Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is there a way to compel reloading?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Is there a way to compel reloading? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is there a way to compel reloading? - 2/3/2019 10:06:15 PM   
Primarchx

Weapon mounts have a 'reload priority' box, in my experience used to direct one munition loaded on a mount that can accommodate many munitions, but is there a way for the player to compel a unit to reload? How about not to reload?

Example - I've got a destroyer that fired 37 out of 40 rounds on the mount and has plenty in the magazine. There's some time before the next target is in range. It's not reloading, though. Which means the next time it fires, 3 rounds go out and then you sit for a few minutes while it stacks rounds. It would of been nice to say, "Hey, there's a lull in the action. Get that ready magazine loaded!"

Alternate example - I've got a destroyer that fired 4 Sea Sparrows out of a Mk 29 launcher defending against a a salvo of Styx missiles, taking them down. The missile boats go for a second salvo and I find my Sea Sparrow launcher is in the middle of reloading a partially-full box launcher I need right now!

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Is there a way to compel reloading? - 2/3/2019 11:41:34 PM   
DWReese

A very interesting topic, one that I have thought about before as well. Sadly, I don't know how to do it.

Doug

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 2
RE: Is there a way to compel reloading? - 2/4/2019 12:12:09 AM   
AndrewJ

I was doing shore bombardment in Gunner98's Mediterranean Fury 1, and many times my ships stopped to reload while the ready magazines were still largely full. Being able to control when they did or didn't reload would have been very handy.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 3
RE: Is there a way to compel reloading? - 2/4/2019 11:46:23 PM   
KnightHawk75

Indeed tend to agree this would be useful as a player, also as designer if could be invoked via lua so your enemy can do this as well, have come across similar situations.

Today you can kind of fake it with a Action that creates a timed event say every 1 minute or 30seconds etc that does a -1 from related 'munitions' and adds one to related weapon mount entry for a selectedUnit, then when mount is full script deletes event, but is't a bit of a messy kludge. You could go the other way too and that is take weapon entry on mount down to 0 and add what was left to the mag, that should trigger a reload, how soon idk, haven't looked close enough yet, but it also then probably costs you extra time since you removed what was left. Another option with the later is maybe to 'watch' the operational status and if it says 'reloading' then jam back in the original stores after it's been self-triggered. just spitballing.

(in reply to AndrewJ)
Post #: 4
RE: Is there a way to compel reloading? - 2/6/2019 4:25:16 PM   
AKar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Primarchx

Example - I've got a destroyer that fired 37 out of 40 rounds on the mount and has plenty in the magazine. There's some time before the next target is in range. It's not reloading, though. Which means the next time it fires, 3 rounds go out and then you sit for a few minutes while it stacks rounds. It would of been nice to say, "Hey, there's a lull in the action. Get that ready magazine loaded!"

BTW, pardon my ignorance, how would usual modern naval guns be treated under generic wartime doctrine in this specific situation? Would you simply shoot the remaining three rounds to clear the tray, or are these weapons unloaded for reloading, or can they be 'topped up' easily with rounds remaining in the feed? I know nothing about their ammo feed mechanics and this got me interested!

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 5
RE: Is there a way to compel reloading? - 2/6/2019 10:06:34 PM   
Primarchx

Every gun system has a way to clear the gun and, if necessary, the magazine, then reload. Missile systems are different, depending on how they reload.

(in reply to AKar)
Post #: 6
RE: Is there a way to compel reloading? - 2/6/2019 11:02:18 PM   
TheOriginalOverlord

quote:

ORIGINAL: Primarchx

Weapon mounts have a 'reload priority' box, in my experience used to direct one munition loaded on a mount that can accommodate many munitions, but is there a way for the player to compel a unit to reload? How about not to reload?

Alternate example - I've got a destroyer that fired 4 Sea Sparrows out of a Mk 29 launcher defending against a a salvo of Styx missiles, taking them down. The missile boats go for a second salvo and I find my Sea Sparrow launcher is in the middle of reloading a partially-full box launcher I need right now!

Thanks!

I asked this same question a while back and had a similar situation...my SAM mount reloaded while under attack with 3 missles left in the rack....

Semper Fi!

Jeremy

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 7
RE: Is there a way to compel reloading? - 2/8/2019 12:54:32 AM   
AndrewJ

Yep. Six-cell Seawolf fires one missile, then starts reloading. Four more inbounds coming right behind the first one...

(in reply to TheOriginalOverlord)
Post #: 8
RE: Is there a way to compel reloading? - 6/15/2019 11:19:16 PM   
TheOriginalOverlord

bump?

Semper Fi!

Jeremy

(in reply to AndrewJ)
Post #: 9
RE: Is there a way to compel reloading? - 6/16/2019 11:09:53 AM   
Gunner98

quote:

Every gun system has a way to clear the gun

I suppose a work around would be to BOL those 3 rounds to trigger a reload - but that is kludgy in the extreme (if it even works, not sure).

This would be a really nice feature. Argument could be made that it is too micro but considering all the micro options for AC this is an important feature for the Capt of a ship to exercise - especially the missile reload. That's a tricky decision for the player to make and frustrating when the game makes it for him.

B

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 10
RE: Is there a way to compel reloading? - 6/16/2019 11:16:39 AM   
michaelm75au

Does someone have a current example/save of this situation - a mount not loading during a 'lull'? Of course a lull is subjective.

I've haven't really noticed this. And if it is really a defect (versus an AI working object), I would like to log it.

Michael

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 11
RE: Is there a way to compel reloading? - 6/16/2019 11:28:57 AM   
Gunner98

Michael

I don't, sorry.

I think this is more of a new feature than an AI problem. Having the AI decide when to reload a mount probably works in a high percentage of situations. At a critical time in a fight however, giving the player a chance to intervene would remove frustration and add a real decision to the workload.

As Primarchx describes in the OP, this can go two ways: not loading in a lull, which as you say is subjective, and therefore could/should be in the hands of the player to decide; or loading at an inopportune time making the mount unavailable when needed, again that requires judgement and could/should be a player decision.

Understand that we are picking away at the edges here but it would be a nice option.

Thanks for considering.

B

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Is there a way to compel reloading? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI