Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer - 7/25/2019 7:59:55 PM   
Hellen_slith

Near the end of February 1942 now, the Soviets are beginning to run out of soldiers to throw in to the meat grinder. I pushed everything into the fray for Elmer, except for the two or three Shock armies who are holding back until the thaw (and the NKVD who are making sure the meat gets pushed into the grinder.)

Bryansk has fallen (back to the Soviets). AGS is out of supply and in deep trouble. A huge gap lies b/w AGS and AGC but the Soviets just don't have the resources to be able to exploit that...yet. AGN is beginning to crack. I figure there must be at least two or three thousand German artillery pieces that are propping up AGC at the moment.

What a slaughter!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 91
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer - 7/26/2019 5:42:44 AM   
StuccoFresco

Bryiansk looks really weak now.

Post #: 92
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer - 7/26/2019 4:03:47 PM   
Hellen_slith

Here's a closer look at Bryansk / AGC and the German railheads. The red rail lines are already constructed, the purple lines are planned construction.

Reinforcements gas up in Minsk, then proceed to the Dnepr, then across to try to extend that line. Currently gassing up that 12th Panzer Div. and the three infantry divisions to head southeast and extend the line being established by 2d Pz Armee.

Farther south, the Hungarians / Italians / Rumanians were pretty much cut to pieces, but they are getting reinforcements ready to set up a new line southeast of Kiev.

Soviets are almost static now. They've used up most of their mojo taking back Orel, Bryansk, and Velikiye Luki. But with any luck, Germans will be able to launch a counter-counter offensive after the next muddy season. Going to be a long summer.

Not sure if or when I'll let Elmer have another go at it ... I'm having too much fun with it!

PS: if anyone knows, what are the off-map Soviet units up in the upper right corner? I think they are called "Initiative E" right now, and they seem to have changed colors / icons. But I can't move them, and if I disband them they just re-appear. Just curious! Is that some kind of indication about what objective tracks Elmer would be following? They were tan and green colored and said "Initiative C" a few turns ago I think, now they are tan and blue colored and say, Initiative E? Any hints? Thanks! Fun game! PPS I forget which version of D21 I am doing, it is an older version that came with the disk. Ok, back to it! Will try to advance the game time into April / May 1942 this weekend.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 93
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer - 7/26/2019 4:38:24 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

what are the off-map Soviet units up in the upper right corner?

They are Not In Play, they are from an ancient time, they have been removed from later versions, disbanding them may affect initiative switches, try to ignore them

Post #: 94
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer - 8/2/2019 4:48:20 PM   
Hellen_slith

Not much change, except for the Germans building RR and massing reinforcements for what will become Case Blau I think. Soviets are worn out. Snow is beginning to melt.

On the PO front: I tried to let Elmer have a go, and I guess the computer overheated b/c it crashed after about five minutes of the discs and fans whizzing around like it was going to take off like a whirlybird. I think it overheated and it CTD. SO, I decided to take a look again at trying to "finesse" the PO. Managed to finally set all Sov units to "manual", and started to test out w/ the Soviet 11th Army.

So, it ran fine with only one formation to do with, but here is question I hope you can help me with. On the "formation path" here, we see the red line, and it runs all the way up the map to the Northwest front, then it turn blue to the west. What I would ideally like to do, is edit the formation path "on the fly" but I don't see how that can be done. Would I have to open the game in the editor to change the formation paths? Will that work "mid game" and I can change it and still be on turn 79? Or is that something you can only do from before turn 1?

Ok, well, thanks for your help! In the meantime, I can let Elmer do one formation at a time, and it runs fine, but I would like to be able to adjust the formation paths if possible.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 95
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer - 8/2/2019 5:00:41 PM   
sPzAbt653

You cannot edit a game that you are playing

[Well, technically you can, but that is for testing purposes only as the scenario will be unplayable]

You can change Formation Objectives by finding the Elmer Assist button. I don't know where it is in the New Age UI, in the Original UI we click in the Blank Space above the Mini-Map, this will allow you to change Objectives. Watch the Majic Bar at the bottom of the screen for helpful hints.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 96
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer - 8/2/2019 5:18:22 PM   
Hellen_slith

Thank you! I find that in the Elmer mode, when the purple bar is on the units, then if you right click on the map when the little cross hairs are visible, it will let you set / add / remove the objectives!! Thanks a million! Will experiment with this some more.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 97
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer - 8/3/2019 3:21:17 PM   
Hellen_slith

Well, my TOAW computer has crashed and it seems irrecoverable, so I will have to abandon this game. Thanks for following along and I appreciate all of your kind helps.

PS: w/re/to the Soviet RR repairs, it seems to have started auto-repairing some hexes / rails that I took back from the Germans over the last few moves, at least around Leningrad. So there's that.

Me sad. I was just starting to get into fooling around w/ the PO. Ok, well, see you all again if / when I ever am able to re-install TOAW and play the game again. Unfortunately, this little laptop would not be able to handle it.

Thanks again!

Post #: 98
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer - 8/3/2019 5:34:11 PM   
sPzAbt653

The Soviet Auto-Repairs are listed in the Situation Report. How many they get, I mean.

Let me know before you restart, if you don't mind. I've got a later version that I might give you.

EDIT: Sorry to hear about the crash. About nothing could be more irritating these days. Hope everything was backed up!

< Message edited by sPzAbt653 -- 8/3/2019 5:35:36 PM >

Post #: 99
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer - 8/3/2019 6:25:42 PM   
Hellen_slith

HAH well of COURSE nothing was backed up, except to the same hard drive that has gone belly up. Not sure what happened, but now the disc goes "cli-cli-CLICK, cli-cli-CLIK, cli-cli-CLIK" about 10 times, and then just a black screen.

I can get to BIOS but switching boot sequences was no help. The "hard power down for restart three times to get to safe mode" in Win10 did not work. So I guess the hard drive has failed. Is asking for a recovery boot disk, but that was packed away somewhere 10 years ago. So, oh well. Que sera. I might try another computer I have w/ 4 gigs of ram, just kind of downed right now, b/c I'd have to the download again etc. Bright side, a clean slate whenever it gets done.

Anyway, final thoughts: a fun scene to play. I turned Elmer off when it was getting the inter-turn freeze around move 30. Every time I turned Elmer back on, the discs and fan just went crazy spinning, and heat spiked (that's why I think it CTD that last time, from heat), and I tried switching to just one or two formations for Elmer to slowly build it back up.

Was sad that I had just got to April '42 and snow was melting and I was building a new German offensive just as the Soviets got tired out.

Well, thanks for making this scene, I had a lot of fun playing it while the computer lasted. I will definitely try the latest version next time.

Ok, well, thanks again! Cheers! PS if anyone wants to take over my CSV game (it is on turn 24) let me know and I will let my opp know, I am sure he would appreciate an opponent taking over for me. I will send a password to you if anyone is interested in taking over for that one.

I will post a "Seeking replacement player" in the games section, if you will email me I will send pword. It is mrblonde's move.

Thanks again!!

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 100
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer - 8/3/2019 6:31:35 PM   
larryfulkerson

MY hard disk crashed about 6 months ago and so I feel your pain. Sorry as hell that this is happening to you. Just take it like water on a duck's back and keep going as you're able I guess. No hurry. Just do what you can.

Thailand is the world's biggest producer of rubber.

Post #: 101
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer - 8/3/2019 7:49:31 PM   
Hellen_slith

LoL yeah, is no problem, I have actually been expecting the crash for a while b/c the rig is 10 years old. I can only hope that this laptop keeps going (it is only 8 years old LoL) and I am already scoping out how to get an even older desktop I have up to speed w/ TOAW. Is crummy that I still have to do a download, I mean, for the moneys I paid I should have gotten an updated disc in the mail but I understand why they don't do that. I hate downloading stuff.

Anyway, during this down time, I am going to make an effort to plan making a scene, which I've been wanting to do for a long time. Thus my post about asking for hints about how best to get ready to do all the real work w/in the design engine once I've got a solid basis for it in background work / notes / sketches etc. Things like what kind of map to use, what the OOB should look like, colors I want to make the chits, any events I might want to try ... so, it is all good, I just have to switch brain tracks for a while.

The thing that really gets my goat is that I have had to abandon the email games I had going, and one server game I had going. I hate to let those guys down. If anyone can do me a flavor and pick up w/ the new guy who has reports set to Japanese, I think we should make an effort to pick up on that Fulda scene with him that he wants to play, but it is on the slitherine server so naturally I don't want to give my password for that one. We were only on move 3, so a restart should be easy enough. We need to keep all the players we can get!

Ok, well, I have happy juice and aromas to keep me going in the meantime. I just want the guys whom I've had to abandon to have replacements. I feel baddest about that.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 102
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI