Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to increase resupply rate

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> How to increase resupply rate Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to increase resupply rate - 4/6/2019 5:09:27 PM   
newbie123

Sorry guys, i dont really get the manual. I know you must have the HQ next to your unit for it to resupply fully and your unit must be able to trace a 'line of communication' to a supply source. So my questions are:

1. As an example, i have an artillery unit that is like 5, 6 hexes away from the HQ. Everytime the supply will be around 9 to 20 percent. I use it to bombard an enemy location 3 times every turn. So how do i actually get the resupply rate to increase?

2. What is a line of communication? Is it the supply number on each hex? The manual doesnt really claerly state it

3. What is a support unit? The manual says support units can boost supply redistribution capabilities. Are they like the trucks?

4. How do you cut the enemy supply? I know the manual says taking over a nearby enemy supply source can reduce the unit supply. But do getting behind the enemy so as to act like a barrier between the single enemy unit and the units behind cut their supply?

5. What other supply sources are there other than HQ, cities, and ports?

THANKS GUYS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO HELP ME. I WOULDNT HAVE COME HERE IF I UNDERSTOOD THE MANUAL
Post #: 1
RE: How to increase resupply rate - 4/6/2019 6:42:34 PM   
mrblonde1

I can add one question regarding supply. If the enemy capture hex with my supply source, it will be lost permanently or I can retake the hex later and use it as supply source again?

(in reply to newbie123)
Post #: 2
RE: How to increase resupply rate - 4/6/2019 7:01:58 PM   
mrblonde1

newbie123

1. I think shooting and moving consumes supplies, maybe do not bombard them so much:)

2, 4. A Line of Communication is a path from one location to another. Lines of Communication are blocked by enemy units, locations adjacent to enemies and not occupied by friendly units, nonRoad Badlands terrain, non-Road Dunes terrain, or terrain that cannot be entered by a normal Land unit. A unit without a line of communication is marked as Unsupplied. As a general case, in order to receive resupply, units must be able to trace a Line of Communication back to a friendly Supply Source.

3. Supply Units – Increases the Supply Level in each supplied location that can trace a path no longer than the Supply Radius to the Supply unit. Additionally, Supply units multiply supply distribution to adjacent Cooperative units by 1.5. There is no effect on Unsupplied locations.

5. Check the buttons panel on the right side, MAP section and choose option sources like on the screenshot. You will see supply sources for scenario.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mrblonde1)
Post #: 3
RE: How to increase resupply rate - 4/6/2019 7:09:57 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: newbie123

Sorry guys, i dont really get the manual. I know you must have the HQ next to your unit for it to resupply fully and your unit must be able to trace a 'line of communication' to a supply source. So my questions are:

1. As an example, i have an artillery unit that is like 5, 6 hexes away from the HQ. Everytime the supply will be around 9 to 20 percent. I use it to bombard an enemy location 3 times every turn. So how do i actually get the resupply rate to increase?

You can move the HQ adjacent to the artillery (provided it is cooperative). If you have a cooperative Supply Unit available, you can move it adjacent as well. You can rest the artillery (no movement or combat), allowing it to resupply quicker. Otherwise, you must increase the location supply values. This is done by improving the supply net. This can be done in various ways. One is to shorten the line of communication (removing blocking enemies and repairing bridges, etc.). Another is to advance the supply source closer (usually this means rail repair, but it could mean capturing closer supply sources). Finally, a Supply Unit can enhance location supply if available.

quote:

2. What is a line of communication? Is it the supply number on each hex? The manual doesnt really claerly state it

Yes it does. See 9.1.7.

quote:

3. What is a support unit? The manual says support units can boost supply redistribution capabilities. Are they like the trucks?

Supply Unit, not support unit (that's something else). A supply unit is any unit with the Supply Unit Icon. (See 16.1)

quote:

4. How do you cut the enemy supply? I know the manual says taking over a nearby enemy supply source can reduce the unit supply. But do getting behind the enemy so as to act like a barrier between the single enemy unit and the units behind cut their supply?

Again, see 9.1.7.

quote:

5. What other supply sources are there other than HQ, cities, and ports?

Those are NOT supply sources. Only Supply Points and repaired rail lines that connect to Supply Points are supply sources. Adjacent cooperative HQs can enhance supply (if it is already available via some other source). Cities and Ports have nothing to do with supply (unless the designer has placed a supply point there).

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to newbie123)
Post #: 4
RE: How to increase resupply rate - 4/6/2019 7:11:34 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: mrblonde1

I can add one question regarding supply. If the enemy capture hex with my supply source, it will be lost permanently or I can retake the hex later and use it as supply source again?

Retaking restores the supply - unless the designer has an event to remove it upon recapture.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to mrblonde1)
Post #: 5
RE: How to increase resupply rate - 4/6/2019 7:19:41 PM   
mrblonde1

Thank you.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 6
RE: How to increase resupply rate - 4/6/2019 7:25:05 PM   
sPzAbt653

A quick and fun video that may answer some of your questions!

TOAW Tutorial - Supply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhVdL9ukZa8

(in reply to newbie123)
Post #: 7
RE: How to increase resupply rate - 4/7/2019 6:55:26 AM   
newbie123

I still cant find the supply unit icon in 16.1. What is a support unit anyway? I read that it is very important to the HQ.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 8
RE: How to increase resupply rate - 4/7/2019 7:21:57 AM   
cathar1244

quote:

I still cant find the supply unit icon in 16.1. What is a support unit anyway? I read that it is very important to the HQ.

By "support", I think what is meant is the presence of support squads in the HQ unit. If a HQ has an allocation of support squads in the scenario, there has to be a specific number of support squads (depending on the HQ level -- division, army, etc.) for functions like supply distribution to work at 100% efficiency.

This is the icon for a supply unit.

Cheers

(in reply to newbie123)
Post #: 9
RE: How to increase resupply rate - 4/7/2019 2:04:17 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

I still cant find the supply unit icon in 16.1.

See attached.

quote:

What is a support unit anyway?

Any ranged combat unit (Artillery, Ship, Aircraft).

quote:

I read that it is very important to the HQ.

No. That is a Support Squad. Completely different.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 4/7/2019 2:17:19 PM >

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to newbie123)
Post #: 10
RE: How to increase resupply rate - 4/7/2019 9:29:26 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: cathar1244

quote:

By "support", I think what is meant is the presence of support squads in the HQ unit. If a HQ has an allocation of support squads in the scenario, there has to be a specific number of support squads (depending on the HQ level -- division, army, etc.) for functions like supply distribution to work at 100% efficiency.

This is the icon for a supply unit.

Cheers

Suggest that the icon for supply unit/depot be revised in order to depict the icon as shown in paragraph 16.1. Below is my modification.

Regards, RhinoBones

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 11
RE: How to increase resupply rate - 4/12/2019 3:26:25 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

Suggest that the icon for supply unit/depot be revised

I agree, but when I went to do that, what I see in the graphics is attached below, which means that the circle should not be seen in game as being solid. So I am looking in the wrong place, can you point me in the right direction ?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sPzAbt653 -- 4/12/2019 3:29:17 AM >

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 12
RE: How to increase resupply rate - 4/12/2019 3:27:19 PM   
rhinobones

The stock TOAW unit matrix is a bit deceptive. The white portion needs to be transparent so that the base color shows through (upper graphic). You can make the mod yourself or I can send you the files to cut & paste.

Regards, RhinoBones

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 13
RE: How to increase resupply rate - 4/12/2019 4:00:05 PM   
sPzAbt653

AHAH! My not-so-eagle-eye missed that detail! Thanks very much!!

Players - Grab this file and unzip it to 'Program Files (x86) > Matrix Games > The Operational Art of War IV > graphics', let it overwrite the original. Alternately, if you don't like overwriting originals, unzip to 'Documents/My Games/The Operational Art of War IV/Graphics Override'. In this case, there should be no previous file of the same name in the location so it will not ask you to overwrite, it will just install. If it does ask you to overwrite, then you must have added a custom icon file at some point, so you should stop and check to see what is going on before you decide.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sPzAbt653 -- 4/12/2019 4:30:50 PM >

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 14
RE: How to increase resupply rate - 4/12/2019 4:42:51 PM   
76mm

Looks good--does this file go in the graphics override folder?

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 15
RE: How to increase resupply rate - 4/12/2019 5:18:52 PM   
sPzAbt653

It can, I edited the above post to include the Install Instructions

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 16
RE: How to increase resupply rate - 4/12/2019 5:37:12 PM   
76mm

Thanks!

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 17
RE: How to increase resupply rate - 4/12/2019 8:45:49 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

AHAH! My not-so-eagle-eye missed that detail! Thanks very much!!

Players - Grab this file and unzip it to 'Program Files (x86) > Matrix Games > The Operational Art of War IV > graphics', let it overwrite the original. Alternately, if you don't like overwriting originals, unzip to 'Documents/My Games/The Operational Art of War IV/Graphics Override'. In this case, there should be no previous file of the same name in the location so it will not ask you to overwrite, it will just install. If it does ask you to overwrite, then you must have added a custom icon file at some point, so you should stop and check to see what is going on before you decide.

You work fast, very nice. Do you intend on making the same mod for the s_CounterUnits?

Regards

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 18
RE: How to increase resupply rate - 4/12/2019 11:29:47 PM   
sPzAbt653

'S' looks already normal to me, in game and in the file, and in the shot you just posted I think you can see that it is transparent where it needs to be. What do you think ?

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 19
RE: How to increase resupply rate - 4/13/2019 2:31:59 AM   
rhinobones

I had to go back and check the original files and I think you are correct. So . . . disregard my question.

Colin Wright:

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> How to increase resupply rate Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI