Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Suppy?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> The War Room >> Suppy? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suppy? - 2/12/2019 9:20:34 PM   
Rand6897

Tying to get a grip on how TOAW works prior to playing.

I have looked at some of the scenarios, played around with unit creation, event creation, and other aspects of the game. I can't quite figure out supply values.

I find multiple locations with a supply value. What exactly does the value mean and if you are creating a scenario how do you determine the value of supply locations to ensure a proper level.

Secondly, I have seen in some scenarios units that are created solely for supply or production effects tied to an event(s). If the unit is destroyed reinforcements are reduced by 1% as an example. I have thought about adding some events so to a small degree The Battle of the Atlantic comes into play. Possibly creating units called convoys, giving them no defensive capabilities making them vulnerable to surface raiders and air attack. Any clever ideas in this area?

Thank you
Post #: 1
RE: Supply? - 2/13/2019 2:50:01 AM   
sPzAbt653

Maybe this will help:

TOAW Tutorial - Supply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhVdL9ukZa8

(in reply to Rand6897)
Post #: 2
RE: Supply? - 2/13/2019 3:09:45 AM   
Rand6897

Thanks, I have seen that and still am unclear on a couple of things. Maybe I need to explain what I am not understanding better.

1] In the video supply is set to 100, he says 30 is about normal. Is it a designer preference whether units remain at higher supply level?

2] If Antwerp has a value of 30 would you set areas that are more difficult to supply like North Africa at 20-25 for Tripoli? Would you set smaller ports in Europe at 20-25 as well?

4] The way I understand it, two adjacent ports with a value of 25 each would provide less supply than a single 35 point port.

2] If 10 divisions are drawing supply from a 30 point location, will they consume more supplies that 3 divisions?

Thanks

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: Supply? - 2/13/2019 3:46:31 AM   
Lobster

1) Yes
2a) Yes but it's up to the scenario designer
4) Supply is drawn with the point that has the highest value
2b) No. The supply net supplies everyone equally depending on each units ability to absorb supplies

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to Rand6897)
Post #: 4
RE: Supply? - 2/13/2019 11:23:43 AM   
Rand6897

Ok, thanks. Let me reword last question. If you have a single supply source, would 10 units get less supply than three units? This assumes everything else is equal. In other words, a hex 10 hexes away from the supply point would receive the same amount of supply regardless of the number of units the source is feeding.

< Message edited by Rand6897 -- 2/13/2019 11:24:55 AM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 5
RE: Supply? - 2/13/2019 2:15:42 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rand6897

Ok, thanks. Let me reword last question. If you have a single supply source, would 10 units get less supply than three units? This assumes everything else is equal. In other words, a hex 10 hexes away from the supply point would receive the same amount of supply regardless of the number of units the source is feeding.

As far as the game is concerned, a supply point is inexhaustible. It will supply 1 unit or 10,000 units equally.

But, as the scenario designer, you can account for this yourself if you desire some effect. If the number of units in theater suddenly expands beyond the limits of the supply net, you should drop the Force Supply Level accordingly. (But only if that truly was the case: In reality, units tend to come with their own supply network.)

Off topic: Don't forget about the Supply Radius. That's a critical parameter that so many designers overlook.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Rand6897)
Post #: 6
RE: Supply? - 2/25/2019 7:02:45 PM   
HvonMoltke

Thanks Curtis, I was wondering about that point too. Sounds weird, from a IRL perspective tho.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> The War Room >> Suppy? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI