Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help Needed From Some Experienced Scenario Designers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Help Needed From Some Experienced Scenario Designers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help Needed From Some Experienced Scenario Designers - 1/30/2019 1:43:46 AM   
DWReese

Hi gang,

I need some help from some experienced scenario designers.

I am creating a scenario where I want the computer (AI) to launch a TLAM mission (which I have set up) to attack some targets that I have specified. I have a list of about 12 targets at three different locations. Here is my problem:

1.) First, the program provides the target list, but does not let you pick which targets should be hit by which weapon, or how many of each weapon it should attack with. It essentially says here is what is shooting, and here is the list of what is being shot at. Does anyone know how I could specifically designate what I want hit and by how many?

2.) The scenario that I am making is based on planning and will be fun to play against. But, he is another aspect of the same thing above. The TLAM attack , if left to the AI, will fire missiles all over the place. Even if you click the button to keep it from using off-axis shots, you still can't seem to call exactly where you want these missiles to fly. I have a very specific path that I want them to take, while the AI wants to either have them fly all over creation (allow axis attack), or fly straight through all of the enemy defenses if not allowed the axis attack. Does anyone know how to make this work?

Thanks in advance.

Doug
Post #: 1
RE: Help Needed From Some Experienced Scenario Designers - 1/30/2019 2:38:35 AM   
Whicker

where are the tlams? ship? sub? plane?

I assume you don't want this to happen at game start - otherwise you could just set it all up yourself?

If they are on a ship, I just tried something that may work for you.

- DDG with 2 VLS
- I went to damage control and made both of the VLS's - Damaged - Heavy (or was it destroyed? not sure now)
- I choose a target (tlams said unable to fire but I was still able to select them) and plotted the course
- I sped time up a bit and moved the ship around
- hopefully the ship doesn't need the VLS for anything else? or you put all the tlams in one and only disable that one?

after a while I went to damage control and set the vls's to operational and the missiles launched and followed the plotted course even though the ship had moved around a bit

While I didn't use lua to do any of that, the only thing I think you would need to do is at the time you want them to launch, set the vls damage to 0. The rest you could do at the beginning of the scen. Not sure how long it would take to repair them at sea, kind of assuming forever but could be wrong.

If they are on a sub maybe it would work if the sub is too deep, and using lua you have it come to shallow and then it would launch? if not the same damage idea probably would work.

planes - can't quite see how that could happen, unless they were in the air already and then maybe the damage would work like it does on the DDG?

A little hacky but seemed to work well. I haven't seen anything in the lua docs about actually launching a weapon.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 2
RE: Help Needed From Some Experienced Scenario Designers - 1/30/2019 2:39:09 AM   
DWReese

Follow up to my own question:

I was looking at the LIVE:Korean scenario for instance. It is similar to what I am trying to accomplish as it has a US carrier group that is armed with TLAMs. It has a TLAM mission set up and will fire later in the game. The mission has about 150 or more targets in the target list. You can manually move them around, presumably to make the top of the list the priority. I didn't do anything and left it the way that it was. The top of the list is the Changjin-Up airfield, which is located in the middle of North Korea. There are other bases much closer to the launching carrier group.

So, my question is why, when I set the mission to execute does it fire TLAMs all over the place, but none are designated to go to the top target on the list?

Also, what does the "Pre-planned targets (in target list) only" check box do? I checked it and unchecked it, and I can't see any difference. Can someone explain how this is set up to work? There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to me as you would think that the top of the list would get the most attention. Instead, it was ignored.

Thanks

Doug

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 3
RE: Help Needed From Some Experienced Scenario Designers - 1/30/2019 9:05:10 AM   
kch

Quick answer with my limited experience.

Question 1): the targets will be prioritised according to ranking but you need to double check your WRA so that you dont fire too many TLAMs at the same target.

Question 2): With the box checked then any new targets popping up in the target area, such as SAM sites lighting up, will not be engaged since they are not present in your initial target list

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 4
RE: Help Needed From Some Experienced Scenario Designers - 1/30/2019 11:21:56 AM   
Gunner98

Doug

I believe kch is correct on the use of the 'pre planned target' box

Timing is easily controlled by activating/deactivating the mission. The trigger can either be a time, a random time, something happening like entering a box or something being destroyed. Putting a condition on the event to check posture is also useful.

I don't know about the path issue. Having the 'Allow off axes attack' should have the AI choosing random routes for each TLAM (or each Target, not sure). Having the box unchecked should have them going in a straight line. I suppose you can control it somewhat by moving the shooters away from the target, closer to the max range of the weapon but with TLAMs that is a bit far.

B

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to kch)
Post #: 5
RE: Help Needed From Some Experienced Scenario Designers - 1/30/2019 11:35:27 AM   
DWReese

kch,

Thanks for your input.

One thing that I would like you to do, if it's not too much trouble, is to check and see if the order of the list is working. I have tried real scenarios and my scenarios and I prioritized the order of the targets in the list (top to bottom) but the top was never targeted, and the bottom of the list was.

Then, a reassigned them myself. I exited the screen and went back to it. The program had inverted the list so that my top target was now at the bottom of the list, and vice-versa. So, either the program now reverses the list order, or I did something by trying to arrange them to change the priority. It happens every time, even to scenarios that I didn't save.

Thanks.

Doug

(in reply to kch)
Post #: 6
RE: Help Needed From Some Experienced Scenario Designers - 1/30/2019 12:45:58 PM   
kch

I will also try to do a check and get back to you.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 7
RE: Help Needed From Some Experienced Scenario Designers - 1/30/2019 1:25:59 PM   
Gunner98

Doug

That one might be worthy of the Tech Forum to see if its WAD.

B

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to kch)
Post #: 8
RE: Help Needed From Some Experienced Scenario Designers - 1/30/2019 4:40:53 PM   
DWReese

Gunner98,

I just wrote to Tech Support about the list priority order. I do know that they made a change to that area in the last update because the arrows were more visible than before. Perhaps, in doing so, someone hit a button and accidentally reversed the order. I just ran three more tests and the bottom of the list gets the priority, while the top of the list on gets attention if there are enough missiles to go around. So, (in simple terms) if you have 25 missiles and and 30 targets, then the top five on the list don't get attacked, but numbers 6 through 30 do. Obviously, it should be the other way around.

Doug

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Help Needed From Some Experienced Scenario Designers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI