Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

GG's WitW D-Day Scenario Description is Inaccurate

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Tech Support >> GG's WitW D-Day Scenario Description is Inaccurate Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
GG's WitW D-Day Scenario Description is Inaccurate - 2/22/2019 9:38:35 PM   
jsetear

The scenario description that you get when you select the D-Day Campaign from the list of scenarios says that the scenario is 62 turns long, lasting until August of 1945. The Victory Points screen accessible through the Map Info tab and the "star" button likewise states that the scenario is 62 turns, lasting until August of 1945.

All ten or so times that I have played, however, the scenario has ended after 50 turns, with the May 15, 1945 turn.

Also, at the end of the game, the Victory Point screen assesses a -200 late ending penalty. Since, at least to me, the scenario seems to be ending early, not late, this seems odd.

I may have missed a setting somewhere that lets the game run until August of 1945. If so, I apologize. Even if I have missed something, however, I would still note the potential problem with the late ending penalty described in the paragraph above.

Post #: 1
RE: GG's WitW D-Day Scenario Description is Inaccurate - 2/22/2019 10:29:45 PM   
Joel Billings

The game should be able to go as late as August 45. However, when playing with East Front off, the game will end on the first May 45 turn (Soviets capture Berlin). With EF on, the game may end before the WA gets to Berlin if the Soviet East Front line advances to the point where Berlin is assumed to have fallen. That's probably what's happening in your games (although it's odd that it's always on May 15). You could attach a save file or email one to 2by3@2by3games.com and I can look and see what's going on. Ideally send me one a turn or two before the game ends.

Info for this and VPs, can be found in section 25.1.2. Part of it reads:

When not using the East Front control option (23.1.1), campaign scenarios will end either immediately when Berlin is captured by the Allies, or at the beginning of the first turn in May 1945 (Berlin is assumed to have been captured by the Soviets by that time). When using the East Front control option (23.1.2), campaign scenarios will end during the Allied turn when Berlin is captured, at the beginning of the turn that Berlin has fallen to the Soviets, or at the beginning of the first turn in August 1945.

If a campaign scenario goes past April 1945, the Western Allies will incur a VP penalty. Starting with the first turn in May 1945, for each additional turn the game lasts, the Allied player will lose 100 victory points.
In addition, the Allies will score 75 points per turn for each turn the game ends early.

Basically the game considers Berlin captured after the historical date as being "late" for VP purposes.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to jsetear)
Post #: 2
RE: GG's WitW D-Day Scenario Description is Inaccurate - 3/14/2019 1:19:09 PM   
jsetear

Thanks for your patient and comprehensive answer.

The "East Front Control" box is checked under the German column on the Game Options page. I am using the AI to run the Germans. So I assume that this is "playing with East Front on."

Given that, everything else in your explanation makes sense -- the VP penalty, when the game ends, etc. I appreciate the offer of sending a file, but I don't see the need.

In terms of May 15 seeming to be the date that things end, maybe the AI is pretty consistent with its allocations to the Eastern Front? Or I may have mis-remembered "many" as "always." If time permit, I will go through my play-throughs and see if I can get more exact date.

Again, thanks.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Tech Support >> GG's WitW D-Day Scenario Description is Inaccurate Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI