Attaching Support units to Corps

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Chris21wen

Attaching Support units to Corps

Post by Chris21wen »

I know the Soviet Tank Corps lack inf and Rifle Corps lack arm; and both need art but you can't give it to them. I've been scrambling to work out what are the best support units to give to the Soviet corps.

Any advice?
Zug

RE: Attaching Support units to Corps

Post by Zug »

For me, partly it depends on pool levels. Constantly checking that, and assigning the stuff that is plentiful. For example you might have a lot of 122m howitzers, but low on 152s.

All infantry armies get artillery (several battalions/regiments), heavy and light AAA, a sapper unit or RR construction unit and once the pools are sufficient they will get at least one armor battalion/brigade. Some get flame tanks, but these tend to be scarce. Once assault gun formations are available these get used too. Again, it's shaped by what is available at the time.

As the war moves on I tend to have a huge stockpile of katyushas, and those begin to be used heavily, essentially replacing the tube artillery.

For armor units (tank armies/shock armies) I forgo the heavy AAA and heavy artillery. These get a standard/heavy tank regiment/battalion/brigade (depending on pools), light AAA, and plenty of rockets. Always concerned about trucks, so I keep support units attached to these formations streamlined.

In 1941 I concentrate on diggers, AAA and artillery. Once the blitzkrieg has been stopped, and production stabilized and running full tilt, I begin to incorporate the armor support units.

I tend to ignore ski battalions, MG units, AT guns and mortars.

Edit: You're asking about Corps, so perhaps I answered the wrong question? You're an experienced player and I doubt you need the advice I just gave.
Animals flee this hell. The hardest stones cannot bear it for long. Only men endure.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Zug

For me, partly it depends on pool levels. Constantly checking that, and assigning the stuff that is plentiful. For example you might have a lot of 122m howitzers, but low on 152s.

All infantry armies get artillery (several battalions/regiments), heavy and light AAA, a sapper unit or RR construction unit and once the pools are sufficient they will get at least one armor battalion/brigade. Some get flame tanks, but these tend to be scarce. Once assault gun formations are available these get used too. Again, it's shaped by what is available at the time.

As the war moves on I tend to have a huge stockpile of katyushas, and those begin to be used heavily, essentially replacing the tube artillery.

For armor units (tank armies/shock armies) I forgo the heavy AAA and heavy artillery. These get a standard/heavy tank regiment/battalion/brigade (depending on pools), light AAA, and plenty of rockets. Always concerned about trucks, so I keep support units attached to these formations streamlined.

In 1941 I concentrate on diggers, AAA and artillery. Once the blitzkrieg has been stopped, and production stabilized and running full tilt, I begin to incorporate the armor support units.

Edit: You're asking about Corps, so perhaps I answered the wrong question? You're an experienced player and I doubt you need the advice I just gave.

Pretty much mu outlook on armies, and yes it was Corps I was asking info on.
Zug

Post by Zug »

Yes, my reading comprehension could use some work eh? I don't assign any SUs directly to Corps as Soviet player so I could have just stayed out of this thread altogether!
Animals flee this hell. The hardest stones cannot bear it for long. Only men endure.
MarauderPL

Post by MarauderPL »

Sappers were once THE choice, but I dont know how do they look nowadays 1942+. The devs stated in the patches that sappers regain their combat engineer traits later in the game, so it might be an option, i just have no data in this regard. Motorcycle regiments are interesting choice, quite pricy in vehicles but decent all round, with good CV. Tank battalions are nice in rifle and cav corps, assigning them to tank corps might be an option if there are no alternatives. Im not a fan of AT support units due to the fact how combat phase is resolved, but they are worth a try (especially Heavy AT). Later in the war assault guns and heavy tanks are more than decent.
Its a pity the soviets have so limited inf support units choice to attach to tank corps, but its historically accurate. What about ski battalions in this role?
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

ORIGINAL: Zug

Pretty much mu outlook on armies, and yes it was Corps I was asking info on.

I guess I am in trouble then since I have not adhered to this way of thinking. I have disbanded all of my AA guns for manpower netting about 120,000+ men in 1941. I have assigned AT guns, MG Battalions, and Motorcycle regiments to my Corps :( I have almost completed having every Army on the map having 5-6 Artillery units. As for the Sappers I have them assigned out but their bang for the buck has been diminished.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
HardLuckYetAgain

ORIGINAL: MarauderPL

Sappers were once THE choice, but I dont know how do they look nowadays 1942+. The devs stated in the patches that sappers regain their combat engineer traits later in the game, so it might be an option, i just have no data in this regard. Motorcycle regiments are interesting choice, quite pricy in vehicles but decent all round, with good CV. Tank battalions are nice in rifle and cav corps, assigning them to tank corps might be an option if there are no alternatives. Im not a fan of AT support units due to the fact how combat phase is resolved, but they are worth a try (especially Heavy AT). Later in the war assault guns and heavy tanks are more than decent.
Its a pity the soviets have so limited inf support units choice to attach to tank corps, but its historically accurate. What about ski battalions in this role?

I was thinking the same thing on the ski battalions but did not pull the trigger on it. I am just going to use Mech brigades to satisfy any infantry support needed for Tank Corps.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

Currently I like to assign SU into corps that are not manpower heavy (still don't do ski battalions though) and are not truck heavy (I usually prefer tonnes of guns for attrition instead) depending on needs and pools
I tend to only use motorcycle SU in 41 and I don't really build sappers anymore so would love some info on how it's gone for others using them

Very vaguely for 42 I do stuff like
AA in intensive theatres if Axis is still capable of good ground support
AT in places that are infront of panzers to knockout the odd bit of AFV from the fight
MG battalions on my own offensive/defensive front which will predominantly fight Axis infatry

I do alot of my allocations are based around bringing attrionial warfare more to Soviet favour

Mech are a great addition in tank corps if you can afford the trucks imo
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

I know the Soviet Tank Corps lack inf and Rifle Corps lack arm; and both need art but you can't give it to them. I've been scrambling to work out what are the best support units to give to the Soviet corps.

Any advice?
You can assign Tank, AA, AT and Sapper support units, assuming they have been built, to Soviet Corps. You are correct about Art, and there is no Inf support unit, the closest you get is Ski Bats.

Note : Assigning a non motorized support unit to to a motorised Corps eats trucks.
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
HardLuckYetAgain

ORIGINAL: 56ajax

Any advice?
You can assign Tank, AA, AT and Sapper support units, assuming they have been built, to Soviet Corps. You are correct about Art, and there is no Inf support unit, the closest you get is Ski Bats.

Note : Assigning a non motorized support unit to to a motorised Corps eats trucks.

Are people really having an issue with trucks as the Soviets? I have not yet in any of my games had an issue with trucks.
AlexSF

Post by AlexSF »

I have a huge issue with trucks in my game as the Soviet. It's February 44 and I have about 130k truck for 200k needed and it's been like that since beginning of 1943
"My centre is yielding. My right is retreating. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Maréchal Foch, 1914.
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

I also always have to balance trucks once I get going in 42+ until the end and that's usually with a small armour arm!

With the SU talk has anybody ever tried tank destroyers?
timms

Post by timms »

I've definitely had a truck issue, but I think most of mine stems from my enormous losses in 41 and 42 (about 9 million). I'm good when I keep my tanks parked but when I have 6 tank armies active I'm at 70k out of 135k needed in early 43.
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

How have people experienced the static unit option as a way to address the truck shortage? I know it costs AP to put units in static mode, but it does free up their trucks and often there are large stretches of the front where little or no action is taking place. I was thinking of putting the front-line units, maybe 2/3 of all divisions in quiet sectors, on static, with still-mobile units behind the lines in reserve mode.
timms

Post by timms »

For static units, once I'm able to form rifle corps I stick my motorized support units in and then make them static. I get all their trucks and the static unit gets a big firepower boost. Eventually if I decide to attack again I'll put a more logical combination of support units in but that'll be a while. I've kept cavalry corps mobile as my emergency reserve but tank and mech corps on static help a lot so I only activate them when I have a specific plan and need for them. I try not to use them for defense except when I'm in a hopeless situation (which is unfortunately fairly often at this point).

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”