Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Getting started

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Getting started Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Getting started - 3/9/2019 1:21:42 AM   
AstroBlues

When starting up a World in Flames game for Pbem, do you use the Solitaire, Head to Head or Internet button.

Ron
Post #: 1
RE: Getting started - 3/9/2019 1:58:37 AM   
paulderynck

You can use either Solitaire or head to head, but there's little point using head to head as it just introduces extra clicking to tell players to switch sides. If someone wants to see the entry chits that don't belong to them, they can just advance the game and "pretend" they are their own opponent so it amounts to assuming your opponent will behave honorably, either way.

Paul

(in reply to AstroBlues)
Post #: 2
RE: Getting started - 3/9/2019 11:05:47 AM   
AstroBlues

One other question: Is there a fast start for the Global War scenario. Would you recommend it to a beginner so that he can get right into the game. Or would the process, he is the Allies, of scrapping units, setting up convoys, and such be beneficial to him?

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 3
RE: Getting started - 3/9/2019 12:56:41 PM   
Centuur

Since the game has a steep learning curve (also with the way the program works), I would suggest a Barbarossa first and a Guadalcanal second, before going towards global war.

You'll find that you will need to get more information (the video's and such) during those small campaigns, simply to get to know how to do things...

Peter

(in reply to AstroBlues)
Post #: 4
RE: Getting started - 3/9/2019 4:13:35 PM   
Courtenay

A Barbarossa as a first try makes sense. Do not use the game's Quick Start, though, because the Russian set up is horrible. I posted a better one in the first post of this thread: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3504213&mpage=1&key=quick�, or just do your own set up.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 5
RE: Getting started - 3/9/2019 4:17:18 PM   
Courtenay

I have not looked at the Quick Start for global war; I would never use it, because you will always want to do something differently than anybody else's set up. (Heck, you might even replace the words "anybody else's" with "anybody's" in that last sentence, My general feeling when I look at one of my old set ups is "What idiot did that? Oh.")

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 6
RE: Getting started - 3/9/2019 4:46:26 PM   
AstroBlues

I am looking forward to playing MWiF. My opponent and I are starting with the Barbarossa scenario. Thanks for all the help.

Ron

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 7
RE: Getting started - 4/9/2019 12:44:34 AM   
jboldt007

I found starting with GW easier in the end if you just want to practice. Guadalcanal is not easy to begin learning - I just stared at the screen - even though I watched all the videos. With GW the strategic objectives at the beginning are easily understood- Poland. Plus you get a bit of everything. And one learns that France isn’t just a cake walk. After a couple GW now I “get” Guadalcanal...

(in reply to AstroBlues)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Getting started Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI