Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

float plane tenders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> float plane tenders Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
float plane tenders - 3/29/2019 12:27:13 PM   
geofflambert

I haven't tested this or otherwise figured it out. Do float plane tenders in any way benefit land based aircraft at the same base?
Post #: 1
RE: float plane tenders - 3/29/2019 3:37:26 PM   
Lokasenna

Yes. I have used AV/AVP to support aircraft at the base. They must be disbanded in port.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 2
RE: float plane tenders - 3/29/2019 4:26:37 PM   
Admiral DadMan

No, they only benefit float planes or flying baloats

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3
RE: float plane tenders - 3/29/2019 4:53:20 PM   
jwolf

I don't know what the devs actually intended, but my experience is the same as Lokasenna's. A modest number of land based planes can indeed be supported by tenders.

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 4
RE: float plane tenders - 3/29/2019 5:23:54 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

I don't know what the devs actually intended, but my experience is the same as Lokasenna's. A modest number of land based planes can indeed be supported by tenders.

It seems to be a bug. The AV/AVP code seems full of them. However, the impact is so slight I've never brought it up. So what if you can support 6 additional planes or something? That's nothing in the scheme of things, and the effort to exploit it is rather high. You'd be better served by just going through the trouble to move real aviation support there - and you're depriving yourself of the AV/AVP's actual best use, which is to support float planes at bases without airfields.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 5
RE: float plane tenders - 3/29/2019 7:08:36 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

It seems to be a bug. The AV/AVP code seems full of them. However, the impact is so slight I've never brought it up. So what if you can support 6 additional planes or something? That's nothing in the scheme of things, and the effort to exploit it is rather high. You'd be better served by just going through the trouble to move real aviation support there - and you're depriving yourself of the AV/AVP's actual best use, which is to support float planes at bases without airfields.

Some of the big allied AVs have 24 and even 36 support which gives them more LBA AV support than most small base forces.
Could be exploited badly by sending two or three of those types to get a base up and running long before base forces could be shipped there and unloaded. Wouldn't expect most forum regulars to exploit something like that, but the bug makes it possible.

Hans

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 6
RE: float plane tenders - 3/29/2019 8:47:12 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

quote:

Some of the big allied AVs have 24 and even 36 support which gives them more LBA AV support than most small base forces.
Could be exploited badly by sending two or three of those types to get a base up and running long before base forces could be shipped there and unloaded. Wouldn't expect most forum regulars to exploit something like that, but the bug makes it possible.

I don't know if there is one that's 36, but there are at least 2 (if not 3) that provide 24. I stand by my previous statement that it's not really an effective use of them, though. Which would you rather face off against: an extra 24 AV supporting a known airfield with LBA, or 24 AV supporting Catalinas at a dot base that you're not necessarily looking closely at?

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 7
RE: float plane tenders - 3/30/2019 5:11:40 PM   
geofflambert

They could support squadrons which are merely training. Also squadrons which are set to attack but otherwise doing nothing. Kamikazes for instance. You can't build engineer units from scratch, but you can convert a lot of freighters to AVs and accomplish the same thing to some extent.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 8
RE: float plane tenders - 3/30/2019 5:38:11 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

quote:

Does not count as a bug in my view. Airframe servicing is pretty much the same for land planes and float planes - checking and repairing of engines and other moving parts, patching the holes etc. AV crew can take a trip to the runway and do their job.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9
RE: float plane tenders - 3/31/2019 12:37:27 AM   
geofflambert

They could also be used to enhance aviation companies, as opposed to full units/battalions.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 10
RE: float plane tenders - 3/31/2019 8:54:27 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

quote:

I don't know if there is one that's 36, but there are at least 2 (if not 3) that provide 24. I stand by my previous statement that it's not really an effective use of them, though. Which would you rather face off against: an extra 24 AV supporting a known airfield with LBA, or 24 AV supporting Catalinas at a dot base that you're not necessarily looking closely at?

I have 5 Curtiss class AVs with 36 support.

Wasn't and wouldn't advocate using them in the manner I described, just pointing out its possibility.

Attachment (1)

Hans

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 11
RE: float plane tenders - 4/1/2019 6:18:37 PM   
Lokasenna

Huh, I thought those were 24 and not 36.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> float plane tenders Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI