Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Equipment Categories in Editor?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Equipment Categories in Editor? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Equipment Categories in Editor? - 3/29/2019 1:52:33 PM   
76mm

I'm starting to work on Equipment for TOAWxml but could use some help with something: does anyone know which flag or field is used to divide equipment into the categories shown in the in-game editor (ie, "Infantry & Support Troops", "Guns & Mortars", "Tanks", etc.? I'd like to make use of these categories but don't see how/where the different categories of equipment are distinguished?
Post #: 1
RE: Equipment Categories in Editor? - 3/29/2019 2:21:11 PM   
cathar1244

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I'm starting to work on Equipment for TOAWxml but could use some help with something: does anyone know which flag or field is used to divide equipment into the categories shown in the in-game editor (ie, "Infantry & Support Troops", "Guns & Mortars", "Tanks", etc.? I'd like to make use of these categories but don't see how/where the different categories of equipment are distinguished?

Hi 76mm,

FLAG0 is set to a value of "1" for the category labels. My guess on how equipment type is "detected" by the game -- it looks at certain characteristics (is it armored, is it a ranged weapon, is it a low altitude aircraft etc.)

Cheers

< Message edited by cathar1244 -- 3/29/2019 2:22:54 PM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 2
RE: Equipment Categories in Editor? - 3/29/2019 2:34:07 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: cathar1244
FLAG0 is set to a value of "1" for the category labels. My guess on how equipment type is "detected" by the game -- it looks at certain characteristics (is it armored, is it a ranged weapon, is it a low altitude aircraft etc.)

Great, thanks for the info...I guess I'll have to mess around and guess about which/how other flags or other factors are used...

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 3
RE: Equipment Categories in Editor? - 3/29/2019 6:04:54 PM   
cathar1244

Flags-value of 1
0 Identifies group header (guns, tanks, etc.)
1 Can transport other equipment
2 Heavy naval vessel
3 night or all-weather capability
4 composite armor	
5 airborne equipment
6 reactive armor
7 standoff

Flags-value of 2
0 armored
1 Moves slowly without transport
2 Aircraft carrier
3 anti-shipping
4 laminate armor
5 optics 1
6 police
7 shock cavalry

Flags-value of 4
0 active defender
1 Motorized
2 Aircraft attacks at low altitude
3 fast horse
4 NBC protection
5 optics 2
6 light transport helo
7 rail repair

Flags-value of 8
0 reconnaissance
1 Helicopter Movement
2 Aircraft attacks at high altitude
3 major fording capability
4 nuclear capable
5 optics 3
6 med transport helo
7 infantry

Flags-value of 16
0 needs transport to move
1 High altitude AA weapon
2 Amphibious equipment
3 rail movement only
4 uses kinetic projectiles
5 optics 4
6 hvy transport helo
7 poor form factor

Flags-value of 32
0 engineer
1 long range equipment
2 aircraft that can operate from aircraft carriers
3 anti-shipping attacks only
4 precision guided
5 support equipment
6 agile
7 fair form factor

Flags-value of 64
0 Horses
1 light naval vessel
2 riverrine equipment
3 slow motorized equipment
4 In Flight Re-Fueling
5 command equipment
6 roadbound
7 dual purpose missiles

Flags-value of 128
0 immobile units
1 medium naval vessel
2 high/low altitude anti-air
3 fast motorized equipment
4 lightweight equipment
5 smoke equipment
6 rocket assisted projectiles (extreme range equipment)
7 torpedo

Cheers

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 4
RE: Equipment Categories in Editor? - 3/29/2019 6:32:24 PM   
76mm

Thanks, I've seen that in the eqp file, but wasn't sure how to use it...For instance, one of the categories is "Tanks", and another is "Anti-Tank Vehicles". But a cursory look at the vehicles in both categories haven't revealed which factor(s) make one a tank and another an Anti-Tank Vehicle, and some of the "Anti-Tank Vehicles" are in fact "Tanks" (Type 62, M-24, etc).

No big deal I guess, I suppose I'll figure something out.

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 5
RE: Equipment Categories in Editor? - 3/29/2019 6:55:34 PM   
cathar1244

quote:

Thanks, I've seen that in the eqp file, but wasn't sure how to use it...For instance, one of the categories is "Tanks", and another is "Anti-Tank Vehicles". But a cursory look at the vehicles in both categories haven't revealed which factor(s) make one a tank and another an Anti-Tank Vehicle, and some of the "Anti-Tank Vehicles" are in fact "Tanks" (Type 62, M-24, etc).

No big deal I guess, I suppose I'll figure something out.

I would have to look closer at it, but the game may not distinguish between those two in terms of game mechanics. That distinction in the equipment file may be there solely for the convenience of scenario designers. They are both collections of (typically) armored vehicles that employ direct fire.

Cheers

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 6
RE: Equipment Categories in Editor? - 4/11/2019 2:28:13 AM   
76mm

Having looked at this some more, I wanted to report back here that as far as I can tell, equipment is allocated to the various categories by the simple expedient of placing it between the beginning and ending tags for the relevant categories. I can't say that I confirmed this with every single piece of equipment, but I did a fair bit of spot-checking, and this is how it seems to work.

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 7
RE: Equipment Categories in Editor? - 4/11/2019 4:07:34 AM   
sPzAbt653

Not sure if I understand the question but if I do, then I would answer that the program has no idea what is what, the categories are for user organizational purposes. See the categories for the 19th Century Database below - you can name them what you want and include whatever you want in a category, makes no difference.

One thing that does seem to create problems is deleting stuff. Better to leave entries 'Empty'. Also keep in mind that there are not only several custom databases out there, but users can create their own resulting in the possibility of numerous databases with different categories and equipment. Therefore, XML Editor needs to be completely flexible

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 8
RE: Equipment Categories in Editor? - 4/11/2019 4:15:13 AM   
sPzAbt653

Here is another example of a custom database. It does look like this one eliminated some of the category slots, and it works just fine.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 9
RE: Equipment Categories in Editor? - 4/11/2019 11:09:33 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
]One thing that does seem to create problems is deleting stuff. Better to leave entries 'Empty'.

Yes, I encountered this problem when I tried to create a custom database, when I deleted entries things got all screwy. But can anyone clarify what this means? In other words, it seems that you can delete things within categories, or change categories, but the total number of entries in the database should not get smaller? Frankly kind of an odd way to do it...

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653Therefore, XML Editor needs to be completely flexible
That's the plan, although for it to be flexible, I need to understand how things work. Could you send me that last eqp file yo posted about, or tell me where it is? Between that one, the Napoleonic one, and the D21 one, I should be able to test things.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 10
RE: Equipment Categories in Editor? - 4/11/2019 3:34:28 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

when I deleted entries things got all screwy. But can anyone clarify what this means?

I can't, I've never gotten very deep into the eqp files, I've only made minor changes.

FitE2 has a more extensively modified eqp file than D21's, so it might be better to use FitE2 for tests.

Attached is what I call the 3rd Database [the one pictured in post #9], and my notes say that it is designed by: Bill Wilson (cathar1244) !! I had forgotten that, so thanks again for this Eqp file Bill

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sPzAbt653 -- 4/11/2019 3:41:18 PM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 11
RE: Equipment Categories in Editor? - 4/11/2019 5:36:31 PM   
cathar1244

Hey, you're welcome! But the DB was mainly plugging and chugging. My hat goes off to the guys like you who can craft the huge and intricately detailed scenarios. I tried that once a long time ago with "Goetterdaemmerung". Thank goodness Sylvanski took that one over.

Cheers

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 12
RE: Equipment Categories in Editor? - 4/11/2019 6:47:46 PM   
76mm

Thanks for the file Steve and Bill, and thanks for the tip on the FitE eqp file, will check it out!

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 13
RE: Equipment Categories in Editor? - 4/11/2019 8:47:05 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

the DB was mainly plugging and chugging.

I thought your organization was impressive in that it really makes it easy. We usually don't have conflicts by equipment category, we have them by country! And within each country you put 'spacers' in between the category's to make it easier to navigate once familiar with it.

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 14
RE: Equipment Categories in Editor? - 4/12/2019 7:21:05 AM   
cathar1244

It would be an interesting exercise to try to make "national" categories for the world of today. The idea for using nations came from my experience editing the OOB files for Steel Panthers -- a little bit of game cross-breeding

76mm, one item to consider regarding then number of categories. I wonder if too many categories would cause the list to have 'invisible' items if the maximum size of that display window was exceeded. I doubt the window would "whip out" a scroll bar, but I may be wrong.

Cheers

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

the DB was mainly plugging and chugging.

I thought your organization was impressive in that it really makes it easy. We usually don't have conflicts by equipment category, we have them by country! And within each country you put 'spacers' in between the category's to make it easier to navigate once familiar with it.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 15
RE: Equipment Categories in Editor? - 4/12/2019 11:21:32 AM   
76mm

quote:

76mm, one item to consider regarding then number of categories. I wonder if too many categories would cause the list to have 'invisible' items if the maximum size of that display window was exceeded. I doubt the window would "whip out" a scroll bar, but I may be wrong.

Not sure that I understand, but currently I plan to just rely on whatever categories were included in the eqp file by its creator. There shouldn't be any invisible items, because the dropdown box should be scrollable. Plus I'll make it "tall" enough to accommodate the original number of categories without scrolling.

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 16
RE: Equipment Categories in Editor? - 4/12/2019 4:34:37 PM   
cathar1244

76mm, <sigh> I'm confusing myself now. I was thinking of the box displayed by the editor native to TOAW. Sorry!

Cheers

quote:

quote:

Not sure that I understand, but currently I plan to just rely on whatever categories were included in the eqp file by its creator. There shouldn't be any invisible items, because the dropdown box should be scrollable. Plus I'll make it "tall" enough to accommodate the original number of categories without scrolling.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Equipment Categories in Editor? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI