coming, and surrounded by Austrian units, decided not to hang around and bugged out.

So nobody, from the Army commander down to a single divisional commander, felt that they had to follow my orders blindly, when the situation obviously required a more sensible action.

Morand on the, other hand, obedient to his orders, threw his infantry division into PASSAU, against overwhelming odds, with more Austrian units coming. Fought them to a standstill, at heavy loss, and is still in PASSAU.

It 'feels' much more realistic when you have active commanders at all levels.

What a game !

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 41
RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules - 2/20/2020 10:14:18 AM   
Rasputitsa

3rd May 1809 continued :

If DAVOUT's III Corps can achieve the capture of PASSAU and keep the Austrians separated there will be the opportunity for a great victory.

The Victory screen show the trend, with 5 Austrian units 'shattered' and army confidence down to (1), whilst French confidence has risen to (3),

They must not be allowed to recover and the pressure must now be increased, as it looks like the Austrians are beginning to crack, but I have thought that before and been surprised.

A couple of turns back I mapped out the Austrian escape routes, but they don't seem ready to retreat just yet, so I have misjudged the situation, see what happens next.

Orders :

DAVOUT – objective PASSAU, 'defend/regular', but noted that Hilaire is not attached, so find Hilaire (used Find button) and re-attach.

Re-set retreat point DEGGENDORF (want to keep DAVOUT close to the river) and reset supply depot as LANDAU (was DEGGENDORF, but this is needed for MOUTON)

MOUTON - objective 37,14 (just outside PASSAU), 'defend/regular' and reset supply depot DEGGENDORF, retreat point also DEGGENDORF. Some of MOUTON's units are brittle, or wavering, but he does not have much immediately in front of him right now.

Deselected 'To the guns' and not using 'engage' orders for both, as I don't want them to be drawn away from their objectives.

LEFEBVRE – objective 37,15 (just outside PASSAU), 'defend/regular', his supply and retreat points are already OK (no change).

Deselected 'To the guns', don't want LEFEBVRE to be diverting in supporting DAVOUT towards PASSAU.

NAPOLEON is anxious to re-capture PASSAU, after his embarrassing and ignominious flight from the town previously. PASSAU is the key to keeping the components of the Austrian army separated, whilst those on the South bank are driven to destruction. The remainder can be dealt with later and then on to VIENNA, for a comfortable and DRY bed in the Schönbrunn Palace.

MASSENA 39,18 (crossroads on the road to LINZ), 'engage/regular', retreat point SCHAERDING. MASSENA's IV Corps has passed LANNES into the advance and LANNES will now support MASSENA.

LANNES 39,18 to follow MASSENA with the same orders, with the intention of defeating the large group of Austrian units still with MASSENA and opening up an advance towards LINZ. This will also cover the slight possibility of more Austrian units appearing from LAMBACH.

Essentially the French corps will be operating in pairs, DAVOUT/LEFEBVRE and MASSENA/LANNES, whilst MOUTON waits to be re-united on the North bank and NAPLOEON remains attached to DAVOUT, as PASSAU is the main objective to be secured.

It has not been raining continuously, but the rain has not stopped long enough to let the roads dry out, so they have been continuously muddy, affecting movement, whilst the rain affects combat, by reducing the effect of firearms and cannon.

The muddy conditions are shown by a darker map in the CHEMKID mod, but the change is subtle as CHEMKID wanted to keep the antique map look, but sometimes I don't notice that it has changed. I have added some text to my version 'Mud' map to highlight the change, but placed in the top left corner, which is what you see when you first start the game and so as not to affect the quality of the map in the main playing area.

Also not using the game hex-grid with the CHEMKID map mod as the grid is too heavy (hot-key H), the integral hex grid that comes with the map mod is just right for me.

Note that in v3.05, if you select a new gamesave when already playing a scenario, the map (Clear, or Mud) will stay it was before the gamesave was selected. The gamesave map situation (Clear, or Mud) is only guaranteed to be correct for a gamesave selected from the start screen. Hopefully, this will be fixed in v3.06, whenever.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 2/20/2020 4:47:13 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 42
RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules - 2/20/2020 10:42:07 AM   
Rasputitsa

The Victory screen shows that French confidence remains high (3), whilst Austrian confidence has slumped to (1) and now Austrian units are showing as surrendered (1) and shattered (5).

The performance of Austrian commanders in the latest battles has not been good, is this the effect of lowering confidence.

So my forces reached both PASSAU (not captured) and SCHAERDING (was captured), so can the French achieve the breakthrough in the next turn ?

4th May 1809

Enemy division forced back at 40,18

NEUMARKT supply depot is burnt, this is the 3400+ captured supply which is thought to be the contents of the Austrian LOC from PASSAU.

BERNADOTTE is sitting quietly 'parked' North of NURNBURG (house rule), this French corps and VANDAMME will not be used to provide better play balance against the Austrian AI and this has certainly led to a more challenging and enjoyable game so far.

MOUTON did not receive his new order's until he had already continued his retreat as far as DEGGENDORF, the effect of orders delay, and was followed by Austrian Vukassovic infantry, with more of Austrian III Corps behind.

Morand detached and sent to LANDAU, then before sending the order changed objective to hex 34.14, just one hex back. I was going to send Morand to the LOC at LANDAU to recover, but a longer march would make it difficult for stragglers to re-join and Morand just needs to get out of the hex where a battle may take place, in which he might be destroyed. One hex should do it, unless there is a disaster, and Mortand will still be close to DAVOUT and NAPOLEON to be revived and have the unit morale restored.

Checking through the stacks to see where Austrian units are mixed in with the French. This reveals 9 Austrians units (II and V Corps) being driven towards LINZ by MASSENA and LANNES, with LANNES now in the lead.

There are no battles, but Austrian losses have increased by (5), so the Austrians are shedding troops in the retreat.

NAPOLEON and DAVOUT did not succeed in taking PASSAU and Austrian forces are massing against them. PASSAU was not taken, but the cavalry units of d'Espagne and Montbrun have reached the Danube between SCHAERDING and PASSAU and affected the split of the Austrian army, if they can keep their positions.

At least 26 Austrian units are in the area between DEGGENDORF and PASSAU.

Considering a move of the LOC to SCHRAEDING, but the battle lines are still too close, until PASSAU is secured. Sending some supply from LANDAU (100) to start a depot.

I see odd supply convoys heading for AMBERG and NEUMARKT, which has not been ordered, and are assumed to be captured supply being sent to the rear by the computer supply system.

Sending more supply (100) to DEGGENDORF for MOUTON.

The choice now is whether to let MASENNA stay with LANNES on the advance towards LINZ, or bring him back to help contain and destroy the Austrians around PASSAU. Decide on the latter, as the Austrians heading for LINZ are not fighting, they seem to be in full retreat and LANNES should manage alone. There is supply at BRAUNAU (172) and LANNES is set to use that closer depot, so (100) more sent from LOC LANDAU.

The Austrians around PASSAU are not retreating and still seem ready to fight, so MASSENA is needed here.

MOUTON should start reacting to the order to advance towards PASSAU from DEGGENDORF, although he is now South of the river, to try and change the order now would only confuse things. MOUTON can re-join the army when the actions around PASSAU are successfully completed. Hopefully.

LEFEBVRE is ordered to follow through PASSAU and, as he has slowed himself to 'cautious' march, this has been changed back to regular.

Hilaire has still not obeyed the re-join order, so repeated again. This is happening a lot, where units have been detached, or have detached themselves, and then will not re-join.

Things are happening slower than anticipated, probably due to the weather, but we will see if PASSAU is taken next turn !

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 2/20/2020 10:47:36 AM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 43
RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules - 2/20/2020 10:54:34 AM   
Rasputitsa

5th May 1809

Turn Resolution – Weather is raining roads are muddy - again

DAVOUT captures 137 supplies (PASSAU)

NEUMARKT supply depot burnt again ???

It's raining again, so the roads are not going to dry out.

NAPOLEON, with DAVOUT, has taken undisputed control of PASSAU, without a battle.

The Emperor's earlier hurt pride at being driven from this town has been avenged.

LANNES is continuing towards LINZ, with the Austrians melting away in front of him, now only two enemy units seen (cavalry screen ?), the rest have skedaddled.

Morand recovering and ordered to PASSAU, intending to re-attach when in a better state.

MOUTON did not react to orders and now has the objective of PASSAU, which I did not set, and has chosen to use the road along the South bank of the Danube which left DEGGENDORF uncovered. Vukassovic followed to the outskirts of DEGGENDORF, where the brigade of Gency has been guarding the crossing and the Engineers have been ready to blow the bridge, but the Austrians have retreated back towards PASSAU, but have not gone far and could be back.

MASSENA has not started back towards PASSAU and is sitting on the crossroads on the objective of a previous turn, so I can only assume that the message from the last turn did not get through. The area around NAPOLEON was a confused mass of units with French and Austrians mixed in the same hexes, so the messenger may have be intercepted. I suppose I should use Berthier's method of sending three messengers with each order. I think the game has a limit on the number of messages you can send in each turn, but I have never seen a limit.

I am using mostly 'defend' march stance, as 'engage' has had some unfortunate results, such as the loss of DAVOUT's III Corps artillery, when other units went off on another road, chasing to 'engage' enemy units and the artillery, which stayed on the correct road to the objective, ran into an enemy rear-guard. This choice often delays action, but is much safer in uncertain FOW conditions.

There are 19 Austrian units opposing NAPOLEON and DAVOUT opposite PASSAU, but they have not fought for the town, can they be brushed aside ?

There are a LOT more Austrian units than the map shows, the single enemy counters may represent stacks and a 'mouse-over' will show stack numbers in the top screen bar, but be cautious as the 'mouse over' also works on apparently empty hexes. FOW will be destroyed if you are able to search all the hexes on the map and this should be fixed in v3.06.

MASSENA is well on the way to LINZ and MOUTON is routeing to PASSAU on the South bank of the Danube, neither of these results were expected, but do I try and change them now, or just accept want is happening and adjust the orders to match, leaving DAVOUT and LEFEBVRE to handle the PASSAU situation alone.

Replacements for Gency brigade not possible, as it is already at the full strength initially allocated, that is only (2) strength points, which I guess equates to only battalion strength (1000 men). One CotD strength point = infantry 500 men.

It seems wrong to use a Guard division from MOUTON's corps as a bridge defence, but 22 miles (36 kms) from the DEGGENDORF crossing is the French LOC. The Austrians cannot be allowed to cross that bridge, even if I have to order the Engineers to destroy it.

Last turn I expected that MASSENA would have joined NAPOLEON, DAVOUT and LEFEBVRE at PASSAU and MOUTON would be closing on PASSAU along the North bank on the DEGGENDORF. This turn I had expected to be able to sweep away the concentration of Austrian units opposite PASSAU, whilst LANNES continues to drive the remaining Austrian units towards LINZ. The end of the campaign in sight, maybe ?

But, MASENNA is sitting on the crossroads objective of previous orders and MOUTON has re-crossed the Danube and is making his way back to PASSAU on the South bank and in no position to threaten the Austrians. Did they not get their orders ?

PASSAU is now in firmly in French hands, but previously there was a confusion of mixed up units, French and Austrian around the town, so I guess the orders messengers did not get through and neither MOUTON, nor MASSENA, seemed to have received their orders.

For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.

So what now ? With MOUTON moving away, Austrian III Corps has probed DEGGENDORF, so I had little option than to order MOUTON to hold the crossing there. There is an advantage, in that MOUTON has many wounded (12) from previous battles, so with MOUTON (Imperial Guard) ordered to defend DEGGENDORF, it gives him more time to be close to the hospital at LANDAU, to restore his damaged units.

None of this would be important if I had the use of VANDAMME and BERNADOTTE and I could now be bulldozing the Austrians back towards VIENNA , so the what-if scenario of 'parking' these units has made for a more interesting game.

LANNES continue to push towards LINZ, detaching Bruyer cavalry to probe LAMBACH, to avoid any surprise on that flank. More (100) supply to BRAUNAU to keep LANNES and MASSENA supplied on this advance.

From LINZ, LANNES can close the direct Austrian supply route from VIENNA to the main Austrian army near PASSAU and intercept them if they retreat that way.

Decide to leave MASSENA supporting LANNE through LINZ, especially if the Austrians do come that way. So the quick strike out of PASSAU with the bulk of the army has now changed to an encircling strategy to choke off the Austrians before they can escape. PASSAU may become a holding operation, although the Emperor still wants to test CHARLES' resolve by attacking the Austrian forces facing PASSAU.

Sending MASSENA over the DANUBE crossing upstream of LINZ, to close the road on the North bank. Also sending (100) supply from LOC LANDAU to SCHAERDING to build up a depot to add to supply for this advance.
More strategy options, keep one corps holding PASSAU, send NAPOLEON with one other corps (LEFEBVRE is in the best condition – all units confident) to join MASSENA and LANNES and confront the Austrians further East, near LINZ, as they retreat, if they retreat.

The strategy combinations are mind-bending, what to do ?

So having been expecting to be able to concentrate around PASSAU for a quick closing battle with CHARLES, the Emperor has finds himself embarked on a wider and longer strategy of enclosing the enemy. This has been forced by events and the realisation that MOUTON, in particular, cannot face another battle so soon and needs time to recover and then the rain. Maybe the weather will improve and the roads dry out and it is a 'campaign' option, ending 14th July, so there is time.

What happens if the Austrians are not retreating and the Reuss-Plau (2 units by hex stack number) near SCHAERDING are hiding more enemy units in FOW and intend to strike back at PASSAU and close in on NAPOLEON from behind.

LEFEBVRE can deal with that, if DAVOUT can hold PASSAU alone ?

DAVOUT has concentrated his newly re-built III Corps at PASSAU, for the first time since being split by Austrian advances, including a replacement artillery unit. Keeping him at PASSAU will allow the Corps to improve its state, especially Morand who is recovering from being shattered in the first attempt to take PASSAU.

So maybe this enforced hiatus is a blessing, as it will give time to regenerate the army, before confronting the Austrians on better terms later.

Decision, LEFEBRVE will march on LINZ down the South bank of the Danube, to ensure that there are no surprises here, joining MASSENA and LANNES to create a strong force in the Austrian rear. NAPOLEON will initially stay attached to DAVOUT to ensure that PASSAU can be held. If the Austrian do attack, they have had difficulty in organising and DAVOUT should hold, whilst the longer the Austrians stay near PASSAU, the tighter the noose will close from LINZ.

DAVOUT is drawing supply from captured stocks in PASSAU, but sending more (100) from LOC LANDAU to keep the depot filled.

I am keeping the LOC at LANDAU, but sending supply forward, in anticipation of moving the LOC forward later.

Dorsenne and Curial of the Guard Cops near DEGGENDORF are eligible for replacements so I have allocated 1 point to each of them. I haven't resolved the issue of whether there would be elite replacements, but assume that the Emperor would comb through other units to find candidates to restore his beloved Guard.

There is another 3400+ convoy appeared at REGENSBERG, heading for NEUMARKT and I have no idea what that is !

I have spent some time and thought on this turn, as it the scenario seems to be at a critical stage and the were so many choice, but press the GO button !

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 2/20/2020 4:41:50 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 44
RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules - 2/20/2020 11:49:23 AM   
Rasputitsa

I have had a problem later in the game, with a feature that I have seen before on a small scale. After a battle, one enemy unit survives in the battle hex and seems to hold the attacking forces attention permanently in that hex, this time three French corps are held frozen by one Austrian unit, with nobody attacking, just sitting and not accepting orders.

So I am going to replay from turn 6 avoiding the situation which caused the freeze, but there will be a delay in posting the new turns.

This does not happen often, but hopefully it will be fixed in v3.06

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Campaigns on the Danube AAR with House Rules Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI