Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Start with Solitaire or with an inexperienced human opponent?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Start with Solitaire or with an inexperienced human opponent? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Start with Solitaire or with an inexperienced human opp... - 3/6/2019 11:05:04 PM   
crazydave1066

Hello! I have been studying up on the rules now long enough to feel comfortable starting a game. I have a question for experienced players: do you think it's best when starting out to play solitaire or to play against an inexperienced human opponent? I can see either being helpful. In solitaire, you can learn from you're own mistakes. With another opponent, I feel like you can get a better handle on the rules, as you can discuss the rules and figure them out together. Which is better to start with?
Post #: 1
RE: Start with Solitaire or with an inexperienced human... - 3/6/2019 11:27:35 PM   
Majorball68

quote:

ORIGINAL: crazydave1066

Hello! I have been studying up on the rules now long enough to feel comfortable starting a game. I have a question for experienced players: do you think it's best when starting out to play solitaire or to play against an inexperienced human opponent? I can see either being helpful. In solitaire, you can learn from you're own mistakes. With another opponent, I feel like you can get a better handle on the rules, as you can discuss the rules and figure them out together. Which is better to start with?

Start with solitaire to become familiar with the lay out, performing actions and the sequence of play. The video training modules are very good also. Ask questions on the forum if you run into any issues.

(in reply to crazydave1066)
Post #: 2
RE: Start with Solitaire or with an inexperienced human... - 3/6/2019 11:28:10 PM   
Courtenay

I would say, given that choice, that the inexperienced human opponent is better. You will make rules mistakes. Your opponent will make rules mistakes. (Everyone makes rules mistakes. See my sig.) The important thing is that some of your mistakes will be different from your opponent's and vice versa, so between the two of you, you will get a better feeling for the rules. This is something that happens much slower playing solitaire. If you do play solitaire, making an AAR is very helpful, because we have people who will tell you if they see a rules mistake.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

Post #: 3
RE: Start with Solitaire or with an inexperienced human... - 3/6/2019 11:49:00 PM   
crazydave1066

Thanks for the replies! I have been leaning more towards a human opponent the first time, since I personally think it would be more fun to learn WITH someone. But I will eventually do a solitaire game and who knows, I might even make an AAR! :)

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 4
RE: Start with Solitaire or with an inexperienced human... - 3/7/2019 8:09:21 AM   
Joseignacio

I would vote for solitaire unless you bore to death in the process.

I learnt with humans and they always interprete the rules their (our) way, and introduce their bias and incorrections, that are later difficult to correct.

Learning with MWIF will let you understand the basics and then you have a common base to debate the rest of the rules while you keep learning.

Post #: 5
RE: Start with Solitaire or with an inexperienced human... - 3/7/2019 8:35:06 AM   
Courtenay

My understanding is that he is going to use MWiF no matter what; the question is whether he should play against a human or against a machine. MWiF will enforce certain rules (Supply!), but other rules allow you to do things, and if you don't realize it, you never will playing solitaire. (An example is that one can pick up a unit and transport it during the return to base phase. If you don't know this, you won't figure it out playing solitaire. If your opponent does this to you, you will remember it.)

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 6
RE: Start with Solitaire or with an inexperienced human... - 3/7/2019 8:40:50 AM   
Joseignacio

Yes, but you can learn rules wrong playing with a human and then you need to re-learn them when playing MWIF (or other humans), it happened to me and it was not fun.

Athough what you say is true as well.

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 3/7/2019 9:39:08 AM >

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Start with Solitaire or with an inexperienced human opponent? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI