Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/14/2019 2:00:29 PM   
Hellen_slith

Well, this was my turn to suffer the dreaded CTD ... as careful as I am about saving JIC, there I was, about 45 minutes into planning my last round of combat ... and BOOM that 45 minutes of planning just VANISHED.

Makes you want to bang your head on the desk...not to mention how it breaks your train of thought. So I went to bed, woke up refreshed, and proceeded to try try again. So, I am AGAIN planning that last round of combat and SAVING after every formation move and after any significant air or naval movement. It is a real pain in the PBEM, b/c it closes the game and you have to reload your save. In hot seat mode, it really doesn't matter, b/c the game stays open. ANYWAY:

Comrade Larry, I think that my few turns of being on the initiative have finally come to an end. Your SCUDs are really doing a number on supporting defense, and you've knocked out most of the 82d Airborne. Well played.

As for the Polish disaffection: May I suggest (in lieu of disbanding those units) that in exchange for keeping the Poles on the board there in Europe per se, you retreat the Pact units from Norway back to the Murmansk area, from where you can send them to Europe later via rail etc. I think that would be a fair exchange.

This, plus, I won't say anything about the Pact air defenses that have been / are being constructed in Sweden. Not sure what's up with those. Maybe some replacement / reinforcement units came in to that neutral area, but I am bit concerned about any of those units scoring objective points from their occupation of Swedish hexes. One of them is in Stockhom!! I'm not sure, but I think that may be why I seem to be getting ever farther away from even a marginal victory.

Well, while you think over my proposal re: the "Polish Disaffection", I shall continue these last few bits of battle planning here at the end of my Turn 9. Hard to believe that we're already halfway through the scene! We're coming around the bend neck and neck. This is a really fun game!

TTYS
-H-

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 121
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/14/2019 2:25:09 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: mussey

quote:

've got bad news. I was almost done with my moves when the game went CTD. I lost all that work, a couple of hours worth.

... I'm reluctant to roll out a final release until this is resolved. A new Beta should be out shortly....

Yes, I agree any final would have to have that CTD issue resolved. For us "hard core" players, we find our workarounds, like saving constantly, and I would play it regardless of the CTD issue. But for the casual and noodlers, it would be a scene killer.

Happy to test a new Beta for it. I seem to have the "magic touch" sometimes, and BOOM there it goes :) I can almost (not quite) reproduce it, but it is a time sink making it do.

Just start moving naval units long distances, embark / debark some marines for good measure, then move some air assets around long distances, scroll around the map, move some more naval and air, scroll around ... and it will CTD sooner or later.

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 122
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/14/2019 2:37:33 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

quote:

I think there are at least eight or nine separate possible insurrection events programmed for WP (if NATO lands on certain hexes), and each of those must have at least one additional event associated w/ it (

(The NATO nations do not have revolt Events, but many do have surrender events. For example if WP occupies Amsterdam there is 60% chance of surrender. If WP comes within 7 hexes of The Hague there is a 20%. There are others...)

Don't forget all the BRHD and the two or three REFORGER hexes, which, if occupied by WP unit, really puts a hurt on NATO. Esp. the REFORGER hexes. That's why you see in the maps so many of my NATO units still in the backfield.

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 123
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/14/2019 4:06:39 PM   
Hellen_slith

Here is the map after NATO turn 9:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 124
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/14/2019 11:12:28 PM   
mussey

quote:

any final would have to have that CTD issue resolved.

Absolutely. Until it is, I will release as Beta.

The next release has an enormous amount of changes, modifications, alterations, switch-backs, tweaking, and refitting that you will find more realistic and exciting. I've posted a few already in this thread (and others) so I will not repeat. But another is the Narvik card: More Vp's and Obj Value has been place here to reflect it's value as a base for the Northern Fleet. If Soviets occupy there is a 70% chance that they will bribe/coerce Sweden into allowing some supplies to transit by rail to Narvik, will loss some VP's though...

Another I'm thinking about is have Guerrillas if the WP cities are occupied by NATO. This will be harder with the new orbat that includes East German paramilitary, so I may add additional hexes/cities/towns that the WP needs to secure.

< Message edited by mussey -- 5/14/2019 11:16:10 PM >

Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

Post #: 125
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/15/2019 3:23:28 PM   
Hellen_slith

Sounds pretty sweet. And colors?
Me want colors. Can we maybe see a screenshot of some new colors?
Okay, well, thanks for such a fun scene!!

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 126
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/16/2019 3:09:05 AM   
mussey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hellen_slith

Sounds pretty sweet. And colors?
Me want colors. Can we maybe see a screenshot of some new colors?
Okay, well, thanks for such a fun scene!!

We keep the girls under wraps until the night of the show.

< Message edited by mussey -- 5/16/2019 2:12:36 PM >

Col. Mussbu

Post #: 127
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/17/2019 2:28:22 PM   
Hellen_slith

Well, once again, in the midst of my move 10, I was struck by The Shadow CTD.

I was about 50 minutes into moving my units, planning that first round of combat, and unforch had not thought to make a save yet (I had not been making any big air or naval moves, so I thought I was "safe") ... BOOM ctd.

Another 45 minutes gone. ANYWAY, that made me think, I was just wondering ...

If we were playing this game on the server thing, and it CTD like that, would the server retain the movements and planning that had already been done?

If so, it would be one way to work around the issue. If not ... this CTD issue is a real scene killer, man.

<SIGH>
Well, back to the drawing board!!

Post #: 128
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/17/2019 4:51:33 PM   
Hellen_slith

A thought here, during my inter-turn:

The Swedish neutrality issue (and all of the objective points held by Pact there) should be looked at, b/c this last turn a Pact air defense unit (a SOV KGB unit, no doubt) constructed itself in Stockholm via replacement or reinforcement. Which really isn't much of a concern militarily to NATO/UN , but it just feels thorny from an aesthetic standpoint. I mean, Swedes are either nuetral or not, right? So I sent a small Danish contingent to port nearby, hoping to talk things out with them there Swedes.

Otherwise: the Pact seems to be in shock. First the EG, then the Czech penalty shock for counter-insurrection, and now the Poles are disaffecting. Even so, my initiative seems to be slipping. This is a very hard game to win as NATO.

This is not due to any brilliancies on my part, nor is it due to any Pact weaknesses (thus no need to further reinforce KMS corridor) ... rather it was simply my luck that, IMHO, Pact made some strategic blunders from the very first:

1) Sending valuable resources to Norway. Should have been sent to Hamburg.

2) whilst also opening the front in Austria. Austria is a wash. Better to focus on a thrust via Fulda Gap / Hamburg, and save taking Austria until turn 6 or so as Pact.

Well, I can't help but say that I am surprised that I have done so well in this game against Larry. He is a TOUGH player. He's got some tricks that I *still* have not figured out how to counter. It will be tough for me to re-take Hamburg, and I doubt that I can take Berlin back, but...a guy can dream, right?

H

Post #: 129
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/17/2019 5:14:25 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

The Swedish neutrality issue (and all of the objective points held by Pact there) should be looked at, b/c this last turn a Pact air defense unit (a SOV KGB unit, no doubt) constructed itself in Stockholm via replacement or reinforcement. Which really isn't much of a concern militarily to NATO/UN , but it just feels thorny from an aesthetic standpoint. I mean, Swedes are either nuetral or not, right? So I sent a small Danish contingent to port nearby, hoping to talk things out with them there Swedes.

Otherwise: the Pact seems to be in shock. First the EG, then the Czech penalty shock for counter-insurrection, and now the Poles are disaffecting. Even so, my initiative seems to be slipping. This is a very hard game to win as NATO.

This is not due to any brilliancies on my part, nor is it due to any Pact weaknesses (thus no need to further reinforce KMS corridor) ... rather it was simply my luck that, IMHO, Pact made some strategic blunders from the very first:

2) whilst also opening the front in Austria. Austria is a wash. Better to focus on a thrust via Fulda Gap / Hamburg, and save taking Austria until turn 6 or so as Pact.

Well, I can't help but say that I am surprised that I have done so well in this game against Larry. He is a TOUGH player. He's got some tricks that I *still* have not figured out how to counter. It will be tough for me to re-take Hamburg, and I doubt that I can take Berlin back, but...a guy can dream, right?

H

First of all thanks for your kind words. And second let me say that I agree with your assessment and your prognosis. My advance has stalled and I find myself defending all along the lines. My losses are rising and I'm going to have to quit using my aircraft on direct attacks....the losses are too high. The reinforcements from Moscow arrived in the nick of time or my lines would be moving backward now. I'm wondering if I'll be able to hold what I have already. This is a pretty good game.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 5/17/2019 5:15:06 PM >

you can't get off unless you cough.

Post #: 130
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/17/2019 5:59:44 PM   
Hellen_slith

PS: I note, that re: the Victory Point conditions for victory, I continue to incur heavy losses. It may seem from looking at the board, that I am winning handily ... while in reality, I am now about 800 points from even a marginal victory. A draw seems most likely, but I will push NATO to take every advantage. Sweden plays large in that plan ... I need every point I can get. Tough scene to win as NATO.

Post #: 131
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/17/2019 6:16:07 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

H

First of all thanks for your kind words. I'm going to have to quit using my aircraft on direct attacks....the losses are too high.

The reinforcements from Moscow arrived in the nick of time or my lines would be moving backward now. I'm wondering if I'll be able to hold what I have already. This is a pretty good game.

Well, I gotta tell you, Comrade Larry, those Pact interdiction air strikes you've set up were REALLY getting on my nerves these past nine turns, man, how do you DO that? I was like, "Can't Move ... Aircraft" with a lot of my units. So I elected to start scrambling SPAAG and I put all my fighters on alert, even if only one plane left. I think I might have finally gained a bit of AS, not sure ... I see I managed to move your air guys back a bit, naval bombard on airfields is brutal. Current computer tape says my AS is 52, yours 47 as of my move 10 combat round 1.

Current tally this NATO turn mid-10 is: Sovs 152 damaged/destroyed NATO 47 (so I'm running a good three to one shooting those guys down now.) I finally had the courage to look at my total losses ... I am a lot thinner that I look. Need that 101st Airborne, they not dropping. So, that's going to be a strategic decision for me to handle the unexpected absence of the Screaming Eagles. I was really counting on them.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 132
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/17/2019 7:46:05 PM   
larryfulkerson

Actually this is a really good way to get the INT attenuated quickly. Just move your AA assets so that it gets intercepted a lot. The aircraft are attacking anti-air equipment, at low altitude, at a relatively slow speed and that's a really dangerous thing to do.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 5/17/2019 7:48:16 PM >

Post #: 133
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/17/2019 8:03:53 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Just move your AA assets so that it gets intercepted a lot. The aircraft are attacking anti-air equipment, at low altitude, at a relatively slow speed and that's a really dangerous thing to do.

Yes, in this move I am doing, I attached some SPAAG to a rail unit. Not sure if that helped, but I have found that moving around AA does have some effect.

Problem is, when I move the AA, your flights stand off. Only when I make a infantry / armor move, they swoop in to interdict.

<shakes tiny fist at computer>

I'll figure this out yet!!!

As you know, I have opened a gash there around Hamburg / North of Fulda. Trying to take advantage of that, but ... those last few divisions I need to clean up are slowing me down.

Ok, well, back to the board!!!
D

Post #: 134
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/17/2019 9:05:36 PM   
Hellen_slith

Here is the map as of end of NATO 10:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 135
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/17/2019 10:37:50 PM   
Hellen_slith

Czechs s/b blue background and white in the middle.

French s/b blue background w/ red in the middle.

Polish are too much like US right now...they should be
like, Pink background, and white in the middle.

I really really want to see the new colors. EG are black now, that cool. I like that.

But when the next Beta? Can't wait!!

I mean, seriously, I cannot wait. My leg been acting up, and my knee swelled up like a cantaloupe the other day.

I was laid UP, man, and it would've been sweet to see the next pass.

Ok, well, I am too begging now, Sir, but this is really a great scene.

Looking forward to the next pass!!

Post #: 136
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/18/2019 2:32:42 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the front lines in T11 and Damon has gotten some units into my backfield again and I'm having to scramble to contain the damage and maybe corner the enemy units. The reinforcements from Moscow are helping out a lot. I'm not sure but I think I might be able to hold on to the positions I have now. Maybe make some progress in my advance somewhere. I'm using my SSM's on his airfields and his SSM units if I can find them. I'm going to use the SSM's against his ships just to see what kind of damage it will do against a ship.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 137
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/20/2019 12:30:56 PM   
Hellen_slith

Here is the map after NATO 11.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 138
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/25/2019 6:39:35 PM   
Hellen_slith

Situation Nord:

I have managed to get back into Kiel, and finally punched another hole to get more Brits into the backfield (but then ... I had a CTD ... ARGH!!!!) So now, I have to do all that AGAIN, but here is the action up north around Hamburg. Larry is worrying me down South in Italy, so ... fair play to keep worrying him up North :) I am striving to cut off supply to Hamburg. And retake the "Suez Canal" of course :) Here is mid-turn of NATO 13. Only five or six more moves left ...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 139
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/26/2019 8:51:40 PM   
larryfulkerson

Damon got some of his units into my backfield again and so I'm back to a two-front war again. I've been pushing hard and my units are worn down and now they don't have sufficient juice to make any headway. My advance has stalled and I'm not sure I can get it going again. There aren't going to be any reinforcements to speak of so what I've got right now is going to be it for the duration. I'll see what I can do to spice up this conflict.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 140
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/26/2019 11:01:49 PM   
larryfulkerson

I was expecting supply problems in Italy but I've checked out the supply bubble numbers and they look just fine for further operations. So I'm driving the boys west as fast as they can go considering the resistance so far. I'm wondering if the troops on the far lower left are in reorg or something....they haven't moved lately and I'm wondering why. They could be building an MLR or something.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 141
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/27/2019 1:29:57 AM   
mussey

Those Mad Hungarians are in the forefront. Drive on!

Col. Mussbu

Post #: 142
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/27/2019 4:32:40 PM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Damon and you can see how he has made several inroads, penetrations of my front lines and has landed several units in my backfield again. I'm going to have to really think about this situation to see if I can salvage anything. This is a pretty good game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 143
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/27/2019 11:54:54 PM   
Hellen_slith

Yes, interesting indeed! Next War is a dynamic scenario in that it can go so many different ways, with all the different events that are built in.

Couple thoughts as we are nearing the finish line:

I read today on some old TOAW blog that "Victory Points don't matter until the end." For me as NATO in this game, I tried valiantly to get enough VP to get beyond a draw, but NATO has just too much of a hard time of it, even w/ the Pact surrenders that happened. What I really need now is to get into Praha to get the Magyars to surrender, but that is beyond the realm of possibility at this point.

Down south, I forgot to dig in or do anything at all w/ the Italians on my turn 13 ... my mistake. Easy to forget those guys b/c of the focus on WG map. I'm not sure what the conditions are for an Italian surrender (occupation of Turin, maybe, for a dice roll?) but, in the spirit of beta testing, I would like to see the effects of an Italian surrender (e.g., just to make sure the Italians are withdrawn, and not the French LoL!!) if you get into Turin or whichever hex it is that triggers that event.

Another observation: seems like, b/c I managed to keep Pact to the East far enough and long enough, some events that should have triggered more NATO reinforcements seemed not to happen for me. That is, seems like if NATO keeps Pact at bay and far enough to the east, then NATO does not get some reinforcements. Some formations I sorely missed that I saw come into play in the Hot Seat Austrian play I did prior to this go:

more US Marines (beyond that 2d Marine that I do have), and

the US 101 Air Assault did not deploy ... I *really* could have used those guys in this play, and was counting on them from about turn 8, but ... they still have not shown up.

Seems like a double-edged sword in this one if NATO does even marginally well, then NATO reinforcements get ham strung. Which is OK, but only if it does not overbalance too much toward Pact.

Geting back to that adage about "VP do not count until the end of the game ... " I can foresee perhaps a way to "game" the NATO reinforcement schedule by keeping Pact back while it builds up steam with its (already) massive SSR districts, then going for a final blitz push in the last few turns with all its got.

That's a fair strategy, but (IMHO) might put NATO at too much of a disadvantage. Perhaps a timer also might alleviate that a bit, e.g., even if Event X does not trigger 101st Airborne, then timer triggers their deployment by turn 12 or 13? Just brainstorming, but I thought it might be worth considering.

Anyway, Comrade Larry: I am hard pressed to bring any more troops to Munich or Italy. I am beginning to think those areas are going to turn the tide in your favor. You are much closer to victory than I am at this point.

With only a few turns left, and being now in such dire straits, I may have to consider Operation Unthinkable (j/k :) that would cost me 100VP and those, I cannot spare. I thought that around turn 8 or so, I would have an easy victory, but you have shown that NATO has a much harder row to hoe than I thought.

Well played!!!

Post #: 144
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/28/2019 11:23:25 AM   
mussey

quote:

Italian surrender (occupation of Turin, maybe, for a dice roll?) but, in the spirit of beta testing, I would like to see the effects of an Italian surrender (e.g., just to make sure the Italians are withdrawn,

The key to a possible Italian surrender is Milan, 50% chance.

The only Events that affect NATO reinforcements are the Battle of the Atlantic. On the first turn of war there are odds of 1) no NATO reinforcements (by sea transport), 2) 2-week delay, 3) 1-week delay, 4) no delay. This should be in your News Summary. US land units arriving by sea deploy much later and are affected by this. Check your OOB and see when they arrive, let me know if this is broken. [The next Beta will add several Natl Gd units, and the 12th USAF of 485 aircraft. Also several UK home defense bdes].

The Soviet Military Districts of Kiev and Odessa, most probably would have deployed against Greece and Turkey via Bulgaria, which is not included in this scenario. In a two-player game I think these should be negotiated as to whether they should be allowed to be used. [In a future Beta, I may tie them to VP's].

[Also in the next Beta, increased Objective Values and VP's for Norway, reflecting the importance their ports/bases would have been to their Northern Fleet, ie Narvik. In the south, the possibility that Yugoslavia will join the Warsaw Pact.]

< Message edited by mussey -- 5/28/2019 11:32:13 AM >

Col. Mussbu

Post #: 145
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/29/2019 3:23:38 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

quote:

Italian surrender (occupation of Turin, maybe, for a dice roll?) but, in the spirit of beta testing, I would like to see the effects of an Italian surrender (e.g., just to make sure the Italians are withdrawn,

The key to a possible Italian surrender is Milan, 50% chance.

The only Events that affect NATO reinforcements are the Battle of the Atlantic....

There are also other events that can affect NATO reinforcements ... off the top of my head, I know that Pact occupation of certain REFORGER hexes will delay or prevent NATO US reinforcements. Can't remember which hexes they are, I would have to check.

Also, in the NATO orbat, there are units whose appearance seem to be determined by "event?" (at least that's what I'm seeing for some formations). I'm not at my TOAW computer, can't check at the moment, but that's why I was wondering if Pact has to move farther west to trigger some of those. Not sure. I'm probably wrong about that, I haven't dug deep enough into it, but it does say in some formations that "event?" is waiting to happen for them to show up.

Will post a screen shot of what I'm seeing in that regard.

Anyway, glad to see Yugoslavia will be a part of it. Will the map be expanded more? This is really a fun scene! Ok, well, back to the board!

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 146
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/29/2019 7:13:02 PM   
Hellen_slith

Thoughts from the finish line (under tornado warning here ATM, so briefly:)

Perhaps I should surrender Munich, and use these last few moves to rail the Italians back to Italy?

What a game. Comrade Larry has firmly seized the initiative now, and NATO has shot its bolt.

Looking forward to the finish! Hopefully, I can still hold the draw (although I would like to see a victory screen, and not a draw screen, whether for Pact or NATO.)

Another reason to push the game beyond 17 combat turns? Ok, well, we shall see!!
H

Post #: 147
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/29/2019 9:06:49 PM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Damon and I've cleared out most of the backfield troubles and the press is on again to the west. There are spots that I feel are weaker than other spots and I just need to find them and press hard at that spot. I'm thinking of massing the arty to one spot and really just bombard my way forward. I'm looking at the front lines and I think maybe the best thing would be to press near the middle to see if I can't break a hole there and roll up the NATO lines north and south. It's worth a try. I've had a look at the reports for this turn and I think it's 20 turns remaining. I could be wrong.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 148
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/29/2019 9:45:46 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a closeup of the area SW of Berlin. I'm seeing all these stacks of NATO units when most of the units holding my side of the front lines are single-unit stacks, mostly armour or motorized. The supply level is outstanding despite all the broken bridges. Damon has a lot of arty backing up his troops and I see more than one HQ unit right up at the front. I'll attack those hexes first, to see if I can't drive that entire formation into reorg. I've been doing three-dot attacks to get enough juice to move the NATO unit(a) out of the hex. I think I can afford the losses.

I've moved about 20% of the units so far. I'm not getting very many RBC's. I don't think I have enough units to surround a very large group of NATO units, but I would like to get a probe started somewhere. I need to find his weak spot(s). I've got some units trapped behind Damon's lines and they are running really low on supply and their proficiency is dropping.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 5/29/2019 9:46:59 PM >

Post #: 149
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/29/2019 10:45:29 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is a spot in the Wurzburg area and I've just noticed by accident that my polish paratroopers can be replaced in the front lines, can move to the airfield occupied by the HQ of the paratroopers, and be ready to drop in an LZ somewhere in Damon's backfield. Maybe drop some bridges and convert the rail to friendly just so he has to repair it to use it again. All the Polish paratroopers are expendable and they know it. I'm wondering if I can't just set up a strong point somewhere in Damon's backfield that would be difficult to dislodge. Italy Is in the final stages of falling....I could drop the Polish paratroopers in Italy to accellerate the takedown. And then head toward France.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI