Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WW2 Warships Ships Still Serving 2019

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> WW2 Warships Ships Still Serving 2019 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WW2 Warships Ships Still Serving 2019 - 2/15/2019 12:19:49 PM   
Trugrit

A couple of interesting videos:

WW2 Warships Ships Still Serving 2019:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nAGbsjM5CE

"Get Off My Bloody Ship” The British Last Stand in Shanghai 1941:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPjS0_nJXdk

Post #: 1
RE: WW2 Warships Ships Still Serving 2019 - 2/15/2019 2:18:25 PM   
spence

I notice that the website included a bunch of former USCG cutters serving in foreign navies which is not surprising since the Coast Guard has always had a bunch of very old ships. But the site does not include in this report and another another called 'more WW2 warships (or some such) serving in 2019': the USCGC Eagle which is the only sailing vessel in commission in the US armed forces (the USCG has fought in every war as the hard core about which the Navy forms in time of war).

While not a real warship it is a commissioned ship of the United States engaged in training cadets from the United States Coast Guard Academy. It actually started 'life' as a German navy ship in 1936 named the Horst Wessel. Supposedly it engaged Soviet aircraft during WW2 before being awarded to the US as a war prize. As a training vessel it has served the USCG Academy since 1946

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 2
RE: WW2 Warships Ships Still Serving 2019 - 2/15/2019 2:44:27 PM   
wegman58

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

I notice that the website included a bunch of former USCG cutters serving in foreign navies which is not surprising since the Coast Guard has always had a bunch of very old ships. But the site does not include in this report and another another called 'more WW2 warships (or some such) serving in 2019': the USCGC Eagle which is the only sailing vessel in commission in the US armed forces (the USCG has fought in every war as the hard core about which the Navy forms in time of war).

While not a real warship it is a commissioned ship of the United States engaged in training cadets from the United States Coast Guard Academy. It actually started 'life' as a German navy ship in 1936 named the Horst Wessel. Supposedly it engaged Soviet aircraft during WW2 before being awarded to the US as a war prize. As a training vessel it has served the USCG Academy since 1946

Last I checked USS CONSTITUTION was still a commissioned vessel of the US.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 3
RE: WW2 Warships Ships Still Serving 2019 - 2/15/2019 7:37:24 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Last I checked USS CONSTITUTION was still a commissioned vessel of the US.

It is.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to wegman58)
Post #: 4
RE: WW2 Warships Ships Still Serving 2019 - 2/15/2019 11:07:11 PM   
spence

Granted that the USS Constitution is still in commission (but it is not in service) so the USCGC Eagle is not the only sailing vessel in commission but it is still in active service as a training vessel. They can make 17-19 kts under sail depending how scary the Captain wants to make it.

When I was a second class the Eagle made it from just off Montauk Point, Long Island to Bermuda in somewhat less than two days. A couple of the foresail hawsers broke loose which made the foc'sle a rather unsafe place to be. The ship was heeled over at least 30 degrees for the whole trip. Wasn't too bad if you got a hammock to sleep in (except for the cramps in the calves) but it sure sucked if one got a bunkbed (like some of my classmates).

< Message edited by spence -- 2/19/2019 12:11:45 AM >

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> WW2 Warships Ships Still Serving 2019 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI