Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[FIXED] Investigate Contacts Within Weapon Range. Broke, Or Not?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [FIXED] Investigate Contacts Within Weapon Range. Broke, Or Not? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[FIXED] Investigate Contacts Within Weapon Range. Broke... - 3/1/2019 11:19:50 AM   
ronmexico111

This is a question I've been trying to answer for awhile now. Within the mission editor for air patrols there is a button to investigate contacts within weapon range. From what I've seen it seems to serve no discernible purpose whether it is checked or not and I've yet to get a definitive answer on it's function from someone who knows the purpose of it. Is it a bug, or am I doing something wrong trying to get it to work? To use Admiral Nimitz's phrase, "The world wonders."

A little scenario is attached here to demonstrate what I mean. In it an F-4 Phantom is on patrol and the button to investigate contacts within weapon range is checked. You will find that the Phantom will not investigate and/or fire upon the enemy contact unless the contact is either within the Phantom's cone of fire or the button to investigate outside the patrol area is checked. In any case, the button to investigate within weapons range can be checked or not, it doesn't do anything at all either way.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 10/10/2019 8:06:55 AM >

"Never get out of the boat" Apocalypse Now
Post #: 1
RE: Investigate Contacts Within Weapon Range. Broke, Or... - 3/30/2019 7:18:41 PM   
ronmexico111

Just wondering if this has been looked at. It's been a couple months now, I also had another thread about this but it's not been resolved. www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4585067

< Message edited by ronmexico111 -- 3/30/2019 7:19:18 PM >

(in reply to ronmexico111)
Post #: 2
RE: Investigate Contacts Within Weapon Range. Broke, Or... - 3/30/2019 8:12:50 PM   
Whicker

I found a couple mentions about it, I am not real sure what it is supposed to do, seems like it is there for edge cases. In playing your test it was not clear if it was working or not, your patrol zone is so narrow I think that is part of the problem. I have the feeling it is more about whether you should shoot at something outside the patrol zone rather than actually go investigate them but not sure.

http://www.matrixgames.com/Forums/tm.asp?m=4081919&mpage=1&key=�

https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/command-modern-air-naval-operations-the-harpoon-that-never-was/75669/432

Post #: 3
RE: Investigate Contacts Within Weapon Range. Broke, Or... - 3/30/2019 8:30:12 PM   
Whicker

I think it is working [edit - no it is not], not sure why yours did not, maybe cause the zone was so small?

see attached. I added a civilian side, there a couple planes coming from the east. When checked the F35 will investigate them, when not it won't.

[edit - wrong checkbox is checked, bad example.]

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Whicker -- 3/31/2019 1:48:08 AM >

(in reply to Whicker)
Post #: 4
RE: Investigate Contacts Within Weapon Range. Broke, Or... - 3/30/2019 11:01:07 PM   
ronmexico111

quote:

see attached. I added a civilian side, there a couple planes coming from the east. When checked the F35 will investigate them, when not it won't.

Attachment (1)

I'm not seeing it. The planes will go Engaged Offensive because you have Investigate Contacts Outside The Patrol Area checked but when that is unchecked Investigate Contacts Within Weapon Range still seems to have no function whether it's checked or not.

As far as the one thread you linked to (www.matrixgames.com/Forums/tm.asp?m=4081919&mpage=1&key=%26%2365533%3B), what I could glean from it is that Investigate Contacts Within Weapon Range was meant to restrict firing upon enemies who had not yet entered a patrol or prosecution zone in order to keep from firing at aircraft across borders you didn't want to cross and such things like that during a scenario but in my experience it doesn't work that way, or at all for that matter. My problem is that I don't have a definitive answer to the function and if it is to restrict fire then why does it say Investigate Contacts Outside The Patrol Area (specifically the word "investigate" and also the word "outside" which would seem to negate the theory that the button is meant to restrict firing to "inside" a patrol or prosecution zone)?

< Message edited by ronmexico111 -- 3/30/2019 11:02:42 PM >

(in reply to Whicker)
Post #: 5
RE: Investigate Contacts Within Weapon Range. Broke, Or... - 3/30/2019 11:07:42 PM   
ronmexico111

quote:

As far as the one thread you linked to (www.matrixgames.com/Forums/tm.asp?m=4081919&mpage=1&key=%26%2365533%3B), what I could glean from it is that Investigate Contacts Within Weapon Range was meant to restrict firing upon enemies who had not yet entered a patrol or prosecution zone in order to keep from firing at aircraft across borders you didn't want to cross and such things like that during a scenario but in my experience it doesn't work that way, or at all for that matter. My problem is that I don't have a definitive answer to the function and if it is to restrict fire then why does it say Investigate Contacts Outside The Patrol Area (specifically the word "investigate" and also the word "outside" which would seem to negate the theory that the button is meant to restrict firing to "inside" a patrol or prosecution zone)?

Reading the other thread again I think it might actually mean the opposite which brings me back to my original theory on the function, which it does not seem to do either way.

< Message edited by ronmexico111 -- 3/30/2019 11:08:30 PM >

Post #: 6
RE: Investigate Contacts Within Weapon Range. Broke, Or... - 3/31/2019 1:47:11 AM   
Whicker

I think you are right - that was with the wrong checkbox, and with the other one checked it doesn't do what I think it should do, and doesn't seem to actually do anything at all.

I redid my scen with an f-14 instead of f-35 since the f-35 can figure out what any other unit is too easily.
Your example is probably just as good, but the narrow patrol zone seems bad to me.

I wonder what it is supposed to do? within weapons range of my unit right now. Or if it is supposed to enlarge the patrol zone by the range of any weapon inside? which doesn't really make sense.

Maybe it is doing something else entirely.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 7
RE: Investigate Contacts Within Weapon Range. Broke, Or... - 4/21/2019 1:44:31 PM   
Dimitris

Thanks, logged. We'll take a look.

(in reply to Whicker)
Post #: 8
RE: Investigate Contacts Within Weapon Range. Broke, Or... - 10/10/2019 8:06:15 AM   
Dimitris

Fixed for a future update.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 9
RE: Investigate Contacts Within Weapon Range. Broke, Or... - 10/10/2019 5:58:33 PM   
Scorpion86

[Happy noises]

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [FIXED] Investigate Contacts Within Weapon Range. Broke, Or Not? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI