Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best Scenarios for PO Play

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Best Scenarios for PO Play Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best Scenarios for PO Play - 1/22/2019 8:47:49 PM   
Bamilus

Hello all,

I know there are a ton of scenarios that have PO play enabled, but it is my understanding that the quality of the AI varies depending on the level of effort put into the tracks in the editor. Are there any scenarios (any time period, any size, etc.) that you know that have very good PO (can be in base game or downloaded)?

Also, what's the easiest way to check a new scenario to see how much effort has been put into the PO? I remember reading about it awhile back, and I know you have to go into the editor to see the tracks or PO plans, but I don't remember how.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
Post #: 1
RE: Best Scenarios for PO Play - 1/22/2019 9:09:02 PM   
gwgardner

I enjoyed playing against the AI with the scenarios B41_lgf_5.6 (a Barbarossa scenario) and Invasion Amerika. See my AARs on those runthroughs. For the latter the AAR mentions a few things making the AI experience better.

I've started playing Eastern Front 1941-1945 against the AI now, and it's going well, haven't seen the AI do anything dumb. The scenario designer suggests checking the AI side every few turns to correct things, like rebasing air units. It looks like the scenario designer spent a lot of time with the AI work.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 1/22/2019 9:10:37 PM >

Aggressors: Ancient Rome
My favorite 4x game now.

http://www.slitherine.com/products/723/details/Aggressors.Ancient.Rome

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 2
RE: Best Scenarios for PO Play - 1/22/2019 9:18:56 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Try my Germany 1945 (Last Stand) scenario as the Allies. The German PO will give you a real test.

In general, the denser the objective paths the better for the AI.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 3
RE: Best Scenarios for PO Play - 1/22/2019 9:24:26 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

I enjoyed playing against the AI with the scenario B41_lgf_5.6 (a Barbarossa scenario)....

I'm glad to hear that you liked playing against the AI for that scenario. I spent a lot of time trying to tune it just right. I'm not sure I got the Axis AI correct yet.

Just as an experiment I thought I'd produce a version of the scenario in which the Soviet side plays with a strategic bias of "beserk" just to see what would happen and produced a 5.7 version that has become my favorite version. There's only 40 turns, there's a limited number of units and the map isn't all that large. When I'm not playing against a human opponent this is my goto scenario. I've posted a copy of it here below in case you wanted to see for yourself when the Soviets are beserk. Just rename the file below taking off the ".txt" part to make it an SCE file. It's not zipped just renamed.

EDIT: Alternately you can get it from the original issue of the scenario from here:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4481031&mpage=1&key=%26%2365533%3B

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 1/22/2019 9:28:51 PM >

there's two things that everyone needs to know: (1) 90% of the human race lives near the coast. (2) human beings can't breathe under water.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 4
RE: Best Scenarios for PO Play - 1/23/2019 2:13:42 AM   
Edorf

Not meaning to hijack this thread but since you were discussing scenarios, is it possible to convert older TOAW scenarios to TOAW IV?

Found this reposit site with a huge amount of older scenarios converted to TOAW III:
http://alternatewars.com/Games/TOAW/TOAW.htm

Would be intersiting if some of these could be converted without too much hassle. I`ve still not decided if TOAW is for me since I prefer solo vs AI, but I`m getting there:)

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 5
RE: Best Scenarios for PO Play - 1/23/2019 3:48:07 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edorf

Not meaning to hijack this thread but since you were discussing scenarios, is it possible to convert older TOAW scenarios to TOAW IV?

Found this reposit site with a huge amount of older scenarios converted to TOAW III:

Would be intersiting if some of these could be converted without too much hassle. I`ve still not decided if TOAW is for me since I prefer solo vs AI, but I`m getting there:)

TOAW IV can load TOAW III scenarios. Older than TOAW III may need to be saved into TOAW III first - I haven't checked it.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Edorf)
Post #: 6
RE: Best Scenarios for PO Play - 1/23/2019 4:27:37 AM   
Edorf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

TOAW IV can load TOAW III scenarios. Older than TOAW III may need to be saved into TOAW III first - I haven't checked it.

I came across a TOAW III scenario converter in this older thread:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3748920&mpage=1&key=�

If this converter can convert Cow\WotY and Vol.1 scenarios to TOAW III could these be converted again in the IV editor? Probably too good to be true.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 7
RE: Best Scenarios for PO Play - 1/23/2019 3:50:52 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

I came across a TOAW III scenario converter in this older thread:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3748920&mpage=1&key=�

If this converter can convert Cow\WotY and Vol.1 scenarios to TOAW III could these be converted again in the IV editor? Probably too good to be true.

Somebody will have a way to convert any old TOAW scenario. There are still people with TOAW I on their PCs.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Edorf)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Best Scenarios for PO Play Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI