I definitely learned some harsh lessons this game, it was my first MP game and only my second actual play through of the game so I wasn't expecting a victory, although I also did not expect to have my ass handed to me this harshly. The disastrous opening left me flustered on how to continue. After the loss of Guderians panzer group in the mud I also became extremely cautious not wanting to repeat the mistake. My plan was to stick it out through the blizzard and fight him on a strong line of forts, then come 1942 take Leningrad before retreating back to the dnepr line. Turns out I had left the Sovjet army in to strong a state to withstand their offensive.
The return game as the sovjets will hopefully go better.
Well given it was only your second actual play through, the result isn't unexpected. World of difference between AI play and play against and experienced opponent.
As for playing Soviets, it's a completely different game than playing Axis. Here is some basic guidance for you....
1. Your top priority has to be to avoid encirclements and don't fight until you're ready to fight. You can give up ground, you can't bring men back to life. For the Germans to win they have to kill Soviets. Don't let him. Avoid using a linear defense, particularly early in the game. Until you have enough strength, the key is to make the Germans burn movement.
2. You have to play the game a few turns in advance and have fort lines ready to go before he gets there.
3. Don't engage in a stand up fight until you're ready. Places like the landbridge by Smolensk are deathtraps against competent German play.
4. Put your best commanders in command of armies defending key areas. Don't waste them at Front level.
5. Be sure to properly use reserve activation. It makes a world of difference. It lowers digging I think, so it's a balancing act.
6. Don't overbuild support units early in the game. You don't need them, you have plenty to start with. Don't go crazy putting a good commander in charge of every army. Replace them for the armies that will be fighting. You'll never have enough admin to do all you want to do.
7. Concentrate your air force where you will fight. Use your airforce, that's what it's there for and don't worry about the horrific losses you'll take. Starting Turn 8 you can build 8 new air groups every turn. Build them.
8. Be sure to evac the factories that need to be evac'ed.
9. Use the rails, it's the soviets best friend and you can shift massive combat power quickly and easily on the rails as necessary. You don't fatigue your men moving them this way.
12. See 10 and 11.
< Message edited by MattFL -- 8/29/2019 5:42:58 PM >