Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Late War Airlift Capability

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Late War Airlift Capability Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Late War Airlift Capability - 4/20/2019 1:48:43 PM   
HansBolter

Just wanted to show what the Allies are capable of in the way of airlift in October of '45:

I assault dropped the 11th Airborne Division on Kurume. Everything else in the attached screenshot was airlifted in over multiple days. The newest arrivals were the 541st Parachute Regiment and the 28th Airborne Tank Battalion.

I used PBY3-5 Coronados and C-54 Skymasters to haul the tanks.

The larger capacity transports that start arriving in the second half of the war allow you to move much larger gear than the early war transports. Coronados have 12k capacity while Skymasters have 16.5k.

12 x PB2Y-5 Coronado transporting 28th Airborne Tank Battalion to Kurume
12 x PB2Y-3 Coronado transporting 28th Airborne Tank Battalion to Kurume
8 x PB2Y-5 Coronado transporting 28th Airborne Tank Battalion to Kurume
2 x PBY-5 Catalina transporting 2nd Fiji Commando Battalion to Tawau
6 x C-63 Hudson dropping 2nd Fiji Commando Battalion at Tawau
25 x C-47 Skytrain transporting 541st Parachute Regiment to Kurume
25 x C-47 Skytrain transporting 541st Parachute Regiment to Kurume
24 x C-47 Skytrain transporting 541st Parachute Regiment to Kurume
6 x C-47 Skytrain transporting 541st Parachute Regiment to Kurume
25 x C-46D Commando transporting 541st Parachute Regiment to Kurume
14 x C-54 Skymaster transporting 28th Airborne Tank Battalion to Kurume
17 x C-54 Skymaster transporting 28th Airborne Tank Battalion to Kurume
38 x C-54 Skymaster transporting 28th Airborne Tank Battalion to Kurume
50 x C-54 Skymaster transporting 28th Airborne Tank Battalion to Kurume

Attachment (1)

Hans

Post #: 1
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/20/2019 2:17:24 PM   
btd64

WOW, big airlift....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 2
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/20/2019 2:44:19 PM   
Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

WOW, big airlift....GP

Cool! How did y get the tanks into the Coronado and C-54s...?

Fred

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 3
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/20/2019 4:50:25 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leandros

quote:

WOW, big airlift....GP

Fred

Hey, I'm just a dumb player taking advantage of the mechanism the game offers.

I presume the planes must have big rear doors and ramps like modern air transports.

And they are pretty small tanks.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 4/20/2019 4:51:12 PM >

Hans

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 4
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/20/2019 5:31:57 PM   
Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leandros

quote:

WOW, big airlift....GP

Fred

Hey, I'm just a dumb player taking advantage of the mechanism the game offers.

I presume the planes must have big rear doors and ramps like modern air transports.

And they are pretty small tanks.

Sure, no problem. I just wondered if you knew something I didn't. Yes, the Stuarts are pretty small
but they do weigh 15 tons and none of these planes have a drive-on/off ramp. There was a later/larger
seaplane that had, but that was after WWII. It is interesting because a "fast transport"/APD won't
accept vehicles, at least that is my experience so I thought maybe the game would have filtered the
tanks off the transports.

Good for you it didn't.....

Fred

Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/20/2019 5:34:59 PM   
Yaab

From Wikipedia on the 28th Airborne Tank Battalion:

------------------

The 151st Airborne Tank Company was formed on 15 August 1943, despite concerns that there would be insufficient transport aircraft to deliver the unit into battle, and the 28th Airborne Tank Battalion was also formed in December of the same year. However, neither unit saw combat, due to the US Army's lack of interest in using them in an airborne capacity. The 151st Airborne Tank Company remained in the United States, shuttling from base to base throughout the war, and the 28th Airborne Tank Battalion was refitted with conventional tanks in October 1944.[16] Some 25 Locusts were ordered in April 1944 for use in the European Theater of Operations, and delivered by September; although a small number were sent to the United States Sixth Army Group in Alsace, France, for testing, they were never used in combat.[17] However, the British still required the M22 as a replacement for the Tetrarch and the first prototype Locust was shipped to Britain in May 1942 for testing, followed by the second prototype T9E1 in July 1943.[18]

-------------

So, they had planned to equip the battalion with M-22 Locust tanks for airborne operations.

< Message edited by Yaab -- 4/20/2019 5:35:13 PM >

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 6
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/20/2019 5:53:22 PM   
Dili

I think devices can only have a load cost of 7 max if air dropped, 9 if air transported, except squads.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 7
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/20/2019 5:58:24 PM   
HansBolter

When the unit entered as a reinforcement I wondered if it was actually possible to air drop or even air lift it, but figured what the heck, I'll give it a try. I presumed I would need to use only the largest capacity transports. I air lifted it. Haven't yet tested if it can be air dropped.

An airborne artillery battalion with 75mm pack howitzers entered as a reinforcement well before the tank battalion and was successfully assault dropped on Calapan in the PI before joining this current airhead in Kurume by air lift.

Attachment (1)

Hans

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 8
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/20/2019 6:20:43 PM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

When the unit entered as a reinforcement I wondered if it was actually possible to air drop or even air lift it, but figured what the heck, I'll give it a try. I presumed I would need to use only the largest capacity transports. I air lifted it. Haven't yet tested if it can be air dropped.

An airborne artillery battalion with 75mm pack howitzers entered as a reinforcement well before the tank battalion and was successfully assault dropped on Calapan in the PI before joining this current airhead in Kurume by air lift.

Just a minor quibble - that picture is NOT a 75 mm pack howitzer, in fact it looks a lot bigger than 105 mm.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 9
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/20/2019 6:29:32 PM   
Dili

Images in that menu have no relation to the device except that is artillery.

(in reply to Uncivil Engineer)
Post #: 10
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/20/2019 6:45:37 PM   
rustysi

Doubt that those tanks were in fact capable of being airlifted. But, chalk another one up to those darned Allies, they get all the advantages.

Oh, I'm a bad boy.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 11
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/20/2019 7:20:44 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

From Wikipedia on the 28th Airborne Tank Battalion:

------------------

The 151st Airborne Tank Company was formed on 15 August 1943, despite concerns that there would be insufficient transport aircraft to deliver the unit into battle, and the 28th Airborne Tank Battalion was also formed in December of the same year. However, neither unit saw combat, due to the US Army's lack of interest in using them in an airborne capacity. The 151st Airborne Tank Company remained in the United States, shuttling from base to base throughout the war, and the 28th Airborne Tank Battalion was refitted with conventional tanks in October 1944.[16] Some 25 Locusts were ordered in April 1944 for use in the European Theater of Operations, and delivered by September; although a small number were sent to the United States Sixth Army Group in Alsace, France, for testing, they were never used in combat.[17] However, the British still required the M22 as a replacement for the Tetrarch and the first prototype Locust was shipped to Britain in May 1942 for testing, followed by the second prototype T9E1 in July 1943.[18]

-------------

So, they had planned to equip the battalion with M-22 Locust tanks for airborne operations.

Probably couldn't deploy them because the big parachutes kept disappearing to make nylon stockings for the unit's favourite girls ...

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 12
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/20/2019 9:18:02 PM   
jdsrae

With a land rating of 34, LTC Greenbaum’s classmates are still gobsmacked that he was ever promoted LTC and appointed to command a Regt

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no CrackSabbath): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 13
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/21/2019 4:18:46 AM   
RangerJoe

A simple answer would be to use gliders even though they don't seem to appear in the game.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 14
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/21/2019 8:47:29 AM   
Balou

Never thought about this one. Why no gliders in WitP-AE ?

“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 15
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/21/2019 8:51:42 AM   
Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Probably couldn't deploy them because the big parachutes kept disappearing to make nylon stockings for the unit's favourite girls ...

Did not that generation of 'chutes come with silk canopies...? Night gowns, then.....

Fred

< Message edited by Leandros -- 4/21/2019 8:52:47 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 16
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/21/2019 10:10:37 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

With a land rating of 34, LTC Greenbaum’s classmates are still gobsmacked that he was ever promoted LTC and appointed to command a Regt

He is obviously one commander I managed to overlook. Gotta be a few thousand more like him.

Hans

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 17
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/21/2019 10:13:29 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uncivil Engineer

quote:

Just a minor quibble - that picture is NOT a 75 mm pack howitzer, in fact it looks a lot bigger than 105 mm.

As Dili pointed out, the images are generic to unit type. The tank picture isn't M5 Stuarts either.

Hans

(in reply to Uncivil Engineer)
Post #: 18
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/21/2019 11:44:22 AM   
HansBolter

The M7 Priests in the tank battalion were not able to be airlifted and are now aboard LSTs to be taken in over the beach.

It finally dawned on me that Kurume has a an open water hexside with a functioning port and since I have command of the local seas I don't really need to keep airlifting stuff in. I've also loaded the 13th Australian Brigades artillery and motorized support on landing craft to be taken in. The 475th Regiment (Merrill's Marauders) and the 13th Aussie Brigade were the only non-airborne units air lifted in. While not a para unit the 475th is light and completely air transportable.

The eastern hexside of Kurume is green as I took the unoccupied hex by air assault and the Japanese units now contesting the hex moved down from Fukuoka. I'm now sea lifting in some heavy ground units to strengthen the hex enough to be able to spare some units to expand to the east and break the road between Fukuoka and Oita.

Yesteray's attack by the Marines at Kumamoto dropped the forts to level 3. The 4th Marine Division is almost done loading at Saishu To and is headed in to Kumamoto to bring the force there to a point where it can take the base.

First attack by the Army at Kanoya came off at 4-1 and dropped forts to 8 with manageable casualties.

All told, the invasion of Kyushu is on track for success.

Attachment (1)

Hans

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 19
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/21/2019 12:58:40 PM   
dwesolick

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

He is obviously one commander I managed to overlook. Gotta be a few thousand more like him.

Some of these ratings are pretty funny. I have a sub commander whose leadership rating is in the low 30s but his inspiration rating is in the high 70s.
"Yes, our skipper is a sucky leader, but he's inspiring as hell!"

"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 20
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/21/2019 3:21:34 PM   
Dili

I don't think it is funny, it is realistic. Actually i think having clear - so not partially obscured - ratings and that almost setting in stone is what is not realistic. Many great historical commanders made bad choices of their subordinates. Here we know pretty much what each the value of each commander, that is not what reality tell us. Those rating values, some be a range and some obscured.

Napolean once told he choose his commanders by how lucky they were making the point that the timing and situation many times meant the winner.

< Message edited by Dili -- 4/21/2019 3:22:35 PM >

(in reply to dwesolick)
Post #: 21
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/21/2019 3:53:45 PM   
Bearcat2

The US plan for the M-22 tank was for it to be carried underneath a C-54 with the turret removed and inside the plane. The British were able to put them inside a Hamilcar glider.

< Message edited by Bearcat2 -- 4/21/2019 4:22:20 PM >

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 22
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/21/2019 4:27:41 PM   
BBfanboy

Hans, Kurume is an odd base in that it has two approaches to the port - one from SW past Kumamoto and the other from NW past Iki Shima. That can cause issues if you set a TF to return to base after unloading and it happens to plot the NW path. Iki Shima has a naval fort and perhaps other reinforcement CD units that need to be suppressed.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 23
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/22/2019 12:25:08 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Hans, Kurume is an odd base in that it has two approaches to the port - one from SW past Kumamoto and the other from NW past Iki Shima. That can cause issues if you set a TF to return to base after unloading and it happens to plot the NW path. Iki Shima has a naval fort and perhaps other reinforcement CD units that need to be suppressed.

Thanks for the heads up, but I recently cleared Iki Shima so no worries there. I control all of the barrier islands except Tshushima. Its next on the list and will open the route into the Sea of Nippon although there is little there to go after.

The Russians are railing three full armies into Heijo and the two bases to the west of it while a fourth just took Genzan.
The siege of Keijo will start within a week and the lower peninsula will be overrun shortly. The Russians will pretty much be out of work by '46 and will take vacation for the last three months of the war while the Western Allies slug their way through the HI.

Will give me an opportunity to see if its possible to sealift some of those awesome Mech Corps over to the HI.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 4/22/2019 12:27:23 PM >

Hans

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 24
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/22/2019 3:30:54 PM   
BBfanboy

You probably don't want the Russians to take any Japanese HI bases/cities for historic reasons which I do agree would be unrealistic. After the war in the ETO finished it was clear the Soviets would hold on to their conquests rather than give them freedom to self-govern.
However, the Soviet artillery and tanks can be extremely helpful and since a US unit will always be first in any stack that has them, it will determine ownership of the newly conquered base. So I would just make sure that the Russian infantry were doing mop-up and garrison and that a good US unit was in any stack that included Russian tanks or arty.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 25
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/22/2019 5:22:00 PM   
HansBolter

I haven't been too particular about who gets control. There are several bases in western Manchkuo that are American controlled because I sent a small contingent of American and Brits to join in on the Chinese invasion.

The Chinese have control of one of the north western bases in Manchuko on the rail line from Russia because they infiltrated all the way over there before the Soviets activated.

I have an American/British/Chinese stack sieging Port Arthur, but they don't have the required combat engineers to reduce the forts so I am sending a Soviet Sapper to join in. No telling who will get control of that one.

And I airdropped a Soviet para unit on the unoccupied island east of the Korean peninsula, Ulleungdo, I believe.

Haven't seen anything larger than a subchaser since I arrived on station at Kyushu. I believe the AI has some carriers left.
I purposely did not go after cripples during the last carrier battles in the Marianas in late '44, but haven't seen any since.

Hans

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 26
RE: Late War Airlift Capability - 4/23/2019 12:55:17 AM   
BBfanboy

If you still have US units at Port Arthur when it falls, the base will belong to whatever Command HQ the US unit is under.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Late War Airlift Capability Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI