Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Call to Arms

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Call to Arms Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Call to Arms - 6/19/2019 6:35:45 PM   
Raindem

June 1782

Patriot Victory! The war is over!

Much to my surprise, the game has ended in a sudden death American victory. Here’s what happened. Last turn, unknown to me, Ian had selected a Theater Option to bring in another Foot Brigade as reinforcements. As previously discussed, these extra reinforcements cost victory points due to the geo-political ramifications of withdrawing troops from other theaters to put down a rebellion. This VP penalty, combined with the 3 VPs I got from the capture of New Bern the previous turn, was enough to meet the SDV conditions (+25 after Jan 1782). It was a lucky turn of events for me (no pun intended). If the timing had been different, Ian would have had a couple more turns to bring my victory level back down, and the game might have ended in a draw 3 years from now.

This match was as close as it gets. We won the war, but we didn’t outfight the enemy. And up until the last year, had not even won a single major battle. My strategy from the outset was to wear the British down. And even though we were pummeled mercilessly in every major engagement, the British were indeed tiring. That was evidenced by the need for them to strip troops from other parts of the Empire.

Hats off to Ian for a well played game.

Attachment (1)

Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.

(in reply to Raindem)
Post #: 151
RE: Call to Arms - 6/19/2019 7:44:19 PM   
Zovs

Excellent!

Great AAR!

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario creator

(in reply to Raindem)
Post #: 152
RE: Call to Arms - 6/20/2019 7:23:28 PM   
Raindem

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

Excellent!

Great AAR!

Thanks

Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 153
RE: Call to Arms - 6/21/2019 5:58:15 AM   
StuccoFresco

Damn, that was unexpected.

(in reply to Raindem)
Post #: 154
RE: Call to Arms - 6/21/2019 11:31:06 AM   
sapper32

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raindem

June 1782

Patriot Victory! The war is over!

Much to my surprise, the game has ended in a sudden death American victory. Here’s what happened. Last turn, unknown to me, Ian had selected a Theater Option to bring in another Foot Brigade as reinforcements. As previously discussed, these extra reinforcements cost victory points due to the geo-political ramifications of withdrawing troops from other theaters to put down a rebellion. This VP penalty, combined with the 3 VPs I got from the capture of New Bern the previous turn, was enough to meet the SDV conditions (+25 after Jan 1782). It was a lucky turn of events for me (no pun intended). If the timing had been different, Ian would have had a couple more turns to bring my victory level back down, and the game might have ended in a draw 3 years from now.

This match was as close as it gets. We won the war, but we didn’t outfight the enemy. And up until the last year, had not even won a single major battle. My strategy from the outset was to wear the British down. And even though we were pummeled mercilessly in every major engagement, the British were indeed tiring. That was evidenced by the need for them to strip troops from other parts of the Empire.

Hats off to Ian for a well played game.

Well played Curt a very close run thing, I thought I had another turn or two before you attacked New Bearn but the Continentals got on with it. Like you said I think the war would have gone on until the end I didn't have enough troops to hold what I had and assault Philadelphia which would have been a massive prize and swung the game in my direction.
Thanks for the game I had lots of fun and would highly recommend it to other players who want something a bit different and although the map is huge a turn doesn't take very long as there arnt really too many units.

Ian

The battle of Medjerda is almost forgotten,but was fought against highly disciplined German troops and blasted a route straight to Tunis it was a perfect infiltration battle and should be remembered as the best fought British battle of the war.

(in reply to Raindem)
Post #: 155
RE: Call to Arms - 7/4/2019 9:14:37 PM   
John B.

I just read the end to this. A fitting AAR for the 4th of July!

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 156
RE: Call to Arms - 7/8/2019 7:01:26 AM   
Cfant

Thanks for insights in a rather unusual TOAW-scenario!

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 157
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Call to Arms Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI