Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I need help w editing color scheme of reports

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> I need help w editing color scheme of reports Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I need help w editing color scheme of reports - 4/27/2019 5:32:13 PM   
Hellen_slith

How do you edit (or can you) the color scheme of the Unit Reports?

I would like to have it show as a black background (instead of green) w/ the little text in the text bars and such be in a soft pastel (light blue or light green) ... trying to show example of what I mean in below image:

The default scheme (of garish gold yellow little text against the green background) is really hard on my old eyes, getting to where it makes my eyesight get the shim shams after I look away. Even now, having a hard time looking at the game reports.

Thank you for your kind help ... can you show me where to click and what colors numbers I need, and which fonts to edit? I'm not having much luck w/ hunting and pecking to find the right settings. Thanks again!

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: I need help w editing color scheme of reports - 4/27/2019 5:58:34 PM   
Cabido

To change the background color you have to edit the boxes.png file in the graphics folders. Change the color and save the new version on the graphics override folder.

To change the fonts, you'll find a font editing tool in the player option menu item.

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: I need help w editing color scheme of reports - 4/27/2019 8:04:43 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hellen_slith

How do you edit (or can you) the color scheme of the Unit Reports?

I would like to have it show as a black background (instead of green) w/ the little text in the text bars and such be in a soft pastel (light blue or light green) ... trying to show example of what I mean in below image:

The default scheme (of garish gold yellow little text against the green background) is really hard on my old eyes, getting to where it makes my eyesight get the shim shams after I look away. Even now, having a hard time looking at the game reports.

Thank you for your kind help ... can you show me where to click and what colors numbers I need, and which fonts to edit? I'm not having much luck w/ hunting and pecking to find the right settings. Thanks again!

You might also try changing the text contrast to maximum.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Post #: 3
RE: I need help w editing color scheme of reports - 4/27/2019 9:14:43 PM   
Cabido

Try this to get your color number:

https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/color/rgb-to-hex.html

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 4
RE: I need help w editing color scheme of reports - 4/27/2019 10:20:28 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cabido

To change the background color you have to edit the boxes.png file in the graphics folders. Change the color and save the new version on the graphics override folder.

To change the fonts, you'll find a font editing tool in the player option menu item.

Oh, ok, so I do that w/ a text editor? ok, so Black w/ be 0000000 i'd guess ... I see some of the color numbers in the editor ....

and then save that new "boxes.png" file over whatever is now the in graphics over-ride folder?

Ok, I think I get that. Going to try it now!!! OMG!!! Ha Ha, I never can figure this stuff out

THANK YOU!!!

(in reply to Cabido)
Post #: 5
RE: I need help w editing color scheme of reports - 4/27/2019 10:24:48 PM   
Hellen_slith

THANK YOU!!!! That is exactly what I needed.

#C04AEC looks pretty nice, but it might be too deep of a purple for the black background.

I need to lighten that up a bit.

It does NOT help to have my GF breathing down my neck, trying to suggest some nice colors. LoL.

Me: "TRYING TO PLAY ARMY MEN, HERE, BABE."

Her: "tee hee ..."

Ok, THANK YOU again, I think I just might be able to figure this out. Will post a screen shot if I get it to work!!!

D

(in reply to Cabido)
Post #: 6
RE: I need help w editing color scheme of reports - 4/27/2019 10:26:46 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

Try this to get your color number:

https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/color/rgb-to-hex.html

quote:

Now my GF is playing w/ it, trying to find a new color for me to paint the kitchen.

<sigh>

LoL!!! You have opened a can of worms here, my friend.

Thanks again!!!

(in reply to Cabido)
Post #: 7
RE: I need help w editing color scheme of reports - 4/27/2019 10:35:51 PM   
Hellen_slith

[/quote]
You might also try changing the text contrast to maximum.
[/quote]

Will try that first, before I start messing w/ color numbers ... I did also switch my monitor screen from "VIDEO" style, to "GRAPHICS" style, whatever THAT does, b/c I don't watch movies or video on it, only TOAW grafx ... also I messed w/ brightness, contrast, softened the brightness helped also. Trying to fix it where I do not get shim shams in the peepers, man, it was getting real bad there yesterday, was even hard for me to read afterward last night ... kept seeing "visual artifact" type eye-burns from unit reports playing Fulda '78 against Elmo. He's a pretty good in that one!!

Ok, my friends, thank you again and I will try those tricks now and report back later!! Have a great weekend!!

D

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 8
RE: I need help w editing color scheme of reports - 4/27/2019 11:17:50 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

Computer says: "I can't let you do that, D."

"Not Allowed" even w/ full admin capabilities here ...

ok, trying the same thing now from game options font editor ...

Wish me luck!!!!
D

(in reply to Cabido)
Post #: 9
RE: I need help w editing color scheme of reports - 4/27/2019 11:33:13 PM   
Hellen_slith

I changed a font color, but I don't see any results yet.

Do I have to tell the computer, "Use Graphics Override" or something??

Man, this is frustrating as f. This could be such a great game, but the manual seems to be lacking.

I just want to change some basic text and background colors, should not be this hard.

<sigh>

I will figure it out, though, one of these days!!! Thanks for the tips, I am headed in the right direction!

D

Post #: 10
RE: I need help w editing color scheme of reports - 4/27/2019 11:45:10 PM   
Cabido

Put this in your graphics override folder. I don't think it will look nice, but you'll have your black background.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 11
RE: I need help w editing color scheme of reports - 4/27/2019 11:55:25 PM   
Hellen_slith

OK, I see now where I might want to change in player options font editor, the color 0xEFD814 to 0xC08AEC, and I have changed that for one option so far ... and there are like 20 more options like that, ideally that choice should carry over into all the menus, but it doesn't. and then I think I will see the "gold yellow eye burn" color change to "soothing relief" ... but changing the background green to black will have to wait while I figure out this one font color. <sigh>

SO, in the meantime, I will undertake my NATO mission (described further in my new AAR for NATO v WP 78)

Thank you for your kind helps and tips, it is very encouraging! D

Post #: 12
RE: I need help w editing color scheme of reports - 4/27/2019 11:57:00 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

Put this in your graphics override folder. I don't think it will look nice, but you'll have your black background.

Thank you, I will try this!

(in reply to Cabido)
Post #: 13
RE: I need help w editing color scheme of reports - 4/28/2019 12:01:46 AM   
Cabido

I have created a mod for TOAW's interface. Interface look is something very subjective, but you may see if things look better for you here:

http://toawstuff.000webhostapp.com

Go down to the title "Board game style mod 1.2 for TOAW IV (with interface)" and scroll the images at the bottom of the image box to see examples of the interface. There is a document explaining how to install the interface without map's graphics.

Post #: 14
RE: I need help w editing color scheme of reports - 4/28/2019 8:43:28 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

I have created a mod for TOAW's interface. Interface look is something very subjective, but you may see if things look better for you here:

http://toawstuff.000webhostapp.com

Go down to the title "Board game style mod 1.2 for TOAW IV (with interface)" and scroll the images at the bottom of the image box to see examples of the interface. There is a document explaining how to install the interface without map's graphics.

Thanks! I will check that out.

Update here: I have switched my monitor to "SOFT" (lessens brightness / contrast) and messed with some of the colors in the font editor.

Now, the "inter-turn" where it shows "checking replacements / air" etc....THAT box is now BLACK like I want it. But, alas, I managed to set "location names" to where there is a grey bar background behind the glaring yellow city names. Minor progress ... but progress, nonetheless.

I'm kind of afraid to mess with more settings, assuredly I will muck it up. Any other hints are greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!!
D

(in reply to Cabido)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> I need help w editing color scheme of reports Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI