Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

American Eagles Historical Module for Heroes and Leaders mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> American Eagles Historical Module for Heroes and Leaders mod Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
American Eagles Historical Module for Heroes and Leader... - 1/25/2019 5:30:40 PM   
asl3d

New Heroes and Leaders mod Historical Module is coming ...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by asl3d -- 8/11/2019 8:19:46 PM >

Semper fidelis
Post #: 1
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 1/25/2019 6:45:52 PM   
Gerry4321

Good Lord man. Shouldn't you be taking a break!?

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 2
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 1/25/2019 6:56:30 PM   
asl3d

Hi Gerry,

The new Omaha Historical Module contemplates the attack of the landing forces of the United States on June 6, 1944. However, Operation Neptune (amphibious assault involving more than 5,000 vessels) can not be understood if we forget the 1,200-plane airborne assault who preceded it.

The attack of the US paratroopers to the rearguard of the German forces deployed on the Omaha beach was also of great importance. The 101st and 82nd paratrooper divisions were also important protagonists on June 6, 1944.

The planned Historical Module Carentan Expantion wants to cover the battles of the US paratrooper divisions on June 6, 1944. For this purpose, some of the boards designed for the initial Historical Module Carentan will be used, and additional boards will be created.

Finally, the Carentan Expantion Historical Module will be called "American Eagles", in honor of the 82nd airborne division ("All American") and the 101st airborne division ("Screaming Eagles").

The Omaha Historical Module scenarios will be published together with the scenarios of the American Eagles Historical Module, to try to create the global atmosphere that was lived in that theater of operations.

Easy,... don't worry.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by asl3d -- 1/25/2019 6:57:23 PM >

Semper fidelis

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 3
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 1/25/2019 8:13:32 PM   
Gerry4321

Easy? LOL.

Personally I am not so interested in the Western Front and especially not the landings. But I am more interested in American Eagles than Omaha.

Some other time down the road maybe you will go back to the Eastern Front. And of course there are many people that love the Normandy stuff.

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 4
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 1/26/2019 3:35:21 PM   
Gerry4321

Another question please. I think it is in the Brecourt map I cannot see the elevation changes. I think there is a section near the guns that is forested and it is at a higher level. But I cannot see that without mousing over every hex.

Is there a way to make the elevation changes stand out a bit?

Again I feel bad asking anything as it is so nice of you to do such awesome work for us when the developers have disappeared.

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 5
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 1/26/2019 6:19:33 PM   
asl3d

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gerry4321

Another question please. I think it is in the Brecourt map I cannot see the elevation changes. I think there is a section near the guns that is forested and it is at a higher level. But I cannot see that without mousing over every hex.

Is there a way to make the elevation changes stand out a bit?

Again I feel bad asking anything as it is so nice of you to do such awesome work for us when the developers have disappeared.

Hello Gerry.

I just checked the Brecourt board and there is no elevation changes. All hexes are at level 0.

The first elevation change in the Carentan series is on the Ingouf board (second serie scenario). On this board there is a house that has 3 levels of height and also 2 interior floors, so that the units in there are in building level 2. I attach a detail of the house.

The computer allows to separate the graphic aspect of the board and its topographic properties. This is a breakthrough. It means that you can change the height of each board from one scenario to another without touching the graphic map (only the topographic properties). This is good and bad. It is good because it is a lot of freedom for the scenario designer, but it is bad because it is not evident (it can not be) to distinguish buildings of different heights, beyond their shadow projected on land, and it is not safe.

In other words. A Squad Leader has to watch well the battlefield where his men are going to fight. An error can be the difference between losing your men or getting them out of there alive. You have to look carefully at the terrain and see the opportunities it offers you.

Attachment (1)

Semper fidelis

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 6
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 1/26/2019 6:32:52 PM   
asl3d

quote:

Easy? LOL.

Personally I am not so interested in the Western Front and especially not the landings. But I am more interested in American Eagles than Omaha.

Some other time down the road maybe you will go back to the Eastern Front. And of course there are many people that love the Normandy stuff.

Hello Gerry.

American Eagles:

I still have not decided how many scenarios are going to be interspersed with Omaha scenarios. Surely the first will be the expansion of Brecourt, which simulates the air assault of the company Easy (Lieutenant Winters) near Les Moulins. It will be a night scene, with German patrols scattered around the launch area ...

The next Historical Module will most likely be located in Warsaw (the Partisans and the Resistance will appear for the first time).

The following Historical Module will be located at the Pacific Operations Theater (PTO), with the Japanese Army and the US Marines as protagonists.

The eastern front will have to wait a bit.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by asl3d -- 1/26/2019 6:36:58 PM >

Semper fidelis

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 7
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 1/26/2019 7:27:54 PM   
Gerry4321

Hi Julio:
I was looking at the Brecourt map terrain, but not buildings.

For example, D2 is Level 1 and I see some brown color around the hex. I would then expect A3 to be Level 1 but it is level 0.

I understand about buildings but I think a color difference is needed for terrain. I couldn't play a map if I have to keep mousing over to try and remember what each level is.

Again I always appreciate what you do.

Gerry

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 8
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 1/26/2019 8:00:28 PM   
asl3d

quote:

Hi Julio:
I was looking at the Brecourt map terrain, but not buildings.

For example, D2 is Level 1 and I see some brown color around the hex. I would then expect A3 to be Level 1 but it is level 0.

I understand about buildings but I think a color difference is needed for terrain. I couldn't play a map if I have to keep mousing over to try and remember what each level is.

Again I always appreciate what you do.

Gerry

Hello Gerry.

I already understand (attached image of the sector analyzed).

The hex D2 has a level 0. The forest represented there is an obstacle for the LOS level 1. That is, the terrain is at level 0 and the forest (located at level 0) blocks LOS at level 1. It is the same as a building.

The brown drawing is just a small perimeter path that surrounds the forest. The same thing also happens with the perimeter path that follows the wall hexside of A3. It's just decorative to give the board more realism.

For there to be a change in ground level there has to be an obvious change in the drawing of the board. If you look at of Graignes board or the Donville board, you will see that there is a clear graphic change there. The same thing happens with the gully depressions in some of the boards of Stalingrad.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by asl3d -- 1/26/2019 8:01:02 PM >

Semper fidelis

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 9
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 1/27/2019 12:50:57 AM   
Cataphract88

quote:

ORIGINAL: asl3d

quote:

Easy? LOL.

Hello Gerry.

American Eagles:

I still have not decided how many scenarios are going to be interspersed with Omaha scenarios. Surely the first will be the expansion of Brecourt, which simulates the air assault of the company Easy (Lieutenant Winters) near Les Moulins. It will be a night scene, with German patrols scattered around the launch area ...

The next Historical Module will most likely be located in Warsaw (the Partisans and the Resistance will appear for the first time).

The following Historical Module will be located at the Pacific Operations Theater (PTO), with the Japanese Army and the US Marines as protagonists.

All of this sounds great!

Good luck with your continuing projects.

Richard

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 10
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 1/27/2019 12:53:22 AM   
Gerry4321

Sorry Julio, I misinterpreted your Forest Level 1 term. I know what you mean by level-0 with the forest being a level 1 LOS issue - like in ASL. Thanks.

Gerry

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 11
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 1/27/2019 4:16:56 AM   
Gerry4321

Julio:
I do have a question about the Donville map. I assume the brown hexes at the bottom are the hills.
1. Are there two different hex colours and therefore two hill levels on that map. The system does not label the level of hills I notice.
2. How does I25 see into I23?

Thanks,
Gerry

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 12
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 1/27/2019 5:17:59 PM   
asl3d

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cataphract88

quote:

ORIGINAL: asl3d

quote:

Easy? LOL.

Hello Gerry.

American Eagles:

All of this sounds great!

Good luck with your continuing projects.

Thank you very much Richard. Also for your words of encouragement.

Semper fidelis

(in reply to Cataphract88)
Post #: 13
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 1/27/2019 5:18:31 PM   
asl3d

quote:

Sorry Julio, I misinterpreted your Forest Level 1 term. I know what you mean by level-0 with the forest being a level 1 LOS issue - like in ASL. Thanks.

Gerry

Exact Gerry. It's just that. Like ASL.

Semper fidelis

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 14
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 1/27/2019 5:19:06 PM   
asl3d

quote:

Julio:
I do have a question about the Donville map. I assume the brown hexes at the bottom are the hills.
1. Are there two different hex colours and therefore two hill levels on that map. The system does not label the level of hills I notice.
2. How does I25 see into I23?

Thanks,
Gerry

Brown hexes at the bottom are the hills:

Right. I have respected the graphic convention of the game's original designers. I thought it was a good solution.

Two different hex colors:

Right too. The color differences in the hill hexes indicate the level change (in the attached figure I have highlighted it with a yellow line).
A Crest Line is formed in every hex where two different full-level elevations meet. Crest Lines are important both for determining movement costs and defining the slope of a hill for possible LOS obstructions.
In the image, the Crest Lines have been drawn in yellow.

Also, you're right when you say "the system does not label the level of hills I notice." You have to observe carefully the terrain and the obstacles that appear there to know where you are sending your units. You know, this is one of the functions of the Squad Leader.

How does I25 see into I23?:

I'll develop it next ...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by asl3d -- 1/27/2019 7:12:28 PM >

Semper fidelis

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 15
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 1/27/2019 5:22:16 PM   
asl3d

How does I25 see into I23?:

HoS follows the same principles with respect to LOS as SL/ASL.

Then, a unit in I25 can see into I23 due to the concept of Slope Continuous (developed exhaustively in SL/ASL).

A Continuous Slope is a change in elevation such that, in each hex successively crossed by the LOS, the elevation changes by one level in a continuous gradient. All rules pertaining to same-level LOS also apply to Continuous Slope LOS.

From I25 you can draw a Continuous Slope to I23 (see figure)
Notice that the LOS crosses a Crest Line in each hex it traverses.

Continue below ...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by asl3d -- 1/27/2019 7:10:56 PM >

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 16
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 1/27/2019 5:23:11 PM   
asl3d

... Continuation ...

Why I25 can not see F23?:

Hills represent terrain elevations which rise above ground level, and any terrain upon them rises normally from this new level to form new height equivalents. For example, a one level obstacle on a level 1 hill hex becomes a level 2 obstacle to the LOS of a unit at level 0. Inherent Terrain rises from the current hill depiction (i.e., In a Hill-Orchard hex, LOS that crosses the hill depiction is affected up through level 2). Other terrain (e.g., grain, brush, woods, building) is at the higher level throughout the entire depiction of the terrain in question, even if it appears to be rising from the lower level portion of the hill hex.

A lower level unit may trace to LOS in only the initial Crest Line hexside of each level above it. Likewise, a unit may trace to LOS to a lower level only if the higher unit traces its LOS through to Crest Line as it leaves its hex and this LOS never re-crosses another Crest Line of the same or higher elevation. A unit may always trace LOS through a Crest Line in an adjacent hex of lower elevation.

Observe the attached figure. A unit located at I25 can not see hex F23 because it can not trace an LOS through the hexsides I24/H24 and H24/G24 that have the same level as I25.

That is, from I25 there is no Continuous Slope until F23.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by asl3d -- 1/27/2019 7:11:08 PM >

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 17
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 1/27/2019 8:30:36 PM   
Gerry4321

Hi Julio:
I understand ASL and blind hexes. IIRC there could be more than one blind hex and I had a calculation for that.
ASL maps are not beautiful like yours but they were simple and it was easy to see crest lines as they showed Hill levels in different shades of brown. So I was looking for shades of brown in Donville.
I now see the crest lines even though it is not easy for my old eyes for some reason but I will work at it.
BTW, H24 is a Clear hex even though it has what looks like a little hut. I assume you do that for variation?
Thanks,
Gerry

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 18
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 1/28/2019 1:52:49 AM   
Gerry4321

Here is an example in Graignes where I am struggling to see the crest lines.

I can see that C8 is a hill - that one is easy.
I can see that B7 is a higher-level hill - also easy.

But I cannot see how many hexes there are that are the same height as B7. The forest hexes nearby make it hard for me to see where the higher crest line is.

Thanks Julio.

Gerry

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 19
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 1/28/2019 6:07:38 PM   
asl3d

quote:

Hi Julio:
I understand ASL and blind hexes. IIRC there could be more than one blind hex and I had a calculation for that.
ASL maps are not beautiful like yours but they were simple and it was easy to see crest lines as they showed Hill levels in different shades of brown. So I was looking for shades of brown in Donville.
I now see the crest lines even though it is not easy for my old eyes for some reason but I will work at it.
BTW, H24 is a Clear hex even though it has what looks like a little hut. I assume you do that for variation?
Thanks,
Gerry

H24:

Effectively it is a clear hex (- -) of level 2 of height (HT 2).

The small hut is no more than a decorative accessory without effect in the game.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by asl3d -- 1/28/2019 6:08:07 PM >

Semper fidelis

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 20
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 1/28/2019 6:29:33 PM   
asl3d

quote:

Here is an example in Graignes where I am struggling to see the crest lines.

I can see that C8 is a hill - that one is easy.
I can see that B7 is a higher-level hill - also easy.

But I cannot see how many hexes there are that are the same height as B7. The forest hexes nearby make it hard for me to see where the higher crest line is.

Thanks Julio.

Gerry

Crest lines:

In the picture I have drawn the crest line of level 1 in yellow, and the crest line of level 2 in red.

Indeed, the presence of the forest that extends from the ground level to the hill complicates the visualization of the crest line. I have chosen the solution that ASL designers have adopted for cases like this. If you look at the drawing, the forest layer has been cut artificially around the crest line to be able to visualize this line.

It is not a very elegant and realistic solution, but at least it works.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by asl3d -- 1/28/2019 6:30:09 PM >

Semper fidelis

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 21
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 2/18/2019 4:50:07 PM   
asl3d

American Eagles full boards until now ...

Attachment (1)

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 22
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 3/24/2019 6:18:37 PM   
asl3d

The new pack of Scenarios for Heroes and Leaders mod is already available in the thread “Scenarios for Heroes and Leaders mod,” in the post # 1:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4374224

List of scenarios contained in this pack:

“Le Grand Chemin,” for Historical Module American Eagles, version of March 23, 2019

List of scenarios published and contained in the Core of Heroes and Leaders mod:

“Barrikady Ludnikov,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of February 5, 2019
“Barrikady Kindergarten,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of January 30, 2019
“Barrikady Graniti,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of January 24, 2019
“Barrikady Commissar,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of January 18, 2019
“Barrikady Tanks,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of January 12, 2019
“Barrikady Volga,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of January 6, 2019
“Barrikady Arbatovskaya,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of December 18, 2018
“Barrikady Bread Factory,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of December 18, 2018
“Barrikady Mashinnya,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of December 8, 2018
“Barrikady Factory,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of November 29, 2018
“Barrikady South,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of November 12, 2018
“Barrikady North,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of November 09, 2018
“Barrikady Yanvarya,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of October 30, 2018
“Barrikady Stalinaya,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of October 20, 2018
“Barrikady Tsaritsa,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of October 12, 2018
“Barrikady Skulpturny,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of October 03, 2018
“Barrikady Sormosk,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of September 21, 2018
“Barrikady Tramvanaya,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of September 9, 2018
“Barrikady West,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of August 29, 2018
"Donville," for Historical Module 1 Carentan, version of August 29, 2018
"Graignes," for Historical Module 1 Carentan, version of August 29, 2018
“Carentan town,” for Historical Module 1 Carentan, version of August 29, 2018
“Ingouf farm,” for Historical Module 1 Carentan, version of August 29, 2018
“Brecourt Manor”, for Historical Module 1 Carentan, version of August 29, 2018

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 23
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 3/25/2019 7:13:47 PM   
asl3d

American Eagles Sainte Mere Eglise scenario is coming

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by asl3d -- 3/25/2019 7:15:42 PM >

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 24
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 3/31/2019 8:28:25 PM   
asl3d

The new pack of Scenarios for Heroes and Leaders mod is already available in the thread “Scenarios for Heroes and Leaders mod,” in the post # 1:

“Sainte Mère Eglise,” for Historical Module American Eagles, version of March 31, 2019
“Le Grand Chemin,” for Historical Module American Eagles, version of March 23, 2019

List of scenarios published and contained in the Core of Heroes and Leaders mod:

“Barrikady Ludnikov,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of February 5, 2019
“Barrikady Kindergarten,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of January 30, 2019
“Barrikady Graniti,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of January 24, 2019
“Barrikady Commissar,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of January 18, 2019
“Barrikady Tanks,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of January 12, 2019
“Barrikady Volga,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of January 6, 2019
“Barrikady Arbatovskaya,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of December 18, 2018
“Barrikady Bread Factory,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of December 18, 2018
“Barrikady Mashinnya,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of December 8, 2018
“Barrikady Factory,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of November 29, 2018
“Barrikady South,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of November 12, 2018
“Barrikady North,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of November 09, 2018
“Barrikady Yanvarya,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of October 30, 2018
“Barrikady Stalinaya,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of October 20, 2018
“Barrikady Tsaritsa,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of October 12, 2018
“Barrikady Skulpturny,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of October 03, 2018
“Barrikady Sormosk,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of September 21, 2018
“Barrikady Tramvanaya,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of September 9, 2018

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 25
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 5/23/2019 6:12:42 PM   
asl3d

American Eagles La Fiere scenario is coming

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by asl3d -- 5/23/2019 6:13:55 PM >

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 26
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 5/30/2019 6:30:52 PM   
asl3d

“La Fiere,” for Historical Module American Eagles, version of May 29, 2019
“Omaha Fox Green,” for Historical Module Omaha, version of May 22, 2019
“Omaha Easy Red,” for Historical Module Omaha, version of May 11, 2019
“Omaha Easy Green,” for Historical Module Omaha, version of April 30, 2019
“Omaha Dog White,” for Historical Module Omaha, version of April 19, 2019
“Omaha Dog Green,” for Historical Module Omaha, version of April 10, 2019
“Sainte Mère Eglise,” for Historical Module American Eagles, version of March 31, 2019

< Message edited by asl3d -- 6/4/2019 5:48:18 PM >

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 27
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 5/30/2019 6:31:27 PM   
asl3d

American Eagles Sainte Marie de Mont coming soon

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by asl3d -- 5/30/2019 6:32:44 PM >

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 28
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 6/6/2019 12:01:17 AM   
asl3d

American Eagles Sainte Marie du Mont scenario

Attachment (1)

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 29
RE: American Eagles Historical Module - 6/6/2019 6:12:18 PM   
asl3d

“AE Sainte Marie du Mont,” for Historical Module American Eagles, version of June 6, 2019
“AE La Fiere,” for Historical Module American Eagles, version of May 29, 2019
“Omaha Fox Green,” for Historical Module Omaha, version of May 22, 2019
“Omaha Easy Red,” for Historical Module Omaha, version of May 11, 2019
“Omaha Easy Green,” for Historical Module Omaha, version of April 30, 2019
“Omaha Dog White,” for Historical Module Omaha, version of April 19, 2019
“Omaha Dog Green,” for Historical Module Omaha, version of April 10, 2019
“AE Sainte Mère Eglise,” for Historical Module American Eagles, version of March 31, 2019
“AE Le Grand Chemin,” for Historical Module American Eagles, version of March 23, 2019

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> American Eagles Historical Module for Heroes and Leaders mod Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI