Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Events Triggers vs Effects

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Events Triggers vs Effects Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Events Triggers vs Effects - 4/26/2019 9:38:44 PM   
76mm

I'm playing around with the Event Editor and noticed that many of the event "Effects" are not available for some of the event "Triggers". For instance, look how many of the effects are excluded for the "1 occupies" trigger:

While I understand that some of the Effects might not make sense for some of the Triggers, I can't say that that applies to many of the excluded Effects shown above. For instance, if a force occupies an area, it could cause most of the remaining Effects which have been excluded. And why, in particular, are the "Activate Event", "Cancel Event", and "Enable Event" Effects excluded?? Is this some kind of bug or am I missing something?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 76mm -- 4/26/2019 9:43:56 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Events Triggers vs Effects - 4/26/2019 9:57:05 PM   
sPzAbt653

It is called the Evil Ed! I have never seen any complete explanations, but see here for more evilness:
Evil-Ed Doc https://thetoawbeachhead.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/evil-ed-toaw-3-4.pdf

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 2
RE: Events Triggers vs Effects - 4/26/2019 10:52:41 PM   
76mm

Thanks, that's very helpful, will take a look. Do you think there have been any significant changes since that doc was drafted?

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: Events Triggers vs Effects - 4/26/2019 11:02:53 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I'm playing around with the Event Editor and noticed that many of the event "Effects" are not available for some of the event "Triggers". For instance, look how many of the effects are excluded for the "1 occupies" trigger:

While I understand that some of the Effects might not make sense for some of the Triggers, I can't say that that applies to many of the excluded Effects shown above. For instance, if a force occupies an area, it could cause most of the remaining Effects which have been excluded. And why, in particular, are the "Activate Event", "Cancel Event", and "Enable Event" Effects excluded?? Is this some kind of bug or am I missing something?

1/2 Occupies/Attacks uses both x/y slots and the value slot. So effects that use those can't be effected by those triggers.
1/2 winning/unit destroyed/variable value use the value slot. So effects that use that can't be effected by those triggers.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 4
RE: Events Triggers vs Effects - 4/26/2019 11:20:37 PM   
mussey

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

It is called the Evil Ed! I have never seen any complete explanations, but see here for more evilness:
Evil-Ed Doc https://thetoawbeachhead.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/evil-ed-toaw-3-4.pdf

Thanks, very helpful indeed.

Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 5
RE: Events Triggers vs Effects - 4/27/2019 9:49:51 AM   
cathar1244

This is a .pdf document showing triggers and their possible effects. If anyone sees an error, please advise. May be of use to scenario designers.

Cheers

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by cathar1244 -- 4/27/2019 9:50:23 AM >

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 6
RE: Events Triggers vs Effects - 4/27/2019 11:20:55 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

Do you think there have been any significant changes since that doc was drafted?

It's a long and complex document so it's difficult to say. I scanned thru it and didn't see anything that may have been 'significantly' changed, but a full and thoughtful read would be required for verification.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 7
RE: Events Triggers vs Effects - 4/27/2019 11:38:19 AM   
76mm

Thanks--do you know off-hand about this one, listed as a bug on page 2:
Delay and Range
Ranges and Delays only work with Turn, Event Activated, and Event Cancelled triggers. They are ignored with other triggers. And Range only works the first time an event is activated. If you later recycle a Turn trigger event, for example, any attached Range will be ignored (Curt)

Sure seems like a bug, since Ranges and Delays are shown as options for several other Triggers, and indeed are part of the justification for more Effects not working with those Triggers. Would seem odd if this hadn't been fixed since that doc was prepared in 2002 (?!), at least by removing the Effects that don't do anything...

< Message edited by 76mm -- 4/27/2019 11:39:33 AM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 8
RE: Events Triggers vs Effects - 4/27/2019 11:45:58 AM   
76mm

And I've started work on a revised XML-based Event Editor, and think it would be super-helpful to include this doc's content within the editor as tips (ie, a pop-up tips for each of the various Triggers and Effects).

Do you think the authors would mind (assuming I just cut-and-paste the content, with full accreditation), and do you know who I should contact to be sure? I see that Curt Chambers was the editor but am not sure who that is on this board, or even if he is here any more (17 years is a long time!!).

< Message edited by 76mm -- 4/27/2019 12:14:04 PM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 9
RE: Events Triggers vs Effects - 4/27/2019 12:28:03 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

And I've started work on a revised XML-based Event Editor, and think it would be super-helpful to include this doc's content within the editor as tips (ie, a pop-up tips for each of the various Triggers and Effects).

Do you think the authors would mind (assuming I just cut-and-paste the content, with full accreditation), and do you know who I should contact to be sure? I see that Curt Chambers was the editor but am not sure who that is on this board, or even if he is here any more (17 years is a long time!!).

Sent you a pm.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 10
RE: Events Triggers vs Effects - 4/27/2019 1:03:42 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

do you know off-hand about this one, listed as a bug on page 2

I did specifically look at the ones listed as bugs in case any of them rang and bells, but none did. I would assume what is said to still be true until testing proves otherwise, or if someone else with differing knowledge speaks up.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Events Triggers vs Effects Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI