Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Air war

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Air war Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Air war - 3/14/2019 9:51:13 AM   
tonyscrase

I am playing the campaign game as the allies

1) In very poor weather I have just been carrying out strategic bombing missions no air support or interdiction missions which I keep rested

2) I try and keep the minimum morale level for aircraft at 50 which can mean I am resting between 2,000 and 6000 aircraft a turn this seems very high. Just wondered what other players thought

THANK YOU
Post #: 1
RE: Air war - 3/14/2019 11:32:43 AM   
EddyBear81

The resting of Aircraft is a very important decision.

Either you put them on an intensive schedule (fly every day, unlimited number of missions "999"), but then you have to rest them in the magnitude you indicate. Or you fly less, but then do not expand all the available air miles, and lack "punch" on every turn.

I prefer the first solution.

And then.
Weather plays a huge role : I tend to fly a lot before bad weather (like fly everyone that's not 19 morale), and then rest up to 59 during rain turns.
Strategic situation even more : you obviously want to have the maximum punch in the weeks following an invasion, so very little rest. But overplaying this leads you to "everything is a priority" trope, which is bad.

So it's more an art than a science, to manoeuver your air force to best serve your overall objectives !

(in reply to tonyscrase)
Post #: 2
RE: Air war - 3/14/2019 3:31:26 PM   
cfulbright

My own practice is to fly strategic bombers three days a week, resting all air groups with morale of 50 or less, and most air groups of 51-54, unless they have 80+ experience. Air groups with lower morale suffer much higher attrition, so this reduces my losses. Most importantly, I want to have 80-90% of my air groups available every turn for when whether improves or I need to counterattack.

I fly air superiority every day, both friendly and enemy phases, but only about 45% of the available aircraft per AS AD.

Ground attack depends on how much flak over target. Adjusting altitude helps, but flying even 1/3/5/7 for gruund attack will result in a significant percent of low morale aircraft.

Cary

< Message edited by cfulbright -- 3/14/2019 5:04:04 PM >

(in reply to tonyscrase)
Post #: 3
RE: Air war - 3/14/2019 8:57:29 PM   
Q-Ball

I would fly 3-4 days a week with Bombers, max. Set to maximum # of attacks though and only 25 plane requirements; I found better results from numerous smaller attacks than fewer large ones. Also, group the days after Days 1 and 2; set your RECON to fly Day 1, 2, 4, 7 (pre- and post-results), and Bombers to fly 3, 5, 7. That way Bombers get fresh Recon.

(in reply to cfulbright)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Air war Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI