Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Diving subs appear to take damage

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Diving subs appear to take damage Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Diving subs appear to take damage - 3/3/2019 3:36:12 AM   
Christolos

Diving subs take one point of damage as they dive and then emerge back with the damage point restored...
Has anyone else noticed this?

C

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-
Post #: 1
RE: Diving subs appear to take damage - 3/3/2019 5:37:07 AM   
pjg100

Yes, it happens from time to time. Although I hadnt noticed that the damage was reversed.

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 2
RE: Diving subs appear to take damage - 3/3/2019 11:26:26 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Actually, I'm in favor of "Fog of Results" and making searching the enemies units statistics to more variable. Having access to every portion of the enemies information within in Fog, isn't exactly realistic. How many Sub movies have you seen when the captain says, jettison all the debris within to give the appearance we are sunk! Impressive, I spelled jettison correctly, at least auto-check liked it.

< Message edited by ElvisJJonesRambo -- 3/3/2019 11:28:06 AM >

March 25, 1961, Elvis Presley performed in Hawaii his USS Arizona Memorial Benefit Concert. Elvis staged concert was to raise money for a memorial at Pearl Harbor dedicated to all who died in the December 7, 1941 attack.

(in reply to pjg100)
Post #: 3
RE: Diving subs appear to take damage - 3/3/2019 2:54:22 PM   
ThunderLizard2

I find the whole sub diving thing to be very tedious. I'd rather results be more decisive rather than all the constant clicking and searching. It adds tedium the game and is not strategic.

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 4
RE: Diving subs appear to take damage - 3/3/2019 3:27:42 PM   
Toby42

quote:

ORIGINAL: ThunderLizard2

I find the whole sub diving thing to be very tedious. I'd rather results be more decisive rather than all the constant clicking and searching. It adds tedium the game and is not strategic.

I don't even go after subs anymore. I'm tired of playing Whack-A-Mole!

Tony

(in reply to ThunderLizard2)
Post #: 5
RE: Diving subs appear to take damage - 3/3/2019 4:12:20 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Well, that's what submarines do, they hide under the water. Run silent, run deep. Buy some anti-Sub tech.

March 25, 1961, Elvis Presley performed in Hawaii his USS Arizona Memorial Benefit Concert. Elvis staged concert was to raise money for a memorial at Pearl Harbor dedicated to all who died in the December 7, 1941 attack.

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 6
RE: Diving subs appear to take damage - 3/3/2019 5:12:52 PM   
Christolos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby42

quote:

ORIGINAL: ThunderLizard2

I don't even go after subs anymore. I'm tired of playing Whack-A-Mole!

First make sure you don't fall behind in ASW. Being ahead is even better. Motor torpedo boats are even better at hitting subs than destroyers, and CVLs are really good too. If a sub keeps diving, don't look for it each time with a DD that hasn't attacked yet. Find it again with one that has, but also one that still has a fair amount of action points remaining. This way if you have run out of ships that can strike, you can and should always try to surround the sub with non-adjacent ships such that it will not easily escape on its turn with out having a surprise run in. Always make sure the sub is spotted before you stop attacking, even if you still have ships that can attack. This way, you can a least keep it somewhat cornered so you can attack it again on your next turn.

Cheers,

C

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 7
RE: Diving subs appear to take damage - 3/4/2019 3:33:18 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Very good lesson. It's okay to encircle & hunt them bastards.

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 8
RE: Diving subs appear to take damage - 3/6/2019 8:52:24 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

ORIGINAL: Christolos

Diving subs take one point of damage as they dive and then emerge back with the damage point restored...
Has anyone else noticed this?

C

Thanks for the report and I've tried repeating this to no avail. Can you provide any more details? Was this under FoW?

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 9
RE: Diving subs appear to take damage - 3/6/2019 11:15:20 PM   
Christolos

Hi Hubert,

It's been happening to me PBEM++ games with FOW on.

It seems to happen when the diving sub, diving in response to be attacked, moves into, or rather under a hex, containing an enemy unit, whereupon it takes a hit of one damage as though it were a ship moving through a hex containing another hidden ship, but then re-emerges after diving, with the hit point restored. It's not a huge problem more than it is a anomaly of the game mechanics, since the sub doesn't really take any damage in the end.

Thanks,

C

-Aristotle-

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 10
RE: Diving subs appear to take damage - 3/7/2019 4:00:23 AM   
pjg100

I wonder if the sub loses experience as a result of this glitch?

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 11
RE: Diving subs appear to take damage - 3/7/2019 3:53:24 PM   
Christolos

Good point...I hope not because then it would become a bug!

I also just noticed in the last turn of one of my games, that it does not have to be when a diving sub moves across a hex containing an enemy ship. It also happens when the sub dives across empty hexes too.

C

-Aristotle-

(in reply to pjg100)
Post #: 12
RE: Diving subs appear to take damage - 3/9/2019 6:00:35 PM   
Christolos

Ok, this time it happened when my Italian sub in the Med got attacked, dived with taking a one point hit loss, and resurfaced without recovering the hit loss...

I could understand a sub taking damage while diving, but is this WAD?

C

-Aristotle-

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 13
RE: Diving subs appear to take damage - 3/9/2019 7:47:13 PM   
pjg100

It also seems to me that subs are failing to dive significantly more often than would be implied by the rule, IIRC 40% base. But that could just be statistical noise.

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Diving subs appear to take damage Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI