Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WIN10 sound issues ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> WIN10 sound issues ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/18/2019 4:39:57 AM   
larryfulkerson

I was doing my moves just now and noticed that I had no sound effects and
every time I try to turn on the background battle sounds the screen locks
up and the program stops responding. Same thing happens when I try to turn
on both background music and battle sounds. I tried to run it in compatability
mode as if it were WIN7 and that didn't work either. Hint: I have changed
the Opart 4.ini file contents and the Opart 4 FONTS.ini as well.
I guess I changed something that has broken my sound output and I have no idea what it
is or how to fix it.

EDIT: I'm running WIN10

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 2/18/2019 4:40:47 AM >

"Am I in hell? I thought there would be more country western music."
Paulogia, 2019
Post #: 1
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/18/2019 5:42:56 AM   
zakblood

normally the error comes when you have more than one set of drivers for sound,

like having a Realtek High Definition Audio chip onboard, and then updating to Nvidia latest drivers, which overwrites some of the sound drivers if you let it, so games, some not all have no idea on which one you want to use, but could be something else, without a report i'm guessing again tbh i'm sorry to say,

How to get a DirectX Diagnostic file:

1. click on "START"
2. click "run"
3. type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments rather than pasted into the body of the post.

once the report has been made, just attach it to your post as it's a Txt file which is then permitted to attach to the forum.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 2
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/18/2019 6:01:08 AM   
Franciscus

Hi Larry

Try In the opart4.ini file putting oldsound=Y

Regards

Former AJE team member

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/18/2019 10:39:34 AM   
Shadrach

If the above don't work, backup the .ini files and then delete them. The game should recreate them on startup.

This should let you start with a clean slate if ini changes are to blame.

If the sounds are still messed up the the ini is not the issue, so copy them back.
Having to reset font settings is a lot of work, but I really doubt changes in the fonts file would cause sound to fail.

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 4
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/18/2019 4:37:11 PM   
tcarusil

My issue is that sometimes my units move without any sound. Most of the time there is sound, but occasionally I get nada. I am using a sound mod and it worked fine prior to upgrading to WIN10. Thoughts?

Thanks

TomC

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 5
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/18/2019 4:56:40 PM   
VPaulus

Like Zak told, if you have upgraded to Windows 10(and not performed a fresh Windows install) try to check if you can download new sound drivers for your sound card/chip.

(in reply to tcarusil)
Post #: 6
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/18/2019 11:23:40 PM   
tcarusil

My mistake. Should have said fresh install. That in and of it self was a real trip. I'll see if I have a driver issue. Thanks.

TomC

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 7
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/18/2019 11:32:59 PM   
tcarusil

I hope I did the dxdiag correctly.

TomC

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 8
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/19/2019 4:42:02 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's my DXDIAG.TXT file. I haven't even looked at it yet. I think I'm going to try to replace my Reltek sound card driver.

Attachment (1)

"Am I in hell? I thought there would be more country western music."
Paulogia, 2019

(in reply to tcarusil)
Post #: 9
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/19/2019 5:05:17 PM   
zakblood

you only have one part install of the drivers for realtec etc, so all it says in the report is speakers etc, not for any other part, so either missing or not installed correctly

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 10
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/19/2019 10:10:21 PM   
Shadrach

Well TBH, I have no idea what Zak means here, as your (Larry's) report clearly says:
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
"Speakers" is just what Windows calls the device.

I see nothing wrong with the drivers, they say:

Driver Version: 6.00.0001.8536 (English)
Date and Size: 9/11/2018 12:00:00 AM, 6380600 bytes

These are newer drivers than I have (6.00.0001.7535) so I just assume you have a newer version of the chipset on your machine. There's probably zillions of different Realtek chipsets out there, and practically impossible for users to figure out what drivers they need.

