Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer - 2/26/2019 11:32:58 PM   
Hellen_slith

Hello, this is my first try at an AAR so kindly forgive any missteps.

Trying to post a picture of AGS preparing to cross the Sula River, driving toward Kharkov. Here is the pic (I hope):

... oh well, I guess it doesn't work. Sorry!

< Message edited by Hellen -- 3/11/2019 12:51:31 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 29 - 2/26/2019 11:57:55 PM   
Lobster

On your post are two phrases at the bottom. First click the check box by 'Embed picture in post'. Then click on 'Click here to upload'. From there it's just follow the prompts. Click 'Choose File'. Find the file on your computer and select it. Click on open. Then click the OK button in the little 'Choose File' window. And voila. It's in your post.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 29 - 2/27/2019 12:03:08 AM   
Hellen_slith

trying again: Engineers finally got on their horse, many bridges.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 29 - 2/27/2019 12:04:15 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hellen

Hello, this is my first try at an AAR so kindly forgive any missteps.

Trying to post a picture of AGS preparing to cross the Sula River, driving toward Kharkov. Here is the pic (I hope):

... oh well, I guess it doesn't work. Sorry!

If at first you don't succeed, try try again. A stitch in time saves nine. Don't piss in the wind.

"Am I in hell? I thought there would be more country western music."
Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 4
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 29 - 2/27/2019 12:54:28 AM   
Hellen_slith

Here is the Moscow front as of turn 29:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 29 - 2/27/2019 1:02:09 AM   
Hellen_slith

Leningrad. Not so good here, my learning curve resulted in a fractured AGN ... but I am knocking on the door.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 29 - 2/27/2019 1:09:05 AM   
Hellen_slith

So, in a nutshell: as of Axis turn 29 (Sept. 29th?) AGS has finally gotten up some steam. AGC is knocking on the door of Moscow (hoping to swing the armored up to assist all the infantry pushing along the highway there) but AGN is pretty fractured ... Elmer has kept me away from Leningrad pretty much, but he seems to use a pretty thin defense all around, so I am hoping to push toward a significant victory w/in the next few turns. Of course, it is going to be a long slog to hold on to it, once the Soviets get their production going, but I am confident that I can hold out for a good while. We shall see. This has been a fun learning exercise for me, and I thank you all for your kind patience and helps! Cheers!

Post #: 7
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 29 - 2/28/2019 8:34:23 PM   
larryfulkerson

So um...Damon dude....it's been about 48 hours now and no update. What's happening? How are the losses? Pictures please.

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 8
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 29 - 3/10/2019 9:54:00 PM   
Hellen_slith

Directive 21 has finally cycled. Here is what I did to finally get the game back in gear (at least for Directive 21 ... while I was trying to fix it, I played some FiTE. Finally, today, I got it to cycle, albeit with a "cease fire" for two turns....)

At the end of Axix turn 30, Elmer moved twice (he got two turns in a row). Then the game would not cycle through Axis air ... it kept crashing in various ways (froze many times, crashed to game menu once ...)

So, prior to cycling Axis turn 30, I did the following in "Set Advanced Player Options":

BACKGROUND VOLUME : 1
EFFECTS VOLUME: 1
SitRep Log: OFF
TOAW Log: OFF

From the game drop down menu:

MUSIC EFFECTS: OFF
BATTLEGROUND SOUNDS: OFF
MAP VIEW: ULTRA TINY

Also, I killed the Line Info, Micro Map, Unit Buttons, Air Report (so that I had just the map in ultra tiny mode.)

END AXIS TURN 30

Begin SOVIET TURN 30 and turned Elmer OFF.
END SOVIET TURN 30 ... Begin Soviet turn 31.
Elmer is still off. End Soviet turn 31.

Game cycled. It is now Axis turn 31. So, whether all that actually helped or not, I'm not sure, but at least the game is now playable again, after a short cease fire...both in real time, and game time.

Cheers! Will post again once I move the Axis again. Keeping my fingers crossed that whatever "fix" occurred, that it "sticks". (Oh, of course I also killed all background processes that were not TOAW related, and also turned off the internet .......)

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 9
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 29 - 3/10/2019 10:53:28 PM   
larryfulkerson

Good for you. That sounds like your procedure has probably fixed whatever the gamestopper was. Congratulations dude. I'm impressed. How much RAM do you have and is it possible to turn your background processes on again? Is it running slowly at any point, like it might be using your virtual disk? Enquiring minds want to know.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/10/2019 10:54:14 PM >

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 10
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 29 - 3/11/2019 12:59:27 AM   
Hellen_slith

Well, I just got through running it through some paces. I forgot to mention, I also turned NoDelay = ON. Whatever I did ... Elmer finishes his turn now in only two or three minutes (before, it took 10 minutes or more.)

I suspect it was the TOAW Log and the animation being on slow. Anyway, it is buzzing right along again. I have 16 gigs of ram, and I don't use any processes anyway, so it's all good now.

Unfortunately ... when I started again, I decided to "skip" the turn I got when it finally cycled (so as not to take advantage of stopping Elmer from moving on his turn prior.) And ... most of the German Army decided to go AWOL! My forces were cut by about 30%, I'd say, and at the same time, the rains came, Smolensk ran out of supplies, and another 25% or so of all my formations decided they would rebel and have a little Sitzkrieg (protesting lack of supplies and raincoats, I guess. Ingrates.) At least the Rumanians stuck around!

Here is Moscow now ... some "orange" on units all up and down, from Leningrad to Chernaski. Luckily, Elmer also seemed to have some problems with the mud, so there's that.

I escaped disaster ... barely. Axis Turn 33 coming up; some reinforcements showed up, and maybe the rain will let up a bit I hope.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 11
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 29 - 3/11/2019 1:07:28 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

... most of the German Army decided to go AWOL! My forces were cut by about 30%.....

Jesus, Joseph, and Mary in a chicken basket. WTF happened to them? Were they withdrawn recently?
Did you have any warning about their withdrawl? Were they all a similar kind of unit? Like, all the
obsolete armor equipment being replaced with newer models or something?

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 12
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 29 - 3/11/2019 1:41:40 AM   
Hellen_slith

Not sure, at first I thought I was confused by having played a few turns of FiTE in the mean time (most of those have HQ and three units for the most part).

Here, in D21 now, I have only ONE unit attached to most of the Division size HQs for most of the army ... only 900 chits are on the board now (before, I think it was something like 1200 or 1400.) So, it was either withdrawals that I just didn't see, or units abandoned (I think I read in the manual, that units can abandon if they get too low on supply for too long ... but that seem unlikely, b/c of the regularity across the board of units that seem "missing" now.)

Not sure, maybe I'm just not remembering right from being away from it for two weeks, or am just confused from playing FiTE, but it sure seems like a lot of folks are missing! I can look at some old saves to double check, that will show if they are really "missing" now, or if I am just confused. Probably just confused. Getting it working again was a real brain buster. I'll check the OOB in the morning.

Post #: 13
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 29 - 3/11/2019 5:38:47 AM   
sPzAbt653

Noticed it looks like you might be playing with Variable Initiative ON. I would suggest turning it OFF. This won't affect anything you have discussed, but the scenario will play much better because the first player will remain Axis for every turn [instead of switching].

Post #: 14
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 29 - 3/11/2019 12:48:23 PM   
Hellen_slith

Thanks, will do that. I was just confused about the OOB. The units are all there, I just had to switch my brain back to D21. Here is Leningrad now...slowing getting through. Also, a pic of the supply situation from there to Chernaski ... not a drop of gas or food to be found anywhere, only the mobile supply units are keeping small sections going. And, a look at the front via the "ultra tiny" view that I set it too for Elmer's move. Watching it is not unlike watching an email game playback. Thanks again for the tip about the variable initiative, I will turn that off!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 15
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 29 - 3/11/2019 12:48:54 PM   
Hellen_slith

Supply situation: GRIM.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 16
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 29 - 3/11/2019 12:49:28 PM   
Hellen_slith

The front, as of Axis 33:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 17
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 29 - 3/11/2019 10:06:39 PM   
Hellen_slith

Axis turn 35: Good news, Bad news.

Good news: 60th Motorized (AGS) has captured Zaporozhe, a Soviet production area, with help from the Hungarians.

Bad news: game has reverted back to same "interturn" freeze, following Elmer's turn 35 attempt in response.

Proposed stop-gap solution: I will take over Elmer's Soviet turn 35, see if that gets it over the hump. If so, I'll let Elmer give it another go following Axis turn 36. <sigh>

Attachment (1)

Post #: 18
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 29 - 3/12/2019 1:13:16 AM   
larryfulkerson

Sorry you're having problems with your game. Have you tried running TOAW IV in compatability mode?

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 19
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 29 - 3/12/2019 4:52:25 PM   
Hellen_slith

Just did, I set compatibility mode to Win7 (only b/c that's what I used to run ACOW on.) I also set "Support PNG Graphics?" to OFF. Ran like a champ ... no black screens (even when moving trains and planes across multiple screen) and no messages of "Not Responding". I have not yet finished the move, but so far, all is well ... for the Soviets.

This is the first time I've looked at what Elmer's been up to, and I think he is a bit too cautious. So, I helped him out. Air superiority is becoming more balanced, so I moved some air units from the Far East back to the front. Here is Leningrad now, from the Soviet POV. Will show Moscow next.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 20
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Soviets 36 - 3/12/2019 4:54:15 PM   
Hellen_slith

And here is Moscow. Axis is in a bind now. Going to be a long winter for them!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 21
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer - 3/12/2019 8:30:10 PM   
Hellen_slith

Just gave Elmer his chance to do Soviets 37, running in Win7 compatibility mode. Not a single "black screen". Not one instance of the message "Not Responding". The computer fan is running normally again, as are the discs. The inter-turn phase now zips through in less than 30 seconds, instead of minutes or freezing.

So, it seems to be functioning now as it should. Not much else to report ... AGN and AGC remain stuck, waiting on supplies, although I have managed to inch a few more divisions toward Leningrad.

In the south: crawling slowly toward Kharkov. Thanks for the helps!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 22
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 38 - 3/13/2019 10:39:56 PM   
Hellen_slith

So close ... and yet so far. You can't see it, but heavy thunderstorms cover almost every hex in this shot. Those planes aren't going to be doing much, or can they? Does weather have a lot of effect on air missions? Also, does the supply point being in reorg (not sure why it should be, it has not been in combat. Manual says reorg is for units recovering from combat.) Or is there another reason it might be in reorg status?

Also, Elmo has reinforcements railed in onto the seemingly empty rail hexes, ready to disembark. I had to put them there for him, he was using his rail to put Flak and Engineers all over the place, so I helped him out. Thanks!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 23
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 38 - 3/14/2019 1:51:41 AM   
sPzAbt653

Yellow Band = Garrison Mode. What does the Unit Report say about the Nachsch units?

Post #: 24
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 38 - 3/14/2019 3:00:20 AM   
Edwire

Nice AAR ! I find the Soviet Baltic Fleet a pain to deal with.

I think the mobile supply unit went to garrison mode during the mud, and after that, they should be able to move again.

Curious how the Winter will be, keep it going !

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 25
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 38 - 3/14/2019 11:47:09 AM   
Hellen_slith

OH! Ok, I thought the yellow stripes were just like a better status than orange, I see now in the manual it means garrison mode as result of scenario event or scenario setting. The unit report just says "reorganizing". So maybe when the rain is not so rainy, or a certain time on game clock they will be back to movable. Thank you!

Yes, the scene is fun to play, not so big (like FiTE) and once I got the map in mind, and the OOB sketched out in my mind (and the computer in Win7 mode!) it is going pretty quick now. Hope it get a few turns in today, I too want to see how cold it going to get, and whether I can get into Leningrad. I finally got some more divisions up there next turn, and the two supply points I luckily got up there help. I think there are about 14 divisions knocking on the door there...with four or five more divisions well supplied and on the way. We shall see!

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 26
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Axis 38 - 3/14/2019 11:53:36 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

The unit report just says "reorganizing".

Thanks for checking. I suspect that it should report something other than 'reorganizing' as that is misleading, but it's been that way since the beginning of time so maybe there is a reason for it.

The Nachsch {Supply] units always go into Garrison during the Mud turns.

Post #: 27
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Soviets 39 - 3/14/2019 9:50:57 PM   
Hellen_slith

Sure, I just didn't know about garrison mode (that's why I was confused!) Anyway, here is Kharkov Front.

from the Soviet POV and after I helped Elmer out. Note the Soviet Tank Corps gearing up for an encounter.

Those are T-34s / KV1s / and T-60s. Not sure exactly how many (I didn't count) but it will be interesting to see how they do if we can get an armored clash going early on.

Axis has only now been able to cross the Psel River with a few infantry divisions (too muddy). Axis armor is situated right now around Sumy and Vorozhba, out of gas.

I expect Axis forces will take at least one or two weeks (game time) to reach a line running through Bogodukhov to Krasnograd (line shown) just because of the mud and supply situation for Axis. So there are at least three or more turns for the Soviet Kharkov front to prepare.

I wonder if it will snow soon? I don't think the Axis brought any cold weather gear. Does it snow down there around Kharkov?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 28
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Soviets 39 - 3/15/2019 9:28:07 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

I wonder if it will snow soon? I don't think the Axis brought any cold weather gear. Does it snow down there around Kharkov?

I can't remember if it does snow down there or not but I think it does. I'm pretty sure the rivers freeze over too. Enabling movement across the water.

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 29
RE: AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Soviets 39 - 3/15/2019 9:51:24 PM   
Hellen_slith

Ah, ok. I just checked the environment for Kharkov, and it does get pretty cold there. Field Marshall Von Leeb just showed up around Leningrad with a couple of fresh divisions. I hope they brought snow shoes!! I did see in my game that a cold front is moving in, expecting snow in Leningrad in the next few turns, so it is going to be interesting there (at least to me ... I barely managed to save the supply net for Leningrad ... trying to fix AGS supply net now.) I'm not doing as well as historically happened ... failed to get a siege upon Leningrad, failed to get to Kharkov, have failed to take Tusla (sp?) Maybe I am helping Elmer too much, but I can't help it, I want to learn the Soviets, too, so I have been moving for Elmer the last few turns.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> AAR D21 Hellen v. Computer Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI