OT - They will not grow old

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

pbiggar

OT - They will not grow old

Post by pbiggar »

An incredible achievement and worth viewing by anyone with an interest in WWI. Peter Jackson (of LOTR fame and general WWI history buff) has taken and restored original WWI footage and added colour and sound to it. They did an extensive clean up and restoration and even used lip readers to figure out what the men were saying and used actors with same accent to add sound in.

Hard not be moved by the experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHYRfukHToc
BillBrown

RE: OT - They will not grow old

Post by BillBrown »

This will be a movie to behold.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Thanks for bringing that to our attention. I will definitely watch for it!

There is a second trailer for the movie ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjBDL23mvas
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

I watched it. Very good documentary.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

I watched it. Very good documentary.
Are you saying the movie came out in 2018? I took the original post to mean it was coming out late this year?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
spence

Post by spence »

Are you saying the movie came out in 2018? I took the original post to mean it was coming out late this year?

Yes the movie came out in 2018. The theaters that show it may be limited in whatever area you are in though. And it is a very good documentary of the WW1. The focus is mostly on the UK/Commonwealth Forces.

(It does seem that they got the color of the tanks wrong in the colorization though - apparently the British tanks were brown. I can't remember whether or not the French FT-17 was in it - French made tanks might have been painted differently - and American tanks might have been painted differently than French ones too - my American grandfather drove one of those.
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

It hasn't been released yet in the US, but it came out elsewhere, such as the UK.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

For those of you in the Blu-ray region B/2, it is available from Amazon.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

It hasn't been released yet in the US, but it came out elsewhere, such as the UK.
We commemorate the end of WWI as Remembrance Day on November 11. It would be timely for the distributors to release it here a few weeks before then.

As for the emphasis on British and Commonwealth forces, they did fight that war three times longer than the US. There would be much more film footage of their forces.
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

I've heard of this and am very anxious to see it!
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Here's Jackson's IMDB

Attachments
jdirector.jpg
jdirector.jpg (71.07 KiB) Viewed 156 times

pbiggar

Post by pbiggar »

I rented it on iTunes and I expect it is probably available worldwide now. It also includes a very good extra describing the process they followed to restore the film. At the time all film was shot using a hand crank which led to different film speeds we see now. All of the commentary was by actual veterans who were interviewed by the BBC in the 1970’s. Lots of other interesting discussion about the technical issues they had to overcome.

RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

For educational purposes, here is a movie about a battalion of New York City gangsters in the US 77th Division in World War I - they were led by a lawyer! They were joined later by a company from another unit. I takes place less than two months before the end of the war. If the US general would have been honest with the commander of the battalion, fewer American lives would have been lost.

Three Medals of Honor were present to soldiers present during the battle plus at least one Distinguished Service Cross. A pigeon was presented with the Distinguished Flying Cross . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxpzGOm_vQg
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

spence

Post by spence »

For educational purposes, here is a movie about a battalion of New York City gangsters in the US 77th Division in World War I - they were led by a lawyer! They were joined later by a company from another unit. I takes place less than two months before the end of the war. If the US general would have been honest with the commander of the battalion, fewer American lives would have been lost.

Three Medals of Honor were present to soldiers present during the battle plus at least one Distinguished Service Cross. A pigeon was presented with the Distinguished Flying Cross . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxpzGOm_vQg

The link is a movie called "The Lost Battalion".
Here is the link from a 1919 film also called "The Lost Battalion" which apparently re-enacted by the survivors of the incident.

The incident portrayed is probably the most famous incident in the First World War in the US. I'm not entirely sure of the description above concerning the dishonesty of the Commanding General. The actual "Lost Battalion" included parts of 9 companies from the same Brigade. The lawyer who commanded the "Battalion" was the senior field grade officer present in the pocket. Movies today love to inject some controversy into the action. Miserable communications technology and a rapidly developing combat situation are quite likely the reason the "Battalion" got cut off. It was neither the first time nor the last that such an incident occurred.
I remember seeing a portrayal of the incident on a TV show called "The Twentieth Century" way back in the late 50s/early 60s and I remember reading about the pigeon "Cher Ami" back in graded school. For those interested towards the very end of the movie the actual heroes of incident are shown receiving their medals and "Cher Ami" is shown hopping around on one leg.
spence

Post by spence »

BTW you guys gotta get out more often. The movie got released in the US in December of 2018 in the US and is at several theaters right now in Vancouver, WA and Portland, OR.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”