Realtek audio devices are included on the motherboard, and I wouldn't try to download any drivers from anywhere out there - lots of shady sites, use only the Windows supplied drivers. Realtek's official site doesn't even offer the drivers anymore, I looked.

In your "tray" area you should have a (Brown?) speaker icon with the name "Realtek HD Audio Manager". Double-click this and check if it shows any issues.
Set Environment Effects and Equalizer to "None" (because they suck...), and check the "Default format" tab. It should be 16bits, 44100Hz.

One thing to test first: Are you able to play back the .ogg audio files from "The Operational Art of War IV\Sound" directory? Probably WMP will open, and if you can hear audio it would be strange if something is wrong with your drivers at all.

But a good test anyway would be to try to update the drivers manually, or uninstall/reinstall.
- Open Device Manager (search it in Start)
- Find "Realtek High Definition Audio" under "Sound, video and game controllers".
- Right-click the device, first try "Update driver", then "search automatically".
- Let it work and restart your computer.

If this doesn't work, go back into Device manager.
- Uninstall the device
- Reboot computer
- Open device manager
- Windows should have automatically found the device on boot and installed the drivers, if not right-click and scan for hardware changes.

Also, in device manager look for yellow alerts on devices, this means missing/wrong drivers, always a good idea to make sure all are clear of warnings.

TOAW uses the (ancient) Audiere DLL libraries for audio playback I think, so there might be an some issue there between the game and your system somehow - DLL Hell maybe?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLL_Hell

< Message edited by Shadrach -- 2/19/2019 10:32:21 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 11
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/19/2019 10:21:28 PM   
Shadrach

TomC: You have a "generic" audio device, it might be Realtek (probably is), but Windows is using the generic device drivers:
Driver Name: HdAudio.sys
Driver Version: 10.00.17134.0001 (English)

But the same applies to you, try to update or uninstall/reinstall the device in Device Manager.

When updating the driver, you can try to choose "Browse my computer...", then "Let me pick...". If you see Realtek or a specific driver there instead of the generic "High Definition Audio Device" try those drivers instead.

You also have an "older" release of Windows, Build 17134 (April 2018), it might be an idea to run Windows Update to get the latest build.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 12
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/20/2019 9:28:35 PM   
tcarusil

Thank you for the information. I am surprised I have an April build of Windows. I just did a fresh install in December and ran it for updates. I will run it again, and see what happens.

TomC

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 13
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/21/2019 10:36:46 PM   
tcarusil

I have updated to the latest build of Windows. "My Devices" does not offer Realtek as an option. I have High Definition Audio and NVIDIA High Definition Audio as options.

I did some experimenting. I happened to move a unit its entire movement allowance and there was no sound. I undid the move and moved only a part of its movement allowance and there was sound. I undid that move and moved the full allowance and there was sound. Undid again and moved part of the allowance and there was no sound. I am not sure what this means but it seems to indicate that there is some sort of randomness to the lack of sound. Anyway, for what its worth. I will keep poking around.

TomC

(in reply to tcarusil)
Post #: 14
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/22/2019 2:14:45 PM   
Shadrach

Well, TOAW4 sound playback has several issues even when working, I assume due to the old Audiere decoder. For instance, the first time a unit is moved after game load, it will pause for a noticeable time to first load the sound into memory. Which IMO should be unnecessary, as the sound files in the game take up ~50MB and should be just loaded into memory on startup instead of on-demand. But that's probably caused by the devs knowing some people will always run this game on older hardware.

I had a look at your device IDs on this site:
https://devicehunt.com/search/type/pci/vendor/10EC/device/0899
You get these values from the string "Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0899&SUBSYS_18491898&REV_1000" in DxDiag.

Basically it says your card is Realtek. However there might be a good reason it uses the generic driver only, maybe Windows doesn't have a specific driver for that exact card.

This is what it looks like for me, as you can see I can choose the Realtek driver instead of the generic one:

Also while looking around I found this UNOFFICAL Realtek driver page:
https://www.realtek.cz/realtek-audio-devices.html
According to that page, your device (0899) is a model ALC899, which you can find on this page:
https://www.realtek.cz/realtek-audio-drivers.html

I don't really trust unoffical sites for drivers, there's a lot of scams out there. And it's a slow download. Always good to do a virus scan of the file after such downloads.

< Message edited by Shadrach -- 2/22/2019 2:23:23 PM >

(in reply to tcarusil)
Post #: 15
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/22/2019 2:23:35 PM   
zakblood

you have a picture in colour and my answer and reply was as clear as black and white, the user shows two sound drivers shown

as per my forum post,

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4491486

dated 6/7/2018 and tbh i've mentioned it before elsewhere X numbers of times tbh

don't i repeat don't load Nvidia sound drivers over the top of realtec ones, unless you wish to have issues with some games, it's that simple.

and only use the official site for windows 10 drivers, where you will always be able to get the version latest, and one's which work fully with windows 10, plus supported and tested, unlike 3rd party ones from who knows where

old picture now so it also shows older dated drivers, but link is still the same and no you don't need to type it all either

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 2/22/2019 2:26:26 PM >

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 16
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/22/2019 2:29:47 PM   
zakblood

updating the sound driver from in side windows doesn't also give you the latest one, and always add and remove before adding new, to make sure the old one and or any of the older bits are removed first, you may have some fun removing the Nvidia one's mind you, as most of it will be a manual remove after the uninstaller has done and you have rebooted, but hay ho, mine works, information not my own either, it from not just years of experience but from plenty of online sources.

quote:

Realtek. However there might be a good reason it uses the generic driver only, maybe Windows doesn't have a specific driver for that exact card.

most won't have a sound card and i'd guess that will be true for more than 99% of users who have it, just a sound chip attached to the motherboard, sounds card with Realtek chips are rare, very rare.

< Message edited by zakblood -- 2/22/2019 2:32:39 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 17
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/22/2019 2:41:05 PM   
Shadrach

Zak: It would help if you actually posted the URL instead of just a screenshot of the page maybe?
Also I assume it's been a while since you actually tried to visit that site?

quote:

don't i repeat don't load Nvidia sound drivers over the top of realtec ones, unless you wish to have issues with some games, it's that simple

This is just plain false. If Windows detects two devices capable of audio output it will install drivers for both. That's why it shows TWO devices, one Realtek, one NVidia. It has absolutely nothing to do with "overwriting" drivers - which in fact can *never* happen when installing drivers on any modern OS.

Doing a "Clean Install" of NVidia drivers as per your post is sometimes recommended for users having problems with their *NVIDIA* audio drivers. None of the users above have NVidia audio devices listed in DXDiag. The screenshot is from my (working) computer.

EDIT as per your next post: "Card" is sometimes used interchangeably with onboard devices for simplicity. The correct term would be "controller" which is what Windows sees, but no-one uses that.

< Message edited by Shadrach -- 2/22/2019 2:44:12 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 18
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/22/2019 2:41:19 PM   
zakblood

my reply was also to tcarusil, haven't looked at anyone else's and also as he hasn't come back, just assumed it worked tbh

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 19
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/22/2019 2:42:44 PM   
zakblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shadrach

Zak: It would help if you actually posted the URL instead of just a screenshot of the page maybe?
Also I assume it's been a while since you actually tried to visit that site?

quote:

don't i repeat don't load Nvidia sound drivers over the top of realtec ones, unless you wish to have issues with some games, it's that simple

This is just plain false. If Windows detects two devices capable of audio output it will install drivers for both. That's why it shows TWO devices, one Realtek, one NVidia. It has absolutely nothing to do with "overwriting" drivers - which in fact can *never* happen when installing drivers on any modern OS.

Doing a "Clean Install" of NVidia drivers as per your post is sometimes recommended for users having problems with their *NVIDIA* audio drivers. None of the users above have NVidia audio devices listed in DXDiag. The screenshot is from my (working) computer.

crossed wires i'm sorry to say, have no idea on your report, not looked yet i'm sorry to say, my reply and now extra replies was to the user mentioned above, sorry

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 20
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/22/2019 2:44:20 PM   
zakblood

regarding the others one, just looked, it has one line only

quote:

Description: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

and nothing else

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 21
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/22/2019 2:45:36 PM   
zakblood

so where's

Description: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)

or input for that matter?

Line In (Realtek High Definition Audio)

so imo a part install, as 3 lines are missing?

Sound Capture Devices empty

this is what it should look like,

quote:

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0887&SUBSYS_10438445&REV_1003
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.8186 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 14/06/2017 00:00:00, 5826560 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Basic
Cap Flags: 0xF1F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0887&SUBSYS_10438445&REV_1003
Product ID: 100
Date and Size: 14/06/2017 00:00:00, 5826560 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Description: TOSHIBA-TV (High Definition Audio Device)
Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0072&SUBSYS_10DE116F&REV_1001
Product ID: 65535
Driver Name: HdAudio.sys
Driver Version: 10.00.17763.0001 (English)
Date and Size: 14/09/2018 00:00:00, 398336 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Microsoft

---------------------
Sound Capture Devices
---------------------
Description: Line In (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Default Sound Capture: Yes
Default Voice Capture: Yes
Date and Size: 6/29/2017 17:52:00, 5826560 bytes
Cap Flags: 0x1
Format Flags: 0xFFFFF

without the tv part

< Message edited by zakblood -- 2/22/2019 2:49:15 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 22
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/22/2019 3:01:52 PM   
Shadrach

If you are talking about the "DxDiag Notes" section, it will list one tab per device. So I have three display tabs, and three audio tabs, for three audio outputs connected to two "controllers":
Description: DENON-AVRHD (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)
Description: ROG PG279Q (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)

Your "Realtek Digital Output" device is just the optical (S/PDIF) output on the device, as compared to the usual analog RCA/jack outputs. TomC has the same, it's just called:
"Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)"

Missing sound input devices is not an issue, I *guess* they are not loaded unless something is connected to the input ports (mic for instance). Or they might be disabled manually.

Oh and if you find a working site to download Realtek audio drivers, please post the URL, I guess mine could need an update, in fact the issue might be caused by *newer* drivers, as Larry's ones :)

< Message edited by Shadrach -- 2/22/2019 3:02:33 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 23
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/23/2019 12:07:44 AM   
tcarusil

Gentlemen:

Thank you for your assistance. I went to the Realtek download page https://www.realtek.com/zh-tw/component/zoo/advanced-search/638?Itemid=283 and searched for the ALC 899. Nothing turned up. They only went through the ALC 898.

I do not want to use an unofficial site as the potential for heartburn greatly outweighs the annoyance from occasionally not having sound. I will see what else I might try. Thanks

TomC

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 24
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/23/2019 11:06:47 AM   
Shadrach

I actually think you can trust the realtek.cz site, I downloaded the drivers for my device there and updated the device. I've later rolled them back because I'm more comfortable with the Windows-provided ones.

A trick I've got to know is sometimes it works to rename installer EXE files to 7Z, and open them in 7-Zip. This means you can unpack the drivers to a temp directory, and update your drivers, without having to actually run the supplied installer. But this is for the more braver of souls that do regular OS backups I guess

If you want I can backup my current (Official MS) drivers for Realtek and make them available to you. However not sure if they would work if your device is slightly different.

(in reply to tcarusil)
Post #: 25
RE: WIN10 sound issues ? - 2/24/2019 6:34:14 PM   
tcarusil

Thank you for the offer, but I am afraid of making the problem worse. I can live with intermittent lack of movement sound.

TomC

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> WIN10 sound issues ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI