Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to move some of the windows

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> How to move some of the windows Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to move some of the windows - 4/22/2019 12:58:58 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs
Larry, dumb question but in your AAR/screen shots, I notice that some of your interface components are not in the default location. I was looking around and did not see a way to move them, I can turn them on/off but have not seen a way to move them.

Am I missing something stupid?

About half a millimeter above the top border of most of the windows is an invisible "grab" area so that you can click-hold and drag the window to where you want it to live. I move the air losses meter to the bottom left and the dohickie in the top left corner gets moved to the far left bottom in that divit built into the status bar and the "buttons" window gets moved to the bottom edge of the Unit Display and the mini-map gets moved to just under that on the far right side. So that a tiny bit larger area is left in the middle and the mini-map is easier to reach from the "next" button, I can do my game play slightly faster, and be aware that zooming up and then back down will reset your windows to their default positions, a bug for sure, and there's no way to save the positions of the windows to a configuration file so that reading in that file will re-position your windows automatically ( yet ). I'm not even sure that any of the developers have this bug on their list of things to fix. Consider it on the "wish list" I guess. At least I can move the windows.

"Am I in hell? I thought there would be more country western music."
Paulogia, 2019
Post #: 1
RE: How to move some of the windows - 4/22/2019 1:11:41 AM   
Zovs

Thanks Larry for that tip.

I just started using the mouse wheel scroll to zoom and its fanatic (saves some mouse clicks), so hopefully a config file will be in the works as well as fixing that issue when you zoom.

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario creator

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 2
RE: How to move some of the windows - 4/22/2019 1:26:11 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Thanks Larry for that tip.

I just started using the mouse wheel scroll to zoom and its fanatic (saves some mouse clicks), so hopefully a config file will be in the works as well as fixing that issue when you zoom.

This game has a lot of these Easter Eggs and you can find out a lot by exploring a lot of the buttons and column heads ( some of them sort ) and dialog checkboxes and so on. It turns out that it helps to get high on medical marijuana first before you start exploring because it helps you think more "out of the box" and you can envision more combinations of dialogs that would be a lot more helpful than the combinations we have right now. For instance the Equipment Display Dialog, the one that shows the particulars of that particular piece of equipment might also display the line from the inventory report that shows the time period during the game that that particular piece of equipment is being built by the game engine. Because it may no longer being built or it's not being built yet, or whatever. Also, that kind of information is needed by the player when he's assigning missions to the aircraft units. The Soviet player needs a quiet front for his biplanes ( I-153's ) because those planes fall from the skies when you try to defend Moscow with them. And those planes that are no longer being built are moved to quiet areas to make them last as long as possible. We are already working with imperfect information, it would facilitate gameplay if there were ways to filter the lists of things. Sometimes you want to filter the aircraft listed to show just the fighters or just the bombers etc. Things like that.

Paulogia, 2019

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 3
RE: How to move some of the windows - 4/22/2019 1:32:11 AM   
Zovs

Larry agree with all that except the medical marijuana bit. I’ll stay clean been sober from scotch/whiskey for five years and counting.

TOAW is awesome, surprisingly how much I retained and recall from days of yor...

WarPlan Beta Tester

Post #: 4
RE: How to move some of the windows - 4/22/2019 1:35:07 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Larry agree with all that except the medical marijuana bit. I’ll stay clean been sober from scotch/whiskey for five years and counting.

TOAW is awesome, surprisingly how much I retained and recall from days of yor...

Good for you. Your best games are ahead of you. You're getting more dangerous every day. I hope some day to play against you. I'd probably learn a lot.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 4/22/2019 1:36:49 AM >

Paulogia, 2019

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 5
RE: How to move some of the windows - 4/22/2019 2:04:13 AM   
Zovs

It has been a hard road and addiction is an impossible enemy at times. War games, while addictive are also therapeutic in a very strange way.

Been playing war games since ‘78/79, your pbem card is probably full, but when it’s free shoot me a message. I think I’ll be learning more than you lol.

WarPlan Beta Tester

Post #: 6
RE: How to move some of the windows - 4/22/2019 2:12:40 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

It has been a hard road and addiction is an impossible enemy at times. War games, while addictive are also therapeutic in a very strange way.

I quite agree. I've got a modded copy of B41 that I go to when I have a spare hour or so and I find myself trying to find the "magic procedure" that get's my forces to Riga the soonest. I've achieved T2 already several times but to make it in T1 is an amazing challenge.

quote:

Been playing war games since ‘78/79, your pbem card is probably full, but when it’s free shoot me a message. I think I’ll be learning more than you lol.

You're on. What's your favorite scenario? Let me rephrase that....which one would you like to play against me? Let's play your favorite and you get to be either side you want. And if it turns out it's less fun than you planned we can switch sides. I anticipate being more free PBEM-wise in about two months. But if you don't mind one turn a week I can go now.

Paulogia, 2019

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 7
RE: How to move some of the windows - 4/22/2019 2:16:53 AM   
Zovs

One turn a week sounds good to start, I’ll review, pull and do first turn this week and send it to you.

WarPlan Beta Tester

Post #: 8
RE: How to move some of the windows - 4/22/2019 2:19:40 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

One turn a week sounds good to start, I’ll review, pull and do first turn this week and send it to you.

Sounds good. Want to give me a hint about the period or theme or area or size or complexity or something?

Paulogia, 2019

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 9
RE: How to move some of the windows - 4/22/2019 2:30:27 PM   
mussey

quote:

invisible "grab" area so that you can click-hold and drag

Larry, thanks for an excellent tip!

Cathar is in the process of revising modern aircraft which I intend to use in Expanded, and I too am rethinking how to label them so that players can quickly see their main function/strength. Such as 'F' fighter/'I' interceptor, 'FB' fighter-bomber, 'N' naval, etc. What do you think would be a better way, to embed them in the name title box or the nation/year box?

Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

Post #: 10
RE: How to move some of the windows - 4/22/2019 2:40:50 PM   
larryfulkerson

I like the idea of putting the info in the name title box right up front, first place you look. I remember a scenario where the designer put things like "F-104G 55th TFS" so you'd know exactly what you're dealing with. A lot of scenarios give the exact unit name which is good but doesn't tell you much about what kind of plane you're dealing with. I would like to at least know whether it's a fighter, or a fighter-bomber, or a psyops plane in the name of the unit. I'd rather not have to look under the hood to find out what kind of plane it is. Sometimes you can use the range of the unit as a code to it's type. But now that you can change the range of the unit it's a lot easier to use the range of the unit as a code for aircraft type. A range of 82 hexes could be the range you use for your AC-119K's and 290 hexes could be the range for your A-66C/D's. That's my workaround.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 4/22/2019 2:41:24 PM >

Paulogia, 2019

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 11
RE: How to move some of the windows - 4/22/2019 2:50:47 PM   
mussey

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

I like the idea of putting the info in the name title box right up front, first place you look. I remember a scenario where the designer put things like "F-104G 55th TFS" so you'd know exactly what you're dealing with. A lot of scenarios give the exact unit name which is good but doesn't tell you much about what kind of plane you're dealing with. I would like to at least know whether it's a fighter, or a fighter-bomber, or a psyops plane in the name of the unit. I'd rather not have to look under the hood to find out what kind of plane it is. Sometimes you can use the range of the unit as a code to it's type. But now that you can change the range of the unit it's a lot easier to use the range of the unit as a code for aircraft type. A range of 82 hexes could be the range you use for your AC-119K's and 290 hexes could be the range for your A-66C/D's. That's my workaround.

Excellent, I think we're on the same page. Thanks!

Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

Post #: 12
RE: How to move some of the windows - 4/22/2019 3:15:55 PM   
sPzAbt653

I like to use the Icons to tell me what an Air Unit is for, if its possible.
Fighter = Fighter
Fighter Bomber = Interdiction
Bomber = Combat Support

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 13
RE: How to move some of the windows - 4/22/2019 7:43:27 PM   
Zovs

I have found that when you use the Mouse Scroll Wheel (msw) that the windows that you have positioned will stay where you placed them, and likewise they will stay when you start a new scenario.

Also, for the new info on the scenario I think (or I should say my personal preference) is to see a space in the top of the scenario breifing. The converted scenarios automatically inserts the complixity and ratings right at the top of the file, so for example:

<-PLACE AN EMPTY LINE HERE ->
PROKHOROVKA 1943

The Tide in the 

East Turns West

Scenario by: C. Barcia
TOAW IV (4.1.0.21) conversion by Don Lazov on 4/22/2019

When you place that empty linke you'll see this:

WarPlan Beta Tester

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 14
RE: How to move some of the windows - 4/23/2019 1:44:15 AM   
Lobster

I don't know if you noticed but you can zoom in and out in increments while you are in any zoom level. It's in the MAP tab. The Y up and down buttons. Or you can just press the Y key to zoom in and Shift Y to zoom out.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 4/23/2019 1:45:40 AM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 15
RE: How to move some of the windows - 4/23/2019 2:18:17 AM   
Zovs

Yes I did notice that, but for me the y zooms were a little grainy. For me the mouse scroll is my friend.

Also u, and i key, if airfield or bridge attack had a key I’d be set.

WarPlan Beta Tester

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> How to move some of the windows Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI