Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Base supply help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Base supply help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Base supply help - 2/13/2019 5:27:46 PM   
Phoenix100

Newb question. Can anyone help? I have actually read the manual on this, but can't find the answers there. This is Dutch Harbor in 1000 Miles. I'm allies. Pic below of DH base screen. Below is what I think it says, can anyone correct/confirm? Thanks.

In the line for supply I read the base as stockpiling 40,000 units of supply and itself (without me doing anything) producing 2000 supply per day. Correct? But if so, what is the green 'no' switch just before this entry. When I click it to 'yes' what do I switch on?

Similarly with fuel - there's a stockpile of 20,000 units of fuel and the base itself produces 1000 per day? And again, what does the green 'no' switch do to fuel?

Oil storage and resource storage are both set to 'no' with another green switch. What does this mean and what does it do if I switch it to 'yes'?

Under aviation support it reads 192+30. What is the '+30'?

Sorry if these things are obvious from somewhere. Many thanks.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Base supply help - 2/13/2019 5:36:16 PM   
btd64

The "+30" for Aviation support represents support from AV/AVP/AVD type ships. Other than that, this Dutch Harbor looks like no other DH I have seen in a Scenario. Is this a mod? I'm not familiar with the 1000 miles scenario....GP

Intel i7 3.4GHz,8GB Ram,1920x1080 rez

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 2
RE: Base supply help - 2/13/2019 5:36:49 PM   
m10bob

You have the ability to make the base stockpile..Put your cursor over the yellow N or Y and click the mouse.

Some locations will produce supply on their own, depending on the size and (in theory) the presence of local minerals, foods, etc.
I have never felt the need to stockpile supplies anywhere, but prefer to mostly avoid "auto-convoys" altogether, but will delegate "CS" type cargo vessels from supply points (like "Frisco), to Midway, etc.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 3
RE: Base supply help - 2/13/2019 5:46:59 PM   
Phoenix100

Thanks. No mods here, btd64, except the Andy Mac scenario updates and the 07 beta.

Since this is a small scenario I have a feeling supply is 'off'. But I'm not sure what that means exactly. I can't ship stuff from anywhere outside the Aleutians because the map is limited to the Aleutians. So it's 'off' in that respect, but I wondered, in that case, why I have those yes/no switches. Do you mean, M10bob, that if I don't select 'yes' against the supply then the base will not auto stockpile any excess from its 2000 daily supply? And do you mean that if I do click yes some kind of auto-convoy is set up? Sorry, just trying to work out what you mean. I don't think there's going to be any convoys here because, as I said, it's one of the small scenarios.

So I'm still puzzled as to what those switches do.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 4
RE: Base supply help - 2/13/2019 6:00:16 PM   
adarbrauner

If you select "yes", you prevent the supply and fuel to be land conveyed and transferred to other bases according to the code algorithms, thing irrelevant here as Dutch Harbor is an island, right?

The 1000 and 2000 after the slash / I think represent the supply auto generation and simulate the supply and fuel input from outside the limited scenario map

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 5
RE: Base supply help - 2/13/2019 6:18:28 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Oil storage and resource storage are both set to 'no' with another green switch. What does this mean and what does it do if I switch it to 'yes'?

Look at the top of the "no's" where it says stockpile, the yes/no simply means what it says. As said above it really only comes into play between land bases. When set to stockpile (yes) no supply transferred to another base. If there are troops in the 'field' that are in 'range' they will still draw supply from said base. In an AI game you may hit the '5' key to see what's in range. The numbers that radiate out from the base indicate the number of times that hex may draw supply from the base. Higher numbers indicate more times per week that supply could be drawn.

As to the oil/resources there's no refinery or industry in the base so none is required anyway.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 6
RE: Base supply help - 2/13/2019 7:23:07 PM   
geofflambert

The stockpile option is for when you want to starve a friendly base, like shortly before it's capture. Otherwise I see no use for it. I sometimes arrange "pumps" where in order to stockpile supplies closer to the front I jack up the required amount at intermediate bases and then periodically release that supply by reducing the requirement. It generally seems to move towards bases nearer the front if I've jacked up the "requirement" there. I'm not sure if you're color blind or if it is the screen you are using but those "NO" switches are yellow, not green.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 7
RE: Base supply help - 2/14/2019 6:51:39 AM   
Phoenix100

I am colour blind, yes - sorry about that, if I'm reading colours wrong. Mostly I don't notice. I guess this underlines why the RAF were right to tell me I couldn't join up to be a fighter pilot, thirty-five years ago....

OK. That's all very clear now, I think. Thanks for all your help.

< Message edited by Phoenix100 -- 2/14/2019 6:54:01 AM >

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 8
RE: Base supply help - 2/14/2019 11:30:55 PM   
alimentary

Going down the list...

Supply 40000 / 2000. Means 40,000 supply points of supply are on hand. 2000 tons will be added every day from automatic supply production. Troops at the base will consume some and you may load some on ships. So next turn you will likely have less than 42,000 on hand.

Supplies required 9970. Means that over the course of a month, it is estimated that the base will consume 9970 points of supply. So maybe 330 odd points per day. Subtracted from the automatic generation of 2000 per day, that means that supply will build up here unless it is shipped out.

If this base had a contiguous path of land hexes (or a suitably short path of sea hexes) it would attempt to maintain three times 9970 points of supply (three months of estimated requirements). If supply were present to fulfil this requirement, available supply at the base would hover around 29,000 odd. The base would ship excess elsewhere or import a shortage from elsewhere.

Fuel 20000 / 1000. Means 20,000 fuel points are on hand. 1000 points will be added every day from automatic generation. There being no industry at the base to use fuel, the result would be 21,000 points on hand tomorrow (less fuel used to refuel ships or loaded into tankers and the like).

Fuel requested 5000. The base will attempt to maintain 15000 fuel (I think this is multiplied by 3 like supply, but am not certain). In the absence of an overland supply route it is largely irrelevant for Dutch Harbor anyway. No fuel will be transferred overland from nearby bases or to nearby bases.

Oil Storage: 0 No oil on site. With no oil wells to produce it and no refineries to demand it, oil is irrelevant to the base.

Resource Storage: 0. No resources on site. With no mines to produce it and no industry to demand it, resources are irrelevant to the base.

Support: Total support (including motorized support) present in ground units at the base.
Support required: Total support requirements for ground units at the base
Aviation support: Total aviation support present at the base. 30 points of which are aviation tenders which can support float planes.
Aviation support required: 140 engines worth of planes with modifiers for how many are on training missions or stood down iirc.
Engineers: 89 engineers to repair airfields or ports or build fortifications
Engineer Vehicle: 16 bulldozers which count as the equivalent of 5 engineers each
Artillery: total number of tubes, irrespective of caliber.
Flak: total number of tubes, irrespective of caliber

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 9
RE: Base supply help - 2/15/2019 1:00:56 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phoenix100

I am colour blind, yes - sorry about that, if I'm reading colours wrong. Mostly I don't notice. I guess this underlines why the RAF were right to tell me I couldn't join up to be a fighter pilot, thirty-five years ago....

OK. That's all very clear now, I think. Thanks for all your help.

Yes, just for reference, I am green and my teeth are yellow, from many years of smoking.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 10
RE: Base supply help - 2/15/2019 7:21:38 AM   
Phoenix100

quote:

Yes, just for reference, I am green and my teeth are yellow, from many years of smoking.
:)

quote:

Going down the list...

Supply 40000 / 2000. Means 40,000 supply points of supply are on hand. 2000 tons will be added every day from automatic supply production. Troops at the base will consume some and you may load some on ships. So next turn you will likely have less than 42,000 on hand.

Supplies required 9970. Means that over the course of a month, it is estimated that the base will consume 9970 points of supply. So maybe 330 odd points per day. Subtracted from the automatic generation of 2000 per day, that means that supply will build up here unless it is shipped out.

If this base had a contiguous path of land hexes (or a suitably short path of sea hexes) it would attempt to maintain three times 9970 points of supply (three months of estimated requirements). If supply were present to fulfil this requirement, available supply at the base would hover around 29,000 odd. The base would ship excess elsewhere or import a shortage from elsewhere.

Fuel 20000 / 1000. Means 20,000 fuel points are on hand. 1000 points will be added every day from automatic generation. There being no industry at the base to use fuel, the result would be 21,000 points on hand tomorrow (less fuel used to refuel ships or loaded into tankers and the like).

Fuel requested 5000. The base will attempt to maintain 15000 fuel (I think this is multiplied by 3 like supply, but am not certain). In the absence of an overland supply route it is largely irrelevant for Dutch Harbor anyway. No fuel will be transferred overland from nearby bases or to nearby bases.

Oil Storage: 0 No oil on site. With no oil wells to produce it and no refineries to demand it, oil is irrelevant to the base.

Resource Storage: 0. No resources on site. With no mines to produce it and no industry to demand it, resources are irrelevant to the base.

Support: Total support (including motorized support) present in ground units at the base.
Support required: Total support requirements for ground units at the base
Aviation support: Total aviation support present at the base. 30 points of which are aviation tenders which can support float planes.
Aviation support required: 140 engines worth of planes with modifiers for how many are on training missions or stood down iirc.
Engineers: 89 engineers to repair airfields or ports or build fortifications
Engineer Vehicle: 16 bulldozers which count as the equivalent of 5 engineers each
Artillery: total number of tubes, irrespective of caliber.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to explain all this so clearly, alimentary. Very much appreciated.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 11
RE: Base supply help - 2/15/2019 11:44:16 AM   
HansBolter

Also its confusing to refer to the supply on hand at the base as a 'stockpile' because 'stockpiling' has a specific meaning within the context of the game as has already been explained to you.

It doesn't become a stockpile until you set stockpiling to on.

This statement "in the line for supply I read the base as stockpiling 40,000 units of supply" had me immediately thinking you didn't understand stockpiling because your base wasn't stockpiling anything with the supply stockpile toggle set to 'no'.

Hans

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 12
RE: Base supply help - 2/15/2019 11:55:29 AM   
Phoenix100

And that's correct, hansbolter - amongst the many other things I don't yet understand (hence my posting) I also didn't at all understand the specific in-game meaning of stockpiling. But I do now, thanks to the answers others gave, above.

Great help in here.

< Message edited by Phoenix100 -- 2/15/2019 11:56:09 AM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 13
RE: Base supply help - 2/15/2019 7:29:29 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Engines only applies to the the airfield size itself. One point of airfield size equals fifty engines.

When it comes to air support devices its a one to one ratio. Number of engines doesn't matter. So 1AS=1aircraft. No modifiers. Although I don't think 'spare' aircraft are counted.

quote:

This number is the result of a divided number of the 'tubes' in the hex. It reflects the possible directions of attack. I thought it was 'total tubes/6', although someone recently stated its four. Either way you could probably tell yourself if you add the 'tubes' up. Just like above if you add the number of planes on the field its 140, not 140 engines.

Edit: BTW if you have excess AS devices at an airfield its a good thing, especially if you have aircraft there whose SR (service rating) is >1. It'll help keep your planes in the air, especially if combat ops are occurring.

< Message edited by rustysi -- 2/15/2019 7:32:34 PM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Base supply help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI