Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Victory conditions must be reforged

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Victory conditions must be reforged Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Victory conditions must be reforged - 4/18/2019 4:50:09 PM   
nukkxx5058

Hi there. I love the game but seriously, for the next game , i.e. Southern Storm, Victory conditions must be totally changed. It's simply too frustrating now. Sudden death really sucks (particularly in PBEM), regardless you are wining or losing. Hope you guys can figure out a way to improve it. It's a must !
Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Victory conditions must be reforged - 4/18/2019 4:54:27 PM   
nukkxx5058

The problem is that when sudden death is triggered, you almost always have the impression that the game didn't finish (and sometime that it even didn't really start !!)! Hence the frustration.

Please guys, find a way ! Such a great game ...

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 2
RE: Victory conditions must be reforged - 4/18/2019 5:06:29 PM   
mirrorshades

I don't know about PBEM, but at least vs the AI you have the option to continue the game after the sudden death trigger if you like. I've done this on some occasions where the current victory was marginal or tactical, but I know within a short time I'd be in a great position to bump that up. Of course, once you continue, you have to play the scenario out to the bitter end time-wise (so things may swing back in the enemy's favor if you're not careful).

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 3
RE: Victory conditions must be reforged - 4/18/2019 5:12:22 PM   
ComOxLoSxNinoS

It would be nice to have the option to force the game to play until the end but it should be an option that is agreed upon before the start of the game, just like the 'allow past sudden death' option is.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 4
RE: Victory conditions must be reforged - 4/18/2019 5:26:36 PM   
CapnDarwin

Adding a PBEM option to continue past SD is a good idea and we can look at it for Southern Storm. We have discussed internally some changes to scenario objectives and force levels to replace the straight VP calculations. We are looking at have a more mission oriented approach to victory so we can have more options than score more points. Plus we would like to be able to have scenarios where the objective is different for each side/player. This would give us many more ways to craft a scenario.

Drop in your ideas here as well.

Work on Southern Storm continues and we will hopefully have news about our new website and even whispers of Beta Testing soon!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to ComOxLoSxNinoS)
Post #: 5
RE: Victory conditions must be reforged - 4/18/2019 6:48:22 PM   
mirrorshades

It always feels a little game-y to me when I can pop a recon unit waaaaay back behind the enemy and just "touch" the VP hexes to boost my score, then have them scoot away. Obviously, they can just send another unit to go get them back, and I'll lose them at endgame if they have more units in the area, but I've also used that technique to turn a draw into a marginal victory, for example. (Not proud of that, but hey, war is hell.) I think the genesis of VP hexes (in all wargames, not this one specifically) is to show that one side or the other has control of an area. I like the endgame "influence" mechanic to do away with some of this, but maybe a different type of VP hex would only count towards the army that is in the hex at a specific time? It could be "contested" if nobody is in the hex, or if both sides are still duking it out at endgame.

Also would be interesting to have a time-based relevance for VP locations. Maybe "Capture hex 0123 before 1600" would get you the VPs and an extra set of reinforcements ("If you can secure that hill before dark, we can roll another tank company or some extra resupply your way")? Or a requirement to take and hold a VP hex for a certain time before VPs are awarded could also be interesting, and would require a little more pre-planning.

Could also have non-VP effects for certain hexes, though that might make some stuff on the back-end more complicated. One examples that comes to mind: designate certain high elevations as "enhanced radio coverage". If a recon unit can get to the location and remain for XX minutes, they have managed to set up a radio antenna/repeater that shortens the command cycle by X minutes.

For that matter, let recon units do some other mission-support type stuff besides just touching VP hexes and getting blown up. Maybe award some VPs every time a recon unit is the first to spot an enemy unit, but have it so that they lose some or all of them if that unit ends up getting destroyed (in addition to the normal VP loss of the unit).

How about a "victory zone"? An identified area of hexes which must contain XX% of your remaining force at endgame to receive points, though it doesn't matter specifically which ones. This provides more of an idea of control of an area.

None of the above are grounded in actual military theory or experience, so apologies to you veterans out there who are rolling your eyes at me right now. :)

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 6
RE: Victory conditions must be reforged - 4/19/2019 7:36:12 AM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComOxLoSxNinoS

It would be nice to have the option to force the game to play until the end but it should be an option that is agreed upon before the start of the game, just like the 'allow past sudden death' option is.

It's good to see that the devs are very reactive. Well, it's not new, as they are since D1. :-)

Yes, an option to force the game past SD in multi would be a good first step. This should however let the door open to unilateral resignation (when the situation seems hopeless).
Same, the resignation could be an optional rule pre-agreed between players (ie. allow resignation or not).

It's good to read CapnDarwin post and to see that the subject is seriously considered within the team.
Can't wait for FPC-SS

(in reply to ComOxLoSxNinoS)
Post #: 7
RE: Victory conditions must be reforged - 4/19/2019 4:46:11 PM   
KungPao

Wait, I thought ignore SD is an option in PBEM game?

I have an issue with current PBEM game mechanism is, anyone can end the game anytime with all current VP counted. I saw several time in PBEM game, a ceasefire enforced without my agreement. On the bright side my opponents admitted I am winning in their message :)

Hopefully in South Storm, ceasefire needs the other side's agreement by hitting cease fire too. Surrender is a separate button that will be effective immediately.

Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Victory conditions must be reforged Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI