Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

D21 overwhelming micromanagment!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> D21 overwhelming micromanagment! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
D21 overwhelming micromanagment! - 3/18/2019 4:27:36 PM   
Iamstrategygame

Well I really don't mind large amount of unit and I am indeed having fun, but what I hate is mindless micromanagement, right now what I hate most is dig in, tactical reserve or local reserve. We have three opinions here, which one do I chose? and I have to do this for all unit. This really is mindless micromanagement. Please help me!
Post #: 1
RE: D21 overwhelming micromanagment! - 3/18/2019 4:35:19 PM   
Lobster

How would any AI know what you want to do? Dig in this one. Make that one tactical. Make this one local. How would the game know exactly what you want? And with so many units? Anyone have an idea that does not mean leaving the rest of the game to do this one thing? Because it's going to mean lots and lots of weeks of work and bugs.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 3/18/2019 4:36:56 PM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to Iamstrategygame)
Post #: 2
RE: D21 overwhelming micromanagment! - 3/18/2019 5:24:37 PM   
sPzAbt653

That's why they call them monster scenario's

Always Dig-In when you are finished with a unit, never use Local Reserve. Use Tactical Reserve for Artillery Units when advancing by Movement and Combat. This will give a little less from each gun but will prevent the need for manually assigning Bombardments. That's how I D21, others do things different.

Post #: 3
RE: D21 overwhelming micromanagment! - 3/18/2019 6:05:59 PM   
Shadrach

I stay away from the monsters for this reason
(Also don't get this obsession with playing the entire East Front... better get WiTE instead)

But a couple of things I've learned to minimise micro:

- A unit will continue to Dig In once ordered to. You don't need to choose dig in each turn for static units you want to defend a location.
- Rail units will attempt to repair tracks on their location at the end of turn using remaining MP. Although sometimes you'd want to do it manually.
- Use hotkeys as much as possible. Learn ch. 6.1.2 by heart. Use AutoHotkey to remap keys if they are not optimal (they aren't). Still micro, but saves you from getting RSI.

Also the Elmer assist feature is probably really useful if you can learn it, although I've yet managed to get my head around it. I wish there was an easy way to use AI move by formation only, so you could automatically move an entire formation at a time, but not all of them.

One thing I really wish for is some kind of "opportunity fire" mechanic for artillery, where a unit with high supply will fire missions of their choosing during turn resolution, for instance the biggest stack within range. This would save a lot of having to assign arty missions every bloody turn.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 4
RE: D21 overwhelming micromanagment! - 3/18/2019 9:07:37 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

I wish there was an easy way to use AI move by formation only, so you could automatically move an entire formation at a time, but not all of them.

Hey you guys...there's a button on the formation report that you can click to get the PO to move the entire formation along it's objective track, but only that formation. Try it. You'll need to turn the PO mode on first.

Attachment (1)

there's two things that everyone needs to know: (1) 90% of the human race lives near the coast. (2) human beings can't breathe under water.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 5
RE: D21 overwhelming micromanagment! - 3/18/2019 9:10:06 PM   
larryfulkerson

double post, sorry

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/18/2019 9:24:12 PM >

there's two things that everyone needs to know: (1) 90% of the human race lives near the coast. (2) human beings can't breathe under water.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 6
RE: D21 overwhelming micromanagment! - 3/18/2019 10:04:44 PM   
Shadrach

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
Hey you guys...there's a button on the formation report that you can click to get the PO to move the entire formation along it's objective track, but only that formation. Try it. You'll need to turn the PO mode on first.

Good point! Didn't think about that one. I don't really use that mode, so easy to mess up and the AI does strange things at times. Not sure what the rules are for Elmer to engage the enemy, sometimes you want some units to just follow a road, and it decides to send the entire division into the mountains. But it could work once you get used to it I guess.

They should place that button next to the other button for PO move in the Reports tab... or have it react to right-click for Formation PO Move.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 7
RE: D21 overwhelming micromanagment! - 3/19/2019 12:40:53 AM   
Hellen_slith

Tactical Reserve: units will assist adjacent units / move to cover retreats

Local Reserve: I use for tank units or cav to move in response to threats (but only if they have plenty movement points left to "move" where threats arise)

At least that's how I've been doing it .... might be wrong, but it works for me...

Good luck!

Post #: 8
RE: D21 overwhelming micromanagment! - 3/19/2019 12:48:46 AM   
r6kunz

Re Micromanagement vs PO Assist
I agree with Larry and the use of PO Assist.
Especially scenarios that have a few mobile formations and numerous non-mechanized division. i.e. Guderian's Divisions in Road to Moscow, and 2.Pz Div, Lehr, and 116.Pz Div in Ardennes 1944. Obviously, other formations can be switched from PO Assist to Manual as needed.

And Shadrach, I agree hotkeys definitely can minimize RSI (AKA repetitive strain injury) and speed up gameplay.

RAK

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> D21 overwhelming micromanagment! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI