Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/22/2019

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/22/2019 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/22/2019 - 3/23/2019 2:15:53 AM   
larryfulkerson

Helen finally got his TOAW installation working and sent me his first turn moves so now it's up to me to do my T2 moves and make the move that wins the war. I'm using the broad front approach which is to invade everywhere at once. So far so good. My theater recon value is low so those Allied units can sneak up on me.

Attachment (1)

you can't get off unless you cough.
Post #: 1
RE: NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/2... - 3/23/2019 4:10:34 AM   
Hellen_slith

Thanks for the help getting it working, when it dawned on me, I was like ... DOH!!!

And here we are. I had expected to get more movement going, but I failed the "force proficiency check" after just that one flyover.

Looking forward to it!!! Thanks again!!!

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 2
RE: NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/2... - 3/24/2019 3:39:20 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the front lines in T5 and I've got enemy units in my backfield and I need to clean that up and continue the push to the west. I've moved the aircraft as far to the west as there are airfields to park the planes and I'm railing another division to the north to see if I can't get the advance to turn left and go north up the peninsula. I cleared out Berlin and the supply is flowing west just fine and the supply levels are adequate and then some. I've got some units holding bridges behind Allied front lines and they are being slowly liquidated and soon they will be gone and the Allies will repair the bridge and then their supply will be released and they will be in much better shape so I need to press as hard as is possible to see if I can't save those special forces units.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 3
RE: NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/2... - 3/24/2019 3:52:41 PM   
Hellen_slith

Combat report for Nuremberg ....

trying to make use of my air card as much as possible ... but not seeing air support here.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/2... - 3/25/2019 5:45:55 AM   
larryfulkerson

I've advanced into the low supply areas and the advance will have to pull up short and wait for the supply level to increase. I'm repairing the bridges and the rail and I expect the supply level to increase at least a little bit. If not there's going to be a problem.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
RE: NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/2... - 3/25/2019 1:02:55 PM   
Hellen_slith

It's been a hard fight trying to hold these lines. I think I've finally got my air units set to my liking. The NATO AF is helping a lot now ...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/2... - 3/25/2019 11:14:04 PM   
Hellen_slith

Here's a look at BAOR (as of turn 5 I think), currently engaged in defense of Lubeck etc. and that peninsula Larry mentioned.

At turn one, I chose to "castle queen side" w/ French forces (which released all elements of BAOR for forward action, and released Dutch / Belgian forces for rear-guard action in the North and Central.)

I managed to sneak some Danes south, too. Currently trying to tie up as many WP forces as I can around Hannover / Hamburg. So far, so good, but Larry is pushing hard in the South.

NATO owns the sky, but I am still short on combat support in the South. The Austrians have held out much longer than I expected, w/ the help of US arty. Nuremberg is now an open city, though. V Corps is going to hold the line east of the river there.

This is a fun game, not too small, not too big, lots of fire and movement. I am enjoying it very much!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 7
RE: NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/2... - 3/26/2019 12:21:12 AM   
Hellen_slith

Here is Belgian Defense as of turn 4 ... we're on Larry's turn 8 now, I think.

Larry's going to drop an airborne division behind the lines around there, in the next few moves, hoping to take me by surprise.

SURPRISE!! Belgium is on it :) and some French.

SAC bombers also came on line to hammer his airborne division that dropped. Fun game!!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 8
RE: NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/2... - 4/1/2019 8:45:56 PM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Damon and here's the opening unit positions. My units are tired and worn down and it's getting harder to get the Allied units to move. My planes are doing well, most of them are green. Most of them are on AS missions. I'm wondering how much further I'm going to be able to go.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9
RE: NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/2... - 4/3/2019 1:33:21 AM   
Hellen_slith

Larry, I'm going to have say, not far.

Old Ironsides (1st Armored, US) is spinning up.

Watch out!!! :)

Post #: 10
RE: NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/2... - 4/4/2019 5:27:05 AM   
larryfulkerson

I've grabbed Munich just now and I've found some more Allied units to the SW of there and there's a small one along the bottom edge that I need to mop up and then depending on the supply level I may or may not press to the west. I see a lot of forested terrain and I'd rather not have to get into that area but I suspect that the Allies will use it as natural defensive terrain and fortify themselves in there. I'd really rather not have to root them out of there.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 11
RE: NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/2... - 4/4/2019 7:14:43 PM   
Hellen_slith

Those Austrians are harmless ... you can leave them :)

Tried to get to Italy, but ran out of map LoL

Post #: 12
RE: NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/2... - 4/4/2019 10:47:39 PM   
Hellen_slith

Hi, Larry, just got your move ... wanted to say, I am glad that I took the course that I did, declaring Munich an "open city". I had a US mech division gearing up there, but at the last minute, I decided to move them to <location classified>.

I (NATO) have been rocked back onto my heels for the last 10 or so turns by your onslaught, I mean, ON THE ROPES fighting for air.

Just now starting to get a bit of breathing room. Excellent game!!

Post #: 13
RE: NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/2... - 4/4/2019 10:51:41 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hellen_slith
Hi, Larry, just got your move ... wanted to say, I am glad that I took the course that I did, declaring Munich an "open city". I had a US mech division gearing up there, but at the last minute, I decided to move them to <location classified>.

I (NATO) have been rocked back onto my heels for the last 10 or so turns by your onslaught, I mean, ON THE ROPES fighting for air.

Just now starting to get a bit of breathing room. Excellent game!!

It's your turn to press an advance. My guys are tired and most of them are low on supply and I'm spread out and vulnerable if you attack one part at a time. This is a pretty good game. I'm curious to see what your advance looks like.

Post #: 14
RE: NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/2... - 4/4/2019 11:07:05 PM   
Hellen_slith

Man, everywhere I've tried so far (in the last few moves) ... your guys are *never* tired it seems.

Even w/ my air card, I could not take out that forward air base you've got up North.

Dutch Thunder-streaks were not as effective as I had hoped. Going to have to talk to the guys producing the munitions, bombs had no effect.

Going to try a few more air shenanigans this time again, though, now that Ironside is on line.

Post #: 15
RE: NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/2... - 4/5/2019 1:41:39 AM   
Hellen_slith

Hello, Larry, I was just seeing this news report in our game .... do we still have house rule, no chems or nukes, still? Willing to negotiate :)

I think some kind of event occurred. Pretty interesting!!

Ok, back to the board .....

Attachment (1)

Post #: 16
RE: NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/2... - 4/5/2019 1:43:31 AM   
larryfulkerson

I'm not aware of any house rules but no nuclear and no chemical sounds
good to me.

Post #: 17
RE: NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/2... - 4/5/2019 2:53:36 AM   
Hellen_slith

Ok, cool.

Skies are clear. Commencing bombing runs.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 18
RE: NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/2... - 4/5/2019 5:55:42 AM   
larryfulkerson

New set of moves. I watched the combat replay and I think I saw some units being railed to the north areas and lots more Allied units are showing up in the middle and the south is still in flux. I'm not sure who is winning any more. I hear reports that the Allies are going on the offensive.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 19
RE: NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/2... - 4/10/2019 11:58:02 AM   
larryfulkerson

I thought I might ought to explore the northern peninsula and see what kind of trouble is up there. I haven't run into any heavy resistance yet. It may be largely empty of enemy units. I may be able to just walk in and take over.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 20
RE: NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/2... - 4/11/2019 6:29:21 PM   
Hellen_slith

I have major reserves up there, Larry ... you better send a few more divisions to Copenhagen.

But seriously, you've had me on the ropes trying to find breathing room. That last move, I really needed not to fail that force proficiency check ... but that's how the dice roll sometimes! When it failed, I was like ... "Uh, oh, I forgot to move those three guys ..."

No biggie, I think I can recover. How did you like that little WG move, pushing back the Poles (I think it was) around Frankfurt? Was testing the waters, there. I think I might be able to hold on a bit more (hope so, have some much needed US reinforcements in the Channel.)

Good game!

Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> NATO vs Warsaw Pact '62 Hellen Allies, larry WP 3/22/2019 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI