Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/4/2019 5:06:37 PM   
ringoblood

Well I pose this Question as a debate due to the announcement of recent games and pull back on game genres like Civil war games and French Civil war and American Civil war Games, which has not been Developed for many years now and more and more game in the Scifi area now. I understand its a business and they need to go where the money is but there leaving a big chuck of there customer base out now, i feel like i need to go away and live with John Tiller now bc only he is producing Civil war games now have not seen a Civil War game come out of Slitherine since Tide, in 2015.

Any thought or comments?
Post #: 1
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/4/2019 5:49:16 PM   
Franciscus

As for me, the only announced Matrix game that I am interested in is Field of Glory: Empires...

Former AJE team member

(in reply to ringoblood)
Post #: 2
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/4/2019 5:55:35 PM   
Capitaine

I'll just state my opinion on this thesis, which may not be accurate but is my perception. Essentially, none of the ACW, Napoleonic or other "horse and musket" era games have been very good. There's always been some kind of annoyance or deficiency. No one has ever, it seems, taken a grand stab at the sine qua non of this era which are turn based battalion battles with very good interface, realistic maps, crisp fluid functioning, and crisp, clear evocative graphics. People ask for an "Age of Rifles II" all the time but the pleas fall on deaf ears.

For my part, I have pretty much limited my interest in Slitherine/Matrix games to designers I trust to make awesome products: Gary Grigsby with the War in the East series games; also his forthcoming "Steel Tigers" (if we ever get some pix of that one); and the Lordz Studio doing Panzer Corps (Korps?) II. I really don't see anything else on the horizon right now.

(in reply to ringoblood)
Post #: 3
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/4/2019 6:08:49 PM   
ringoblood

To be honest i agree. There are only three gaming series that i have a favor too and one of that is developed by John Tiller that was published by Matrix that's, Civil War Battlegrounds.

The other two i love is the Strategic Command series and Close Combat.

Other then that i agree, the design and workmanship is poor, especially in the classics.

< Message edited by ringoblood -- 3/4/2019 6:40:39 PM >

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 4
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/4/2019 7:56:01 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: ringoblood
Well I pose this Question as a debate due to the announcement of recent games and pull back on game genres like Civil war games and French Civil war

Just curious, what civil war is that? The Wars of Religion in the 1500s?

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to ringoblood)
Post #: 5
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/4/2019 8:43:59 PM   
ringoblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

Well I pose this Question as a debate due to the announcement of recent games and pull back on game genres like Civil war games and French Civil war

Just curious, what civil war is that? The Wars of Religion in the 1500s?

Very funny, no i made a mistake let me clarify, the English Civil War, more commonly found in the middle ages. I apologize for my mistake.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 6
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/4/2019 9:00:17 PM   
TulliusDetritus

No worries. I was intrigued. Either a 1871 game about La Commune (too short scenario: few months so unlikely) or the long and bloody conflict in the 1500s. I thought AGEOD might be planning such a game.

Regards

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to ringoblood)
Post #: 7
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/4/2019 9:46:34 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capitaine

I'll just state my opinion on this thesis, which may not be accurate but is my perception. Essentially, none of the ACW, Napoleonic or other "horse and musket" era games have been very good. There's always been some kind of annoyance or deficiency. No one has ever, it seems, taken a grand stab at the sine qua non of this era which are turn based battalion battles with very good interface, realistic maps, crisp fluid functioning, and crisp, clear evocative graphics. People ask for an "Age of Rifles II" all the time but the pleas fall on deaf ears.

For my part, I have pretty much limited my interest in Slitherine/Matrix games to designers I trust to make awesome products: Gary Grigsby with the War in the East series games; also his forthcoming "Steel Tigers" (if we ever get some pix of that one); and the Lordz Studio doing Panzer Corps (Korps?) II. I really don't see anything else on the horizon right now.

Just a correction - Panzer Corps was developed by Flashback Games. The Lordz provided graphics and other assets for it. They are not involved in Panzer Corps 2.

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 8
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/4/2019 11:48:30 PM   
Capitaine

quote:

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capitaine

Just a correction - Panzer Corps was developed by Flashback Games. The Lordz provided graphics and other assets for it. They are not involved in Panzer Corps 2.

Cheers

Pip

Thanks, that's good to know. They're doing a great job from the looks of things.

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 9
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/5/2019 12:45:43 AM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

No worries. I was intrigued. Either a 1871 game about La Commune (too short scenario: few months so unlikely) or the long and bloody conflict in the 1500s. I thought AGEOD might be planning such a game.

Regards

Could not help myself to find out about La Commune https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Commune a brief chapter in French history following the Franco-Prussian War.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 10
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/5/2019 1:36:23 AM   
KurtC

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franciscus

As for me, the only announced Matrix game that I am interested in is Field of Glory: Empires...

I'd like for them to do a American Civil War game using Pike and Shot as the way to go resolve tactical battles.

My known forum name is H Gilmer

He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
"There are no modern Nazis. The real Nazis in Hell laugh at the notion." - Gilmer, descendant of Poles.

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 11
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/5/2019 2:57:34 AM   
Lobster

quote:

Well I pose this Question as a debate due to the announcement of recent games and pull back on game genres like Civil war games and French Civil war and American Civil war Games, which has not been Developed for many years now and more and more game in the Scifi area now. I understand its a business and they need to go where the money is but there leaving a big chuck of there customer base out now, i feel like i need to go away and live with John Tiller now bc only he is producing Civil war games now have not seen a Civil War game come out of Slitherine since Tide, in 2015.

Any thought or comments?

Are some of these scifi games war games or some other type of game? Or are they just not the kind of war game you would want to play? Just curious.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to ringoblood)
Post #: 12
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/5/2019 4:43:17 AM   
Rosseau

Whether the OP's observation is a trend here or not, I have found myself buying more titles off Steam to feed my addiction, which is not always a good thing. As mentioned, we do have FoG2, which imo is a work of the highest standards. Aggressors is good, and Armored Brigade not the Steel Panthers I hoped, but still good and I hope will never be abandoned.

Tiller's Panzer Battles series shows a real effort, especially with all the extras. So in my desperation, I'm buying Barbarroja on Steam with no AI until I get up the guts to finally battle with WitW. Nor have I made the time commitment to TOAW IV. Keep in mind, I'm getting old.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 13
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/5/2019 11:55:58 AM   
Lobster

I think it's difficult to cover the same subject matter over and over again and still make any money at all. That might be why war games have become more arcade like and less realistic. Gotta do something to draw in the short attention span crowd and the fps people. There's only so much you can do to add new ideas to old subjects. I'd like to see more war games that follow the Command Ops model.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 14
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/5/2019 12:38:21 PM   
rico21

I propose to see the problem in reverse, and if it was us who gave up.
We are more and more demanding because of our experience (all seen everything played) but especially our average age is high, young designers make apps for smartphones and do not even know that we exist.
In short the wargamers that we are are a species in danger of extinction.

(in reply to ringoblood)
Post #: 15
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/5/2019 12:41:44 PM   
ringoblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

quote:

Any thought or comments?

Are some of these scifi games war games or some other type of game? Or are they just not the kind of war game you would want to play? Just curious.

I see your point for instance yes WARHAMMER 40K is war games, but this new NEVERDARK game they just announce is not a war game, its a survival game. They are moving away.

< Message edited by ringoblood -- 3/5/2019 12:42:22 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 16
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/5/2019 1:50:25 PM   
budd

If selling other game types helps keep them making wargames I'm all for it. Only so many times you can cover the main battle areas and the lesser known or not as popular battles/wars probably don't pay the rent. Which ever way it goes I've got enough wargames already to last a couple of lifetimes.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to ringoblood)
Post #: 17
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/5/2019 3:19:43 PM   
IainMcNeil

We are developing the following wargames internally :

Close Combat
Steel Tigers
Field of Glory Empires
Helping with Field of Glory

There are also a number of big wargames in development but they take an awfully long time to do. E.g. War in the East 2.

The rest of the games are designed and developed by external teams. We never go out and ask developers to make a game about X (except in a rare situation where we acquire a license such as Battlestar Galactica and then we look for someone with a suitable engine to fit the required genre). The developer has to have a passion and vision for the game or it doesn't work so we can only pick from what is out there to publish. If you think we're missing some good wargames we'd be very happy to find out about them so we can contact the developers. We would love to publish a good new Civil War game is anyone wants to make one :)

Neverdark was not commissioned by us, we just saw it and liked it so signed it up. It does not in any way indicate a move away from wargames. If we see any interesting wargame projects you can be sure we'll try and sign them up too!

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 18
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/5/2019 3:35:16 PM   
USSAmerica

Thanks for the feedback, Iain!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 19
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/5/2019 3:36:20 PM   
ringoblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: IainMcNeil

Close Combat
Steel Tigers
Field of Glory Empires

There are also a number of big wargames in development but they take an awfully long time to do. E.g. War in the East 2.

The rest of the games are designed and developed by external teams. We never go out and ask developers to make a game about X (except in a rare situation where we acquire a license such as Battlestar Galactica and then we look for someone with a suitable engine to fit the required genre). The developer has to have a passion and vision for the game or it doesn't work so we can only pick from what is out there to publish. If you think we're missing some good wargames we'd be very happy to find out about them so we can contact the developers. We would love to publish a good new Civil War game is anyone wants to make one :)

Neverdark was not commissioned by us, we just saw it and liked it so signed it up. It does not in any way indicate a move away from wargames. If we see any interesting wargame projects you can be sure we'll try and sign them up too!

Thank you for taking your time to clarify the position Ian.

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 20
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/5/2019 3:50:39 PM   
rico21

quote:

We would love to publish a good new Civil War game is anyone wants to make one :)

I'm French, I live in civil war every day, I don't need civilwargame.

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 21
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/5/2019 4:51:09 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Close Combat
Steel Tigers
Field of Glory Empires

warspite1

So its probably fair to say I shouldn't hold my breath for a detailed Mediterranean 1940-43 war game?....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 22
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/5/2019 4:58:31 PM   
IainMcNeil

Nothing I can talk about for now that would be in the near future unfortunately.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 23
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/5/2019 5:02:53 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Nothing I can talk about for now that would be in the near future unfortunately.
warspite1

Fair enough - it was a tongue firmly embedded in the cheek comment anyway... I'll just keep hoping and maybe one day, in the time I have left before I drop off this mortal coil, it may happen

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 24
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/5/2019 5:14:50 PM   
ringoblood

Iain McNeil thank you for being awesome and providing a great company. I am sorry for my stubbornness. Please forgive me my friend.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 25
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/5/2019 5:20:19 PM   
larrybush

I play Science Fiction in a heartbeat if it's good. Not sure I call too many war games though. Currently playing Distant Worlds - Universe I just bought.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 26
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/5/2019 5:45:19 PM   
Franciscus

quote:

Close Combat
Steel Tigers
Field of Glory Empires

Thanks Iain

Maybe you should check out the indie spanish developers (http://strathexa.com) that launched "Barbarroja" on Steam, and are making a spanish civil war game.

"Barbarroja" sure looks good, it is a pity that it does not have AI.

It seems all that they need is a good publisher...

Regards

Former AJE team member

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 27
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/5/2019 8:42:04 PM   
operating

quote:

Close Combat
Steel Tigers
Field of Glory Empires

No CW game in the works, reminds me of a song line: "One less egg to fry"..

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 28
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/6/2019 8:42:00 AM   
IainMcNeil

Yes we're looking in to http://strathexa.com but we have been unable to make contact. There is no contact info on his site and one of the team tried making a Steam friend request but no response. If you know him tell him to get in touch.

Its also a multiplayer only game, with no AI so very hard to sell commercially.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 29
RE: Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? - 3/6/2019 11:47:08 AM   
DonCzirr

What about classic Third Reich ?

Lots of folks have a nostalgic attachment still.

I think the computer version may be abandonware at this point?

I for one, would love to see you guys pick that up, modernize it and add some stock Slitherine sounds / graphic assets ....

Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Is Slitherine Leaving Wargamers? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI