Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Using TO/PO to blow bridges

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> Using TO/PO to blow bridges Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Using TO/PO to blow bridges - 3/22/2019 1:45:20 PM   
Rescue193

I'm fiddling about with with the scenario: "Holland - A Bridge Too Far". The scenario, was originally built for TOAW III but I'm using it in TOAW IV (I'm not sure if that makes a difference in this case but all the other tweaks I've applied appear to work well enough). Anyhow, what I'd like to be able to do is create a TO/PO instruction in the Scenario Editor that will enable the AI (German in this case - so I guess that make's it "Von Elmer"?) the chance to 'blow' the various pre-wired bridges - with varying degrees of likelihood of success - as the Allies advance on them.

My initial thought was to set an Exclusion Zone in each Bridge Hex then, as the Allies approached, each zone could either be removed, if the 'attempt' to blow the bridge failed or, if successful, they would remain in place for a couple of turn-cycles to simulate the time required to repair the bridge or throw a Bailey Bridge across the water obstacle. Unfortunately, I'd need more than two Zones and, anyway, both are already used in the scenario.

If there is a 'destroy bridge' option in the Event Editor I can't find it, nor can I workout a way of using the 'Destroy Bridge' option in the Map Editor from within the actual scenario.

So, my questions are:

Is there a way of enabling the AI to blow the bridges within the scenario?

and, if there is,

Could you please give me an 'idiot's guide' as to how its done?

Many thanks for your help.
Post #: 1
RE: Using TO/PO to blow bridges - 3/23/2019 7:36:17 AM   
larryfulkerson

Thank you for asking that Rescue193 dude....I'd like to hear the answer to that too.

(in reply to Rescue193)
Post #: 2
RE: Using TO/PO to blow bridges - 3/24/2019 11:08:23 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

Is there a way of enabling the AI to blow the bridges within the scenario?

There is no 'enable' button. The PO blows bridges when a certain threat level is reached. I don't know the specific parameters.

(in reply to Rescue193)
Post #: 3
RE: Using TO/PO to blow bridges - 3/24/2019 12:41:25 PM   
Rescue193

Interesting.

I'd no idea that the PO could blow bridges - I've never experienced it so doing.

Might there be a way of establishing what the triggering 'threat level' might be or, better still, adjusting it? I'm guessing such things are probably buried in the code and way beyond the competence of a techno-peasant such as myself to 'tweak'.

However, if there's such a thing a 'wish list' for things to add to the game I'd like to add this facility to it please!

But anyhow, many thanks for the for responding with the answer to my query so quickly. I appreciate it.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 4
RE: Using TO/PO to blow bridges - 3/24/2019 4:06:44 PM   
sPzAbt653

I don't think that any of the settings that we have access to in the OPART.INI file will help. As it isn't something that we can switch off/on then we go to the design aspect, where we figure out the best way to create a behaviour. So let's take a quick look - you are dealing with blowing bridges in Market-Garden and the PO isn't meeting your expectation. So let's intervene - blow the bridges in the Editor, put Static Bridge Units in their place, give no Engineering Capability to units, give the other side a few Bridging Units. You get the idea? Make it so it works the way you want it to.

(in reply to Rescue193)
Post #: 5
RE: Using TO/PO to blow bridges - 3/24/2019 4:31:04 PM   
Rescue193

I do get the idea - thanks.

Actually I was beginning to think along those lines - I just haven't got around to set it up and test it to see how it goes.

Thanks again for your help.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> Using TO/PO to blow bridges Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